Be more proficient in my 4th language, or learn a 5th one?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Brother Gob

The Magician
Removed
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Im a non native speaker, and as a 22 year old, I am proficient in 4 languages, fluent in 2 of them, able to hold a conversation adequately in all of them. I am intermediately proficient in Spanish, but I've been wanting to pick up a 5th language. Should I try to aim for intermediate proficiency in the 5th language or just shoot for advanced proficiency in Spanish by the time I apply?

Also, on a side note, is a 21 RC score impressive for a non native speaker?

Also, how much do dental schools actually care about this?

Members don't see this ad.

The difference between four and five languages isn't going to make or break your app. Do what you enjoy.

Reactions: 4 users
The difference between four and five languages isn't going to make or break your app. Do what you enjoy.

Thank you. Is knowing multiple languages a big boost in an application or is it sort of "meh"?

Members don't see this ad :)
For most, better Spanish is far more likely to be useful than a 5th language.

Reactions: 2 users
are you an international?

I think 4 is sufficient

Reactions: 1 user
I speak 4 as well, and I'd definitely go for the proficiency. It'll prove more useful in clinic and in practice after school. You'll have time to go for number five afterward.

Sent from my Pixel using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 users
Thank you. Is knowing multiple languages a big boost in an application or is it sort of "meh"?

Multiple languages is more beneficial for you and your flexibility with patients in clinic than it is to your application and chances of admission.

Multiple languages is more beneficial for you and your flexibility with patients in clinic than it is to your application and chances of admission.
i put some emphasis on my application about speaking 4 languages. it's definitely something that stands out a little i'd say

also funnny thing is on the UCSF or NYU application they asked me what i'd do different in undergrad and I said i'd choose to learn spanish so that I have some exposure in a fifth language. honestly i dunno anyone who can speak 5 langauges. I would go for that if you have enough time to take a few classes so you become decent. but if you have limited time/space for classes i'd focus on a language you already know

If you don't speak at least 5 languages, no program will touch you.

Reactions: 5 users
I'd recommend you focus on your application now such as your LOR and Personal Statement (I assume your DAT is taken by now?). Someone interviewing you should already be impressed with your ability to speak in 4 languages. Only thing I can see is maybe if the interviewer is also fluent in that 5th language but thats quite farfetched I'd say. At the end of the day your metrics get you in the door for an interview and your application plays a vital role in that. Best of luck regardless!

Im a non native speaker, and as a 22 year old, I am proficient in 4 languages, fluent in 2 of them, able to hold a conversation adequately in all of them. I am intermediately proficient in Spanish, but I've been wanting to pick up a 5th language. Should I try to aim for intermediate proficiency in the 5th language or just shoot for advanced proficiency in Spanish by the time I apply?

Also, on a side note, is a 21 RC score impressive for a non native speaker?

Also, how much do dental schools actually care about this?
advance your proficiency in Spanish. I know about 3 languages and would love to solidify my spanish, which is what will matter given the shifting demographics of US.

school wont even look at your app until you are proficient in at least 7.5 languages