Be Forewarned: Examkrackers Suck!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aspiringdoc09

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just a rant. You will think that they would have tried to come up with an updated version of material that is near perfect and lack errata. If anyone plans to use their 1H exam, don't bother unless you need extra practice. Many people have said not to use their test to gauge performance, and I learned why today.

I took the test and got a low 20 score. After looking over their explanations for their answers, I learned that I had more right answers than wrong because they didn't calculate correctly. First, it will make you feel like you are dumb, then when you discover that their answers don't make sense, you still question your abilities. The explanations don't make sense and their are numerous errors to explain each choice. You may think they are tell why "A" is wrong but it appears more like B. For instance, one question said the best resonance structure of HPO4^-2 was C, when 2 of the oxygens had 10 valence electrons. I got so mad and decided not to even look at VR and BS. I most likely will go back and look over but be forewarned.

I don't know why people keep endorsing their material. I understand mistakes happen but numerous mistakes? The best thing they might have is EK Verbal 101 and sometimes I doubt that after all the bad experiences with the other crap.

Sorry, just need to explode a little.

Members don't see this ad.

The only reason people use EK is for 101, and even then I have to go through the answer choices manually for typos and some of their reasons are ludicrous. In either way, yeah, I wouldn't use EK for content.

I found EK Bio to be pretty useful. I also liked the 30 minute exams in the other books and EK VR 101 is fabulous.

Members don't see this ad :)
EK is good if you already know the material well, and need a refresher/primer. TBR is on the opposite end, and teaches you quite a bit (more than necessary in fact, but the author fully admits that in the preamble), and would be better if you need to shore up your foundation.

I never bothered with the EK exams though; just Kaplan and AAMCs. EK 101 is good even if some of the passages are downright bastardly.

I say to "each his own" but unless you already are strong in the material, EK is not the best option. EK verbal may be the best compared to all other prep companies, but the content review books seemed to brush over all the material I needed to have a foundation with for physics and orgo.

I feel like this: if you have to go through answer choices meticulously to make sure that the answers they give are actually correct, then it isn't worth the energy or time. For instance, the EK 1001s use to tick me off because in the content books they say not to learn a concept because its not tested but then give you multiple questions on it. People have actually told me, that they say not to know something but then it shows up on the real test.

I hope they update and improve their material because it really has potential to be greate. Just my 0.02. Good luck.

I say to "each his own" but unless you already are strong in the material, EK is not the best option. EK verbal may be the best compared to all other prep companies, but the content review books seemed to brush over all the material I needed to have a foundation with for physics and orgo.

I feel like this: if you have to go through answer choices meticulously to make sure that the answers they give are actually correct, then it isn't worth the energy or time. For instance, the EK 1001s use to tick me off because in the content books they say not to learn a concept because its not tested but then give you multiple questions on it. People have actually told me, that they say not to know something but then it shows up on the real test.

I hope they update and improve their material because it really has potential to be greate. Just my 0.02. Good luck.
I heard the same think too. But EK bio 1001 and the 30 mins exams in their bio book are OK IMO.

The EK series (subject material, 101/1001, audio osmosis) is how 12's become 14's.

One might argue that scoring beyond a 36 is pointless though, and the time and effort could have been put to better use.

And yes, their 1-, 2 and 3 exams should be thrown in the garbage. AAMC is the only reliable source for full length exams.

EK is good if you already know the material well, and need a refresher/primer. TBR is on the opposite end, and teaches you quite a bit (more than necessary in fact, but the author fully admits that in the preamble), and would be better if you need to shore up your foundation.
I agree with this. I read EK twice: before starting my TPRH review (to refresh my memory) and a week before my MCAT date (to review all the concepts). EK works great as a refresher as the set can be quickly read within a few days. The TPRH and TBR sets.. not so much. :laugh: