Bayside Anesthesia Medical Group

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bejeweled

Reaction score
Anyone want to weigh in on this offer from Bayside Anesthesia at Providence Saint John's Health Center in Santa Monica?

Start at $300/hour OR time
Raise every six months
Partners at $400/hour OR time
Three years to partnership
$71K buy in

Members don't see this ad.

What percent of the time are you in the OR vs being "available" compared to partners. I'd guess a lot more. Therefore the 71k buy in is probably bull**** and actually much higher. Don't know anything about the group, but that is the obvious way to **** over new people.

Reactions: 1 user
You don’t want to be at the whims of OR inefficiencies, cancellations, late surgeons, and other factors.

No reason to have a lower income than partners in this market (unless partner total comp is amazing). Even in Santa Monica.

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
How do you get anyone to take call with this sort of model

The senior partners probably take all the easy home call with a nice fat stipend for little to no time in the hospital. When not on call, they’ve got the quickest and most efficient rooms every day. They’ll just chalk it up to surgeon preference.

The junior partners probably work the late calls. They’ll badger the nurses to get that add on buttock I&D in the OR right away so they can start collecting their $400/hr for OR time.

The “partnership-track” plebeians probably sit around in the lounge waiting to see when they’ll be called for that random emergency in the middle of the day so they can start collecting their $300/hr. You see, this is how the group shows the hospital that they are always available.

I can’t speak for the market in the area, but in general this sounds like a terrible job. OR utilization in most hospitals is pretty lousy. If they run at 75% efficiency (very best you can likely hope for) then you are getting $225/hr now and $300/hr as a partner. I would expect around 65-70% efficiency on a standard full day schedule and 60% for late shifts, call etc. That puts you at 3 years of $180-210/hr. Then after 3 years you are getting $240-270/hr.

The buy in is 71k plus lost wages. If you work 45 hrs/wk, 44 wks/yr for 3 years and you are getting $60/hr less, you’ve given up another $356,400. Overall you are looking at about the equivalent of 500k in wages. That’s your true buy in. That’s a lot for a job that doesn’t seem amazing.

Reactions: 3 users
A buy in AND lower pay rate? Yikes

Reactions: 3 users
What exactly are you buying into? Makes no sense for an anesthesia group

Good will and relationships with the admin are a foogazi

Reactions: 2 users
Its a drama filled place with a lot of characters. The director or principal is a goofball. They have some nerdy docs and some athlete docs that somehow all seem to get along. Whenever I locum there I always get some horrible add on at like 245 but I'm saved because I leave at 3.

This group has been discussed multiple times here. Nothing good came out.

Their previous partnership track timeline was three years to Junior Partner, followed by two years to Full Partner, followed by three year buy-in (15%, 10%, 5%), followed by one to two years to receive voting rights. Almost a decade before becoming a vested partner!

Does “three years to partnership” mean Junior Partner? Or Full Partner with voting rights?

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 8 users
Their previous partnership track timeline was three years to Junior Partner, followed by two years to Full Partner, followed by three year buy-in (15%, 10%, 5%), followed by one to two years to receive voting rights. Almost a decade before becoming a vested partner!

Does “three years to partnership” mean Junior Partner? Or Full Partner with voting rights?
This is about as manipulative as you can get. 9-10 years before becoming a full partner? There is a nationwide shortage of anesthesiologists. No one should put up with this.

Reactions: 1 users
This group is famous for allocating garbage rooms with gaps to the junior people.

Why would you take this job when you can work 7-3 for $550 + academic benefits while supervising quality residents 3 blocks away?

Reactions: 4 users
Perfect example of predatory pp groups that existed before amcs….