drowsy12

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Aug 9, 2006
Status
How competitive/good is BCM's IM program? Is it generally seen as competitive to land a spot? thanks

obiwan

10+ Year Member
Mar 26, 2006
Texas
Status
Attending Physician
While I don't go to Baylor, I interviewed there for medicine and I know people who are students there.... Baylor has declined in terms of reputation over the past several years for IM in part because of all the problems it has been encountering with other hospitals and their own private hospital and money woes ( I know that all the attendings at my school highly suggested that I stay away from BCM just because of all these issues) When I interviewed there, all the people said that the political aspects shouldn't affect your training which is true... however, I will say that I was fairly unimpressed during my interview day and it just seemed like no one really cared to impress you about BCM... i don't think it is as competitive to land a position here in medicine

Feb 2, 2010
Status
MD/PhD Student
It's a good school, residents are nice. I think the above poster was being a little too harsh. Their messy "divorce" from Methodist was over and in the past - their attendings are still great, you get a great county + private experience. It is still very well known, very highly respected, and good fellowships will be possible. You'll have a good chance if you're decently smart, but don't need top of your class for a US grad. They do take a small pinch of IMG's yearly, but rest assured, never the US-IMG / Caribbean type US rejects -- perhaps those who have finished training in other countries, are ridiculously published, + have stratospheric scores. If anything I'd consider working with people like that a a plus, given how much I think I'd learn from them.

Also, it seemed like the PD here would go to bat for you for the future. Very Vanderbilt-esque figure. A good program.

ResidentMD

7+ Year Member
Jul 8, 2009
Status
It's a good school, residents are nice. I think the above poster was being a little too harsh. Their messy "divorce" from Methodist was over and in the past - their attendings are still great, you get a great county + private experience. It is still very well known, very highly respected, and good fellowships will be possible. You'll have a good chance if you're decently smart, but don't need top of your class for a US grad. They do take a small pinch of IMG's yearly, but rest assured, never the US-IMG / Caribbean type US rejects -- perhaps those who have finished training in other countries, are ridiculously published, + have stratospheric scores. If anything I'd consider working with people like that a a plus, given how much I think I'd learn from them.

Also, it seemed like the PD here would go to bat for you for the future. Very Vanderbilt-esque figure. A good program.
Spot on. Very, very well put, much unlike many of the other reviews of BCM that I have seen on this forum in the past few months.

Sep 6, 2009
Status
Spot on. Very, very well put, much unlike many of the other reviews of BCM that I have seen on this forum in the past few months.
I also concur. I was very impressed with the quality of the residents, but was very unimpressed with the enthusiasm level of the housestaff- it was as if they were sending me psychic signals to stay away! The chairman was also a bit weird: not once during his 25 minute spiel did he make eye contact with any of us in the room! As for the competitiveness, I think if you are a competitive applicant (top third of class, Honors/HP medicine, strong LOR) you have a great chance to match there. Also, Houston is an AMAZING city, especially is you are an epicurean.

Pkboi24

Don't laugh at my SN
10+ Year Member
Jan 8, 2005
Status
I'll start off by saying that I am a BCM medical student. From my point of view, the program here trains you well as an internist. You see a huge variety and quantity of patients and there is pretty much nothing you won't be able to handle after 3 years. That being said, the workload is pretty heavy. There's very much the no pain, no gain philosophy, one that I myself, subscribe to. There's q4 call all 3 years and you usually cap at 10 patients as an intern. They're trying incredibly hard to abide by the 80 hour work week. The reason most of the residents look like they lack enthusiasm is probably because they're all really tired. Overall, the attendings are awesome and equal or better training can only be found at a handful of other places in the US. If you're a prestige ***** - and we all are to a degree - this program doesn't have the most widely recognized name, but at least in Texas, it's widely held to be in the top 2, the other being UTSW - an equally hardworking program in Dallas.

If you're going into Cardio, I cannot express in words how valuable the Texas Heart Institute at St Luke's is. If you get one of the big name attendings there to write you a fellowship LOR, you, my friend, will be gold.