Baylor

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mahylo

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know anything about the Baylor system in tx, particularly Dallas?

How good is Baylor Dallas?
Is it better than Houston?
Is it affiliated with Houston or does it just share the same name? Is it in the same tier of IM programs as UTSW?
Is Houston in the same tier as UTSW?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Baylor Dallas is not affiliated with Baylor Houston. I have heard that Baylor Dallas is somewhat of a "cush" place to do IM. The rumor is that the training there is not that great as many of the private docs are not very interested in teaching. However, it can be a good place to do residency if you are interested in going into private practice in Dallas and they do have decent fellowship placement for a "community" program.

UTSW is definitely the biggest name in Texas and probably has the best fellowship placement. In terms of actual training, Baylor Houston is probably pretty close.

John

Overall, Baylor University Medical Center (Baylor- Dallas) is an outstanding program. I spent a month there and loved it. The quality of the teaching was excellent. Just like in University programs, some attendings like to teach more than others.

This is a community program, with a "academic" feel. In the past this was probably a "cush" program, but probably not anymore, because while all the other IM programs are switching to night float, the chair at BUMC strongly believes in continuity of care, and thus keeping night-call. The result- a solid/busy 30-36 hour shift q5. Open ICU, so you will always have critical patients, and at the end of residency you will be very good at critical care. A strong hospitalist team only gives the IM teaching service interesting/challenging cases, so you are virtually guaranteed not to have a bunch of rule out MIs, pneumonias, or whatever filling up your census.

A little history...Baylor College of Medicine (Houston) was located in Dallas at Baylor University Medical Center (BUMC) until it moved after WWII. Lots of history and tradition at this hospital (100 yrs old). You are treated very well at this hospital, and will definitely learn plenty of medicine, and be practically guaranteed a job in Dallas when you graduate. ONLY program in TX with 100% pass rate on IM boards- look for yourself on the ABIM website.

Botton line- If you want to work 80-100 hrs per week, go to Baylor Houston or UTSW. If you want a life, good training, and to be treated well, go to Baylor Dallas.

Please note that I was a little cautious in espousing the greatness of Baylor- Dallas, as it is a small program that is somewhat difficult to match into, and I don't want too much competition. However, I figured since most of their interview slots were already full, it was probably safe.

Later, Crypt

Members don't see this ad :)
To be fair:

Baylor College of Medicine in Houston IM residents have maxed out at 76 hours per week on the busiest (CCU) rotations over the last several year. The average is NOT 80-100, however, Baylor in Dallas may have a lower average. I don't know about UTSW.

I spent two months at Baylor Dallas this fall, and I thought it was a great place. Granted, I've never rotated at a place like UTSW or BCM, so I can't really compare them, but I can guarantee that it will be a different experience.

The biggest difference I noticed from where I go to school is that the residency does not support the hospital. Like Crypt said, there's a teaching service who often get hand-picked interesting cases to learn from. The pathology I saw there was amazing.

There are differences to keep in mind, however. It's a private program, so your pts have different attendings that you'll sometimes have to check in with. You don't round on all your pts with one attending in the traditional sense. By the same token, you won't have exactly the same autonomy as somewhere like UTSW, but still still a good amount - most of the private attendings are very good about staying hands off.

You still have a team attending, with whom you have table rounds three times weekly. UTSW students rotate thru Baylor. The students usually present a couple of cases at rounds, and then you spend an hour and a half discussing them. A number of the attendings were trained at UTSW, so you're learning from good people.

Overall, I think it's a great place to train. They're very focused on teaching, and you'll see a lot of great stuff. If you want "the Parkland experience," Baylor Dallas isn't it, though. It's a personality choice.