You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Bayside Anesthesia Medical Group
Started by Bejeweled
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
What percent of the time are you in the OR vs being "available" compared to partners. I'd guess a lot more. Therefore the 71k buy in is probably bull**** and actually much higher. Don't know anything about the group, but that is the obvious way to **** over new people.
You don’t want to be at the whims of OR inefficiencies, cancellations, late surgeons, and other factors.
No reason to have a lower income than partners in this market (unless partner total comp is amazing). Even in Santa Monica.
No reason to have a lower income than partners in this market (unless partner total comp is amazing). Even in Santa Monica.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
That’s a long time to partnership
How do you get anyone to take call with this sort of model
How do you get anyone to take call with this sort of model
The senior partners probably take all the easy home call with a nice fat stipend for little to no time in the hospital. When not on call, they’ve got the quickest and most efficient rooms every day. They’ll just chalk it up to surgeon preference.
The junior partners probably work the late calls. They’ll badger the nurses to get that add on buttock I&D in the OR right away so they can start collecting their $400/hr for OR time.
The “partnership-track” plebeians probably sit around in the lounge waiting to see when they’ll be called for that random emergency in the middle of the day so they can start collecting their $300/hr. You see, this is how the group shows the hospital that they are always available.
I can’t speak for the market in the area, but in general this sounds like a terrible job. OR utilization in most hospitals is pretty lousy. If they run at 75% efficiency (very best you can likely hope for) then you are getting $225/hr now and $300/hr as a partner. I would expect around 65-70% efficiency on a standard full day schedule and 60% for late shifts, call etc. That puts you at 3 years of $180-210/hr. Then after 3 years you are getting $240-270/hr.
The buy in is 71k plus lost wages. If you work 45 hrs/wk, 44 wks/yr for 3 years and you are getting $60/hr less, you’ve given up another $356,400. Overall you are looking at about the equivalent of 500k in wages. That’s your true buy in. That’s a lot for a job that doesn’t seem amazing.
The buy in is 71k plus lost wages. If you work 45 hrs/wk, 44 wks/yr for 3 years and you are getting $60/hr less, you’ve given up another $356,400. Overall you are looking at about the equivalent of 500k in wages. That’s your true buy in. That’s a lot for a job that doesn’t seem amazing.
What exactly are you buying into? Makes no sense for an anesthesia group
Good will and relationships with the admin are a foogazi
Good will and relationships with the admin are a foogazi
I guess it's better than when they were offering 200s for or time
Its a drama filled place with a lot of characters. The director or principal is a goofball. They have some nerdy docs and some athlete docs that somehow all seem to get along. Whenever I locum there I always get some horrible add on at like 245 but I'm saved because I leave at 3.
This group has been discussed multiple times here. Nothing good came out.
Their previous partnership track timeline was three years to Junior Partner, followed by two years to Full Partner, followed by three year buy-in (15%, 10%, 5%), followed by one to two years to receive voting rights. Almost a decade before becoming a vested partner!
Does “three years to partnership” mean Junior Partner? Or Full Partner with voting rights?
Does “three years to partnership” mean Junior Partner? Or Full Partner with voting rights?
Cmon guys. Bayside high. Saved by the bell
This is about as manipulative as you can get. 9-10 years before becoming a full partner? There is a nationwide shortage of anesthesiologists. No one should put up with this.Their previous partnership track timeline was three years to Junior Partner, followed by two years to Full Partner, followed by three year buy-in (15%, 10%, 5%), followed by one to two years to receive voting rights. Almost a decade before becoming a vested partner!
Does “three years to partnership” mean Junior Partner? Or Full Partner with voting rights?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
This group is famous for allocating garbage rooms with gaps to the junior people.
Why would you take this job when you can work 7-3 for $550 + academic benefits while supervising quality residents 3 blocks away?
Why would you take this job when you can work 7-3 for $550 + academic benefits while supervising quality residents 3 blocks away?
Perfect example of predatory pp groups that existed before amcs….
is this really ucla pay nowadays?This group is famous for allocating garbage rooms with gaps to the junior people.
Why would you take this job when you can work 7-3 for $550 + academic benefits while supervising quality residents 3 blocks away?
Bayside is offering the following:
“$300 an hour if you take call
$275 an hour if just outpatient
Cardiac is 1hr stipend per day
3 years to partnership”
Pay is for OR time, not a guaranteed 8 or 10 or 12 hour shift like Cedars or Kaiser
“$300 an hour if you take call
$275 an hour if just outpatient
Cardiac is 1hr stipend per day
3 years to partnership”
Pay is for OR time, not a guaranteed 8 or 10 or 12 hour shift like Cedars or Kaiser
Man. This is so bad on so many levels even on the low end the practice still will make $50/unit (and I’m factoring in hospital subsidies) and medi cal and Medicare
You are just getting paid for OR time which is even worst than getting paid per unit
60 min Or time $300
60 min knee scope (let’s say that’s a min 9 units) ($450) ($50/unit)
Why would anyone agree to this type of pay model.
The partners aren’t making $400/hr OR time. Usually in these practices they add 7-10% admin fees and pad their income.
I’ve see this playbook in the San Francisco area. My groomsmen got burned bad. Really bad. Money isn’t a big deal to him. He doesn’t have any kids and likes to travel and ride his motorcycle. So he’s a perfect fit for a practice like this this. But even he didn’t he felt ripped off. And he was fine making 250k a year.
You are just getting paid for OR time which is even worst than getting paid per unit
60 min Or time $300
60 min knee scope (let’s say that’s a min 9 units) ($450) ($50/unit)
Why would anyone agree to this type of pay model.
The partners aren’t making $400/hr OR time. Usually in these practices they add 7-10% admin fees and pad their income.
I’ve see this playbook in the San Francisco area. My groomsmen got burned bad. Really bad. Money isn’t a big deal to him. He doesn’t have any kids and likes to travel and ride his motorcycle. So he’s a perfect fit for a practice like this this. But even he didn’t he felt ripped off. And he was fine making 250k a year.
Neither of these entities guarantees shiftsBayside is offering the following:
“$300 an hour if you take call
$275 an hour if just outpatient
Cardiac is 1hr stipend per day
3 years to partnership”
Pay is for OR time, not a guaranteed 8 or 10 or 12 hour shift like Cedars or Kaiser
D
deleted87051
Man. This is so bad on so many levels even on the low end the practice still will make $50/unit (and I’m factoring in hospital subsidies) and medi cal and Medicare
You are just getting paid for OR time which is even worst than getting paid per unit
60 min Or time $300
60 min knee scope (let’s say that’s a min 9 units) ($450) ($50/unit)
A knee scope is 4 base units. Standard time units are 15min. A 60 min knee scope would be 8 units. @$50/unit it’s $400.
Private insurers will give u another unit for Asa class (I don’t think Medicare gives u extra unit). U can classify 50% of the USA population as Asa class 3 easily obesity, sleep apnea, etc.A knee scope is 3 base units. Standard time units are 15min. A 60 min knee scope would be 7 units. @$50/unit it’s $350.
D
deleted87051
Private insurers will give u another unit for Asa class (I don’t think Medicare gives u extra unit). U can classify 50% of the USA population as Asa class 3 easily obesity, sleep apnea, etc.
Also was not aware that knee scopes (29881) are 4 base units now. I edited my post to reflect that. But yes hourly vs unit pay really depends on many factors (payer mix, case mix, turnover). If you’re doing mitraclips all day, units win. OTOH, unit pay only pays for OR time+transport to PACU or ICU time. It never pays for break/turnover time between cases.
Last edited by a moderator:
Private insurers will give u another unit for Asa class (I don’t think Medicare gives u extra unit). U can classify [emoji[emoji[emoji638][emoji639][emoji[emoji6[emoji640][emoji638]][emoji640][emoji6[emoji640][emoji637]]][emoji[emoji638][emoji639][emoji[emoji6[emoji640][emoji638]][emoji640][emoji640]][emoji[emoji6[emoji640][emoji638]][emoji640][emoji640]]]][emoji[emoji[emoji638][emoji639][emoji[emoji6[emoji640][emoji638]][emoji640][emoji6[emoji640][emoji637]]][emoji[emoji638][emoji639][emoji[emoji6[emoji640][emoji638]][emoji640][emoji640]][emoji[emoji6[emoji640][emoji638]][emoji640][emoji640]]]][emoji639][emoji[emoji6[emoji640][emoji638]][emoji640][emoji6[emoji640][emoji637]]][emoji[emoji638][emoji639][emoji[emoji6[emoji640][emoji638]][emoji640][emoji640]][emoji[emoji6[emoji640][emoji638]][emoji640][emoji6[emoji640][emoji637]]]]][emoji[emoji6[emoji640][emoji638]][emoji640][emoji6[emoji640][emoji637]]][emoji[emoji[emoji638][emoji639][emoji[emoji6[emoji640][emoji638]][emoji640][emoji6[emoji640][emoji637]]][emoji[emoji638][emoji639][emoji[emoji6[emoji640][emoji638]][emoji640][emoji640]][emoji[emoji6[emoji640][emoji638]][emoji640][emoji640]]]][emoji639][emoji[emoji6[emoji640][emoji638]][emoji640][emoji6[emoji640][emoji637]]][emoji[emoji638][emoji639][emoji[emoji6[emoji640][emoji638]][emoji640][emoji640]][emoji[emoji6[emoji640][emoji638]][emoji640][emoji6[emoji640][emoji637]]]]]][emoji[emoji638][emoji639][emoji[emoji6[emoji640][emoji638]][emoji640][emoji640]][emoji[emoji6[emoji640][emoji638]][emoji640][emoji640]]]% of the USA population as Asa class [emoji[emoji[emoji638][emoji639][emoji[emoji6[emoji640][emoji638]][emoji640][emoji6[emoji640][emoji637]]][emoji[emoji638][emoji639][emoji[emoji6[emoji640][emoji638]][emoji640][emoji640]][emoji[emoji6[emoji640][emoji638]][emoji640][emoji640]]]][emoji639][emoji[emoji6[emoji640][emoji638]][emoji640][emoji6[emoji640][emoji637]]][emoji[emoji638][emoji639][emoji[emoji6[emoji640][emoji638]][emoji640][emoji640]][emoji[emoji6[emoji640][emoji638]][emoji640][emoji6[emoji640][emoji637]]]]] easily obesity, sleep apnea, etc.
Some private insurers have dropped ASA classification for extra units. Another spear into our reimbursement.
Also was not aware that knee scopes (29881) are 4 base units now. I edited my post to reflect that. But yes hourly vs unit pay really depends on many factors (payer mix, case mix, turnover). If you’re doing mitraclips all day, units win. OTOH, unit pay only pays for OR time+transport to PACU or ICU time. It never pays for break/turnover time between cases.
I thought it was 3 for diagnostic, 4 if they do anything
D
deleted87051
Anyone have any details on the other private groups in the LA area like Pasadena or Torrance? Are their starting packages any better or are all LA area jobs similar to this?
I may be out of date but I think most LA jobs still pay by unit production+stipends. Not hourly.
Kaiser does offer a good signon bonus. One of our new gyn’s is married to an anesthesiologist and he took a job with Kaiser because they could use the signon bonus at this stage in their career. I don’t think many private practices could match it.
Last edited by a moderator:
D
deleted87051
I thought it was 3 for diagnostic, 4 if they do anything
In almost 30 years, I’ve never done a diagnostic knee scope. I can’t find a code for diagnostic knee scope in abeoCoder (2988x).
NoAnyone have any details on the other private groups in the LA area like Pasadena or Torrance? Are their starting packages any better or are all LA area jobs similar to this?
Can you please, please, please update your Tapatalk app?Some private insurers have dropped ASA classification for extra units. Another spear into our reimbursement.
Feedback - Posts in thread contain long sequences of nested “[emoji …]” strings
For example, from 2024-2025 Mayo Clinic - Minnesota: Pre-II R [emoji[emoji639][emoji6[emoji640][emoji637]][emoji[emoji6[emoji640][emoji638]][emoji640][emoji639]][emoji[emoji6[emoji640][emoji638]][emoji640][emoji639]]] And now, here it is in plain text (what I see in the email notifications…...
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I was wondering why we kept seeing that!Can you please, please, please update your Tapatalk app?
![]()
Feedback - Posts in thread contain long sequences of nested “[emoji …]” strings
For example, from 2024-2025 Mayo Clinic - Minnesota: Pre-II R [emoji[emoji639][emoji6[emoji640][emoji637]][emoji[emoji6[emoji640][emoji638]][emoji640][emoji639]][emoji[emoji6[emoji640][emoji638]][emoji640][emoji639]]] And now, here it is in plain text (what I see in the email notifications…...forums.studentdoctor.net
Sorry peeps, I was using the mobile version of the SDN app. I’m on tapTalk now[emoji2]
So much better. Thanks!Sorry peeps, I was using the mobile version of the SDN app. I’m on tapTalk now[emoji2]
I'm still using the SDN app and don't seem to be having the same problem? I'm on Android.So much better. Thanks!
Apparently it was an iOS related thingI'm still using the SDN app and don't seem to be having the same problem? I'm on Android.
Can you help me understand how this would be different than being paid by base units? For my lizard brain, I assume you are at the whim of OR inefficiencies regardless of pay structure.I can’t speak for the market in the area, but in general this sounds like a terrible job. OR utilization in most hospitals is pretty lousy. If they run at 75% efficiency (very best you can likely hope for) then you are getting $225/hr now and $300/hr as a partner. I would expect around 65-70% efficiency on a standard full day schedule and 60% for late shifts, call etc. That puts you at 3 years of $180-210/hr. Then after 3 years you are getting $240-270/hr.
The buy in is 71k plus lost wages. If you work 45 hrs/wk, 44 wks/yr for 3 years and you are getting $60/hr less, you’ve given up another $356,400. Overall you are looking at about the equivalent of 500k in wages. That’s your true buy in. That’s a lot for a job that doesn’t seem amazing.
Can you help me understand how this would be different than being paid by base units? For my lizard brain, I assume you are at the whim of OR inefficiencies regardless of pay structure.
If you have a lot of shorter cases, you’d get hosed with the hourly system based on OR time due to long turnovers/waiting around for surgeons/different surgeons in same OR with different start times/nursing delays etc. Also If you are unit based, you’d be naturally incentivized to be more efficient and churn out more cases. With the strictly OR time model, you get punished for being efficient.
Even with similar OR utilization rates, having a decent blended unit value and being paid time units AND startup units will let you come out way ahead most days except for maybe the rare two 6 hr crani days where it could be more equal.
Kaiser SoCal is offering $250/hr for the entire shift and not just OR time and some local groups are doing near $300-325/hr for per diem for the whole shift as well. IMHO these are better options than this setup.
Last edited:
250/hr for crna or MD? For later, Fxxk it.If you have a lot of shorter cases, you’d get hosed with the hourly system based on OR time due to long turnovers/waiting around for surgeons/different surgeons in same OR with different start times/nursing delays etc. Also If you are unit based, you’d be naturally incentivized to be more efficient and churn out more cases. With the strictly OR time model, you get punished for being efficient.
Even with similar OR utilization rates, having a decent blended unit value and being paid time units AND startup units will let you come out way ahead most days except for maybe the rare two 6 hr crani days where it could be more equal.
Kaiser SoCal is offering $250/hr for the entire shift and not just OR time and some local groups are doing near $300-325/hr for per diem for the whole shift as well. IMHO these are better options than this setup.
Kaiser LA is paying locums 375/hr...whether you're in the OR or not
Kaiser proper LA. ? Like within 30 min downtown. Or way off FontanaKaiser LA is paying locums 375/hr...whether you're in the OR or not
LA proper, SCPMG is having a real crisis in hiring is what I've heard, the ever increasing rates of PP/locums hasn't kept up with the Kaiser model and they can't increase the salary because of the downstream effect it has on their pension. Hence their large sign on bonus, people who can do the math though realize it's not competitive, even taking into account the pension and especially in the high cost of living thereKaiser proper LA. ? Like within 30 min downtown. Or way off Fontana
My Florida former colleague is back in LA now says Kaiser north county is paying $390/hr now as wellLA proper, SCPMG is having a real crisis in hiring is what I've heard, the ever increasing rates of PP/locums hasn't kept up with the Kaiser model and they can't increase the salary because of the downstream effect it has on their pension. Hence their large sign on bonus, people who can do the math though realize it's not competitive, even taking into account the pension and especially in the high cost of living there
Glad the rates are up.
Last edited:
They’re going to have to rearrange, Ive heard some are getting rid of the pension for a 401k as the increasing salaries won’t make it soluble. I don’t know all the technical details of the PMGs or how they interact with Kaiser itself…I always thought of them as a large multi speciality PP group with benefits and retirement tied to the hospital plan. Do the nurses and Kaiser employees have the same pension? If their playbook is to offer bigger sign on bonuses to get people in the golden handcuffs I think they’re underestimating the shortage and how long it will last. I’ve talked to two people who I trust, one stayed on at my training program I was in and one moved into admin at a large hospital chain I worked at. The two points I learned: almost half the class in my training program went into locums, when I finished none did. For a moderately desirable metro area the going price for an anesthesiologist working full time is 700k w2. My friend who told me this said this isn’t what they’ll offer but is their ceiling for people smart enough to negotiate.
If you’re single/spouse can travel you’re in the best position possible right now, can work 6 months a year and make anywhere from 400-600k depending on how much you want to work. I worked with a good crna who sold his house and bought an RV with his wife who did tech work from home. Nice dude, knew what he was doing, getting anywhere from 200-350/hr, no mortgage, school loans paid. Eventually we started talking which is why I know his rates, he was attempting to buy beachfront property in the Cayman Islands as an investment, told me frankly most anesthesiologists don’t bargain and don’t know how much they’re worth.
If you’re single/spouse can travel you’re in the best position possible right now, can work 6 months a year and make anywhere from 400-600k depending on how much you want to work. I worked with a good crna who sold his house and bought an RV with his wife who did tech work from home. Nice dude, knew what he was doing, getting anywhere from 200-350/hr, no mortgage, school loans paid. Eventually we started talking which is why I know his rates, he was attempting to buy beachfront property in the Cayman Islands as an investment, told me frankly most anesthesiologists don’t bargain and don’t know how much they’re worth.
If places can’t fill spots. They must change.They’re going to have to rearrange, Ive heard some are getting rid of the pension for a 401k as the increasing salaries won’t make it soluble. I don’t know all the technical details of the PMGs or how they interact with Kaiser itself…I always thought of them as a large multi speciality PP group with benefits and retirement tied to the hospital plan. Do the nurses and Kaiser employees have the same pension? If their playbook is to offer bigger sign on bonuses to get people in the golden handcuffs I think they’re underestimating the shortage and how long it will last. I’ve talked to two people who I trust, one stayed on at my training program I was in and one moved into admin at a large hospital chain I worked at. The two points I learned: almost half the class in my training program went into locums, when I finished none did. For a moderately desirable metro area the going price for an anesthesiologist working full time is 700k w2. My friend who told me this said this isn’t what they’ll offer but is their ceiling for people smart enough to negotiate.
If you’re single/spouse can travel you’re in the best position possible right now, can work 6 months a year and make anywhere from 400-600k depending on how much you want to work. I worked with a good crna who sold his house and bought an RV with his wife who did tech work from home. Nice dude, knew what he was doing, getting anywhere from 200-350/hr, no mortgage, school loans paid. Eventually we started talking which is why I know his rates, he was attempting to buy beachfront property in the Cayman Islands as an investment, told me frankly most anesthesiologists don’t bargain and don’t know how much they’re worth.
If docs keep complaining and don’t leave. Than the employer has no incentive to increase w2 page.
And I’m glad someone understands the market rate for a w2 anesthesiologist full call taking should be making 700k assuming 40-45 hrs of work call hours inclusive with 10 weeks off
And people keep saying it’s not possible for their market area. It’s because the docs are themselves to blame if they keep taking lower offers.
For a moderately desirable metro area the going price for an anesthesiologist working full time is 700k w2.
As much as I want to believe this idk I just don’t see it out. I’m in dc area (so maybe because it’s a more desirable area?) the average pay for full call taking is still 450k. Does that sound about right?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
As much as I want to believe this idk I just don’t see it out. I’m in dc area (so maybe because it’s a more desirable area?) the average pay for full call taking is still 450k. Does that sound about right?
That’s low.
LA area is into the 600s.
That’s low.
LA area is into the 600s.
Wow that’s awesome. Yeah we still not there in the dc area wtf
If it’s private practice that’s lowAs much as I want to believe this idk I just don’t see it out. I’m in dc area (so maybe because it’s a more desirable area?) the average pay for full call taking is still 450k. Does that sound about right?
What's the market like there? Are multiple hospitals in need of anesthesiologists? Most markets are regional and depends on how much/little supervision they do...Even so 450 is low unless your're working 3-4 days a week and little callWow that’s awesome. Yeah we still not there in the dc area wtf
I’m not saying it doesn’t exist as I’m sure it does, but 700k at 45 hrs a week including call hours is a little optimistic. You can certainly make the 700k but the hours will be a bit higher. If I’m wrong DM me so I can send you a cvIf places can’t fill spots. They must change.
If docs keep complaining and don’t leave. Than the employer has no incentive to increase w2 page.
And I’m glad someone understands the market rate for a w2 anesthesiologist full call taking should be making 700k assuming 40-45 hrs of work call hours inclusive with 10 weeks off
And people keep saying it’s not possible for their market area. It’s because the docs are themselves to blame if they keep taking lower offers.