Be thankful for...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ambs

Sleeping is underrated!
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
what you've got. I wanted to make a post in which everyone could post what they're thankful for in their lives. I imagine most of us are stressed out and could use a moment of reflection and gratitude for what we DO have.

I don't know how doctors do it - how do they tell family members that their loved one has died? How do doctors deal with losing patients whom they were very close to?

I had my third experience with a patient whom I was very close to pass away this week, and it doesn't get any easier. It tears your heart.

It makes me grateful for what I have-- my supportive family, wonderful friends, and medical school to look forward to this fall. I'm also grateful to be given the opportunity to practice medicine one day and perhaps make a positive impact on people's lives one day. Surely, the paperwork, insurance hassles, governmental involvement, and high cost of medicine today makes medicine almost inhumane. But the patients (yes, even the annoying ones) make it worthwhile. The intangible beauty of medicine makes it worthwhile.

I'm also thankful for ice cream and good shopping! :D

Members don't see this ad.

:( I'm so sorry. The few patients I got to know and saw die really tore my heart out. I wonder if it ever gets any easier; I know it doesn't get easy.

i think this is a great thread idea, ambs!

i am very grateful for everything i am lucky enough to have: great friends, loving family, and a life in which i am in the position to be able to apply for further education. i find myself complaining about med school admissions, rejections, etc, but the thing i forget is that i really have to be grateful for the circumstances i am in and all that i've been given already. it's REALLY easy to lose sight of that, and your thread is a good reminder. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
JuicyDay said:
i think this is a great thread idea, ambs!

i am very grateful for everything i am lucky enough to have: great friends, loving family, and a life in which i am in the position to be able to apply for further education. i find myself complaining about med school admissions, rejections, etc, but the thing i forget is that i really have to be grateful for the circumstances i am in and all that i've been given already. it's REALLY easy to lose sight of that, and your thread is a good reminder. :)

i do try to thank God every day for all the good things I have in my life. And then I know I lose sight of it too easily b/c I really do have a lot to be thankful for. :thumbup:

Good idea for a thread. Indeed it is so easy to let life's circumstances overwhelm us and cause us to forget our blessings. I'm thankful for all the people in my life and for always having my needs met plus some.

Psycho Doctor said:
:( I'm so sorry. The few patients I got to know and saw die really tore my heart out. I wonder if it ever gets any easier; I know it doesn't get easy.

Yeah, I agree - it doesn't get easier. It makes us appreciate life and all of its blessings all the more though.

Thanks JuicyDay and clayito!

I do think it's important for us to remember our blessings in this time of stress, confusion, and even celebration. Failure and misfortune are inevitable in life, and one can only learn from them and move forward with increased strength and resilience. Success is sweet and hard-earned, and for it we must be thankful.

I am grateful for my wit and ability to spice things up. I am grateful for being such a saucy number without even being Latin. I am grateful that I don't have to go to church and listen to some boring sermon about self-denial. Most of all, I am grateful for being such a wonderful dancer.

GuyLaroche said:
I am grateful for my wit and ability to spice things up. I am grateful for being such a saucy number without even being Latin. I am grateful that I don't have to go to church and listen to some boring sermon about self-denial. Most of all, I am grateful for being such a wonderful dancer.

I'm thankful I don't know you in person. You really are the biggest loser I have ever conversed with. I am dumber for interacting with you.

JDAD said:
I'm thankful I don't know you in person. You really are the biggest loser I have ever conversed with. I am dumber for interacting with you.

Wow. You seem to be taking all of this so personally. I am not sure that corresponding (because conversation actually involves speech and not written words) makes you dumber. In fact, I would argue the opposite. Perhaps this was an issue you've had to contend with before encountering me. Yes?

No, I actually agree with JDAD, ur a prick. most of the time. and u psycho doc should open up a club. that'll look good on ur apps. alright.. i know i'm gonna get a lot of heat for this post. but screw it. it has to be said.

virilep said:
No, I actually agree with JDAD, ur a prick. most of the time. and u psycho doc should open up a club. that'll look good on ur apps. alright.. i know i'm gonna get a lot of heat for this post. but screw it. it has to be said.

(Getting back to the initial intent of this thread), and what are you thankful for?

your mom. she's great. and being accepted. that's great too.

Members don't see this ad :)
virilep said:
your mom. she's great. and being accepted. that's great too.

Ha.

(That's all the aphorism you can muster?)

Ok, lets not turn an excellent thread into an anti-Laroche thread.

I'm greatful for the endless opportunities available in this great country. Coming from a less-than-well off family, I appreciate the opportunity to make an excellent living for myself doing something that I love. I wish that more Americans understood that the American Dream really does not exist outside of the U.S. to a large degree - social stratification is based largely upon where one is born in most parts of the world. I am endlessly greatful for what I have. It takes only a short trip outside of the US to understand what poor actually means.

yeah, she wore me out. i'm real tired. tell her thanks again when u see her.

virilep said:

i'm thankful that i really don't have that bad of a life :D there are some people who are really hard off.... i can;t imagine

virilep said:

I am thankful for the concept of relativity. I am thankful that the above post makes me seem so much more mature and smarter. I am thankful that I do not need to rely on this post and others like it to be those things, but tickled nontheless that this post in particular enhances those qualities in me.

Ok, so, back to the thread gentlemen.

virilep said:

That's what I'm talking about. I am not angry. I just wanted larouche to understand that he comes across as a total assface.

All he does is attempt to pick apart what other's say by correcting their grammar or by offering his definitions for words within their posts.

We get the point Larouche, you think your hot ****, the sad thing is it doesn't mean a thing because everyone else hates you.

(However, on a deep level, I do think that his posts might just be sarcasm)

I am grateful that I will have the chance to do what I really want to and have worked so hard for this fall. I'm grateful for my partner, who although sometimes a dork is by and large supportive and sweet, and has stood by my side and shared my joys, sorrows, and responsibilities for the past (almost) 3 years. I'm grateful for our dog, who is the cutest dog to exist anywhere, ever (except when he bites me). I'm grateful for what little family I have, especially my sister. Finally, I'm grateful that who you were or where you came from doesn't have to determine who you become or where you end up. :thumbup:

Mistress S said:
I am grateful that I will have the chance to do what I really want to and have worked so hard for this fall. I'm grateful for my partner, who although sometimes a dork is by and large supportive and sweet, and has stood by my side and shared my joys, sorrows, and responsibilities for the past (almost) 3 years. I'm grateful for our dog, who is the cutest dog to exist anywhere, ever (except when he bites me). I'm grateful for what little family I have, especially my sister. Finally, I'm grateful that who you were or where you came from doesn't have to determine who you become or where you end up. :thumbup:

Word up, sister :thumbup:

Geez I have browsed through a few threads and JDAD and Guy Laroche have been at it in every one! Be thankful that you guys will never have to meet in person or work together. As for what I am thankful for: family, friends, and the chance to go to medical school.

GuyLaroche said:

Clever boy! :laugh:

My momma, to answer your question...I'm most thankful for my mommy!

Oh and GOD as malevolant as "it" sometimes seems.