Baylor

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

2006MD

Beda hell ker 4 Kalifonya
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
The Baylor program that is always rated as a top program...is that Houston or Dallas?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
axm397 said:

This forum has not really had many comments or opinions from Baylor/UT. Is there anyone out there that has a first hand opinon of the program there. The scutwork.com section has not been updated for a long time.

I am a PGY4 from Baylor/UT. PM me for specifics. Below are my thoughts with only about 8 1/2 more months to go!

Baylor/UT has been a leader in SCI, TBI and inpatient rehabilitation for years. We continue to be strong in these areas and anyone wanting to focus on this side of PM&R will like the program--> We are EXCELLENT in the "Rehabilitation" side of PM&R after the training at TIRR (TBI/Stroke, SCI, MS) VA SCI Service, Hermann (polytrauma), TCH (pedi) and all other hospitals at the TMC for general bread and butter stuff. After finishing here we can virtually practice in any inpatient rehabiliation setting with a lot of CONFIDENCE!

As far as the "Physical Medicine" side--> we have room to improve!!! Currently the residents feel that we do not get enough musculoskeletal experience during our training secondary to a lack of musculoskeletal faculty. We do have a fair amount of experience with non-interventional pain, but almost no experience with actual spinal injections. We do have an annual cadaver injection course, but nothing is better than injecting the real thing. As far as procedures, other than spinal injections, we get a ton of experience with neurolytic injections (phenol, botox) and really would not need to do a TBI/Spasticity fellowship after residency to learn and be comfortable with these. We also do a lot of trigger points and peripheral joint injections, but this is dependent on how aggressive the resident is. We all wish we had more months of EMG (we get 4 months). Dr. Faye Tan is one of the EMG gurus and she is an excellent mentor. By the time we graduate we all get at least the minimum 200.

In summary, I have no issues with the amount of inpatient- catastrophic injury training we get. We are definitely "elite" in that category. For the physical medicine aspect--> First of all, if you want to do injections and do not want to spend another year in fellowship to learn them- do not go to BCM/UT--> you will be unhappy. If you want to learn basic general physical medicine this program will provide that, but we are definitely not "elite" in that respect. I can honestly say, after speaking with the alumni--> we do get great overall training (rehabilitation greater than physical medicine) and are trained to be EXCELLENT GENERAL PHYSIATRISTS.

I chose this program because I initially didnt know what I wanted to focus on and felt that it would give me the best overall training to be a general physiatrist. I am happy with my choice because the program does live up to my expectations. I am not going to be a "needle jockey" (nor do I want to be), but I will be comfortable with the needle after a fellowship--> We usually get what we want coming from BCM/UT anyway.