BCPM Calculation question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BoxtaDoc

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I understand that the AMCAS calculates the BCPM for you, and it includes Biology, Chemistry, Physics and Math. I took a few psych classes that had to do with bio or math...would those count.

For example, I took Biopsychology (Biology??), and Statistics for Psychology (Math??).

Members don't see this ad.

They will typically go by the course prefix. If it has a biology prefix, it's a good candidate for a science class. Psych prefix? Signs point to no.

Also I am told by advisors that if you go to a school that usually has alot of premeds each year, they will go by precedent - what they have counted as BCPM in previous years. At JHU I've heard of crazy combinations just to raise this GPA, some people count some things, and other people won't count the same things, and somehow it all works out for them...

Members don't see this ad :)
I understand that the AMCAS calculates the BCPM for you, and it includes Biology, Chemistry, Physics and Math. I took a few psych classes that had to do with bio or math...would those count.

For example, I took Biopsychology (Biology??), and Statistics for Psychology (Math??).

Do whatever you think and is the best for you. Don't be stupid and miss the opportunity to raise your GPA. Of course in the grand scheme of things it won't make much of a difference at all.

I took a class called "ecology of survival in plants."

It was a writing seminar, about plants and such.

It is under BIOL_SCI, so I'm assuming this would count right? I mean, even though it's a seminar it should count because what else would I otherwise in a bio plant class? It's still bio, yea?

LeafNinja...as someone above posted, if the class has a Biology prefix it will be counted towards the BCPM.

Biopsych and statistics for psych both have psych prefixes, so I am still confusd as to whether it would count towards the BPM...does anyone have a definitive answer?

LeafNinja...as someone above posted, if the class has a Biology prefix it will be counted towards the BCPM.

Biopsych and statistics for psych both have psych prefixes, so I am still confusd as to whether it would count towards the BPM...does anyone have a definitive answer?

The department is irrelevant. If you think that more than 50% of the class was science then make it so on your AMCAS.

I took a Stat class with a Psych prefix and AMCAS counted it. No questions, no hassles.