Baylor's Psy.D.: Tips For Getting In?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wannabepsychdr

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Baylor's Psy.D. program is, without a doubt, my first choice for graduate training. I'm hoping to hear from current students, former students, or anyone who has interviewed there about...

1. What makes an application attractive enough for them to request an interview? Are there certain things that stand out to Baylor above others?

2. What preparations can I make to become an "ideal" candidate?

3. What types of questions were asked during the interview? Other than the interview, what else happens on interview day?

4. What is your impression of the faculty? How would you describe your interactions with them?

5. Anything about being a Psy.D. student at Baylor, and/or what it takes to get in.

THANKS!

Members don't see this ad.

Baylor's Psy.D. program is, without a doubt, my first choice for graduate training. I'm hoping to hear from current students, former students, or anyone who has interviewed there about...

1. What makes an application attractive enough for them to request an interview? Are there certain things that stand out to Baylor above others?

High GPA/GRE, a willingness to visit first, having a well written personal statement

Score high on GRE and GPA, they can have and do have the pick of the litter so to speak from the Psy.D. pool. Typical scores are high, and they are selective. Make sure to have a good mix of clinical and research experience. Both are valued at this program.

3. What types of questions were asked during the interview? Other than the interview, what else happens on interview day?
They took a picture of me. That was a little odd. The interviews were straight forward. You do get a quick campus tour IIRC.

4. What is your impression of the faculty? How would you describe your interactions with them?
More research focused than I had initially thought, some were a little odd in their mannerisms, but nothing negative.

5. Anything about being a Psy.D. student at Baylor, and/or what it takes to get in.

THANKS!
I didn't get accepted, but it looked like a fine program, I only managed to get to the interview. I really wanted to get in, but in hindsight, I really wasn't a good match for the program and they weren't the best match for me either.

THANKS!

Baylor is a good program and they are attractive largely because they have good funding and accept a small number of students. I have colleagues who have graduated from there who are solid and competent psychologists.

I was accepted there (about 10 years ago now) and decided against going because:
1) their multicultural/diversity training and emphasis seemed lacking and was not what I experienced at other top schools (Wright State, Rutgers, even the University of Denver);
2) they are a Baptist institution and, even though they said the PsyD program was not religious in nature, I found there to be more of a religious influence when I interviewed than I had expected;
3) living and training in Waco.

Things may have changed since then. Just my 2.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the info...

I applied to Baylor earlier this year but didn't even get an interview. A little about myself. I'm 24, BS in Education, 4.00 GPA, 1170 GRE, 3 years high school teaching experience in addition to volunteer work with at-risk youth and kids in crisis. A friend of mine is the Psych Department Chair at a local university - she looked through my application and said she thought I had a good shot. I am lacking in research experience but hoping to gain some soon.

I definitely want to work towards a doctorate in psychology (either Ph.D. or Psy.D. - preferrably Baylor's Psy.D. or one that's just as reputable) BUT, until I can apply again, I'm enrolling in a community counseling masters program through a department of educational psychology. At the end of two years you can sit for your LPC license.

Will working on this masters hurt me? Will the research experience I'm able to squeeze in over the next 10 months make me a more attractive candidate? Any suggestions based on what I've shared? What other Psy.D. programs, other than Rutgers, would you suggest? Pepperdine? University of Indiana? George Washington University?

Thanks!

Not an expert on Baylor, but more research never hurts. Though 10 months is pretty minimal...for PhDs, people typically have at least a year or two of being an RA, and often a year or two of full-time employment in a research setting. Obviously its emphasized less at PsyD programs, but I imagine even 10 months is on the low side.

I don't know if you've taken the psych GRE but since you weren't a psych major its a really good idea to do so. Of course, this means studying your butt off and nailing it.

Also, your general GREs are rather low, though your GPA mitigates that somewhat. I'd definitely consider retaking. Shoot for a minimum of 1300's to impress, though 1200's is probably "sufficient" to be considered at most places.

Lastly, don't get too set on one school. Most people apply 10-15 places and are happy to get 2 or 3 acceptances. That's not to say you shouldn't aim for Baylor if its a great fit for you, but its important to recognize that its generally a bad idea to put all your eggs in one basket.

Thanks for the info...

I applied to Baylor earlier this year but didn't even get an interview. A little about myself. I'm 24, BS in Education, 4.00 GPA, 1170 GRE, 3 years high school teaching experience in addition to volunteer work with at-risk youth and kids in crisis. A friend of mine is the Psych Department Chair at a local university - she looked through my application and said she thought I had a good shot. I am lacking in research experience but hoping to gain some soon.

I definitely want to work towards a doctorate in psychology (either Ph.D. or Psy.D. - preferrably Baylor's Psy.D. or one that's just as reputable) BUT, until I can apply again, I'm enrolling in a community counseling masters program through a department of educational psychology. At the end of two years you can sit for your LPC license.

Will working on this masters hurt me? Will the research experience I'm able to squeeze in over the next 10 months make me a more attractive candidate? Any suggestions based on what I've shared? What other Psy.D. programs, other than Rutgers, would you suggest? Pepperdine? University of Indiana? George Washington University?

Thanks!

Assuming you have a good core of psychology classes, I wouldn't waste time on a Masters. I don't think it will put you over the top when you have a 4.0 GPA. The value of a Masters degree is somewhat equivocal in regards to how it affects the admissions process. What I believe will help you is getting a higher GRE score, you really want a 1300 if you can pull it off. It's not an unreasonable stretch from where you are.

A year of research should be enough to help, but without that GRE score you are going to need something special to get your application over the top. I would call the director of the program and talk to him/her (used to be a her when I applied.) If it is the same person I remember, I suspect that they will be happy to discuss the weaknesses in your application and how to strengthen your application for next year. I would get my information regarding my candidacy with any program from the people running the program.

Mark