Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Beating Step I score with Step II

Discussion in 'Step II' started by da3dl3us, Apr 7, 2007.

1. da3dl3us

da3dl3us Space Cowboy

Resident [Any Field]
    Hey dudes,

I got a 225/91 on my Step I. I plan on taking my Step II early to be a bit more competitive for Radiology. The fear, of course, is doing worse on the step II.

So with hard work (I'm taking an easy 2 week rotation then 2 weeks off), is getting over a 225 (preferably 230) doable?

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Villin

Resident [Any Field]
    yes

4. da3dl3us

da3dl3us Space Cowboy

Resident [Any Field]
    lol, thanks! :)

5. Villin

Resident [Any Field]
    seriously, you should be able to add ~10 points to your step 1 score IF you study diligently for those 4 weeks. (how have you done on your shelf exams (especially medicine)?

6. da3dl3us

da3dl3us Space Cowboy

Resident [Any Field]
    I've been doing ok. Around high 70's percentile on the shelf exams. My peds (80s) was my best.

So how early am I to take the StepII if I want the residencies to take note of it when I apply? Is end of September too late?

7. RustNeverSleeps

RustNeverSleeps Walker, Texas Ranger

Medical Student
    That should be fine - you could probably take it by December, depending on if you think you need it to pass the screen versus improve your overall application.

8. Villin

Resident [Any Field]
    are those percentiles or raw scores? either way you should be fine

i believe step 1 scores are used to screen for rads so step 2 isn't going to make or break you, unfortunately. HOWEVER, once you do get passed the screen AND you score significantly above your step 1, then i see no reason why you wouldn't match. that's assuming you also have other things such as research exp, pubs, posters, abstracts. also, do an away rotation at a program you think is within reach.

good luck and i hope you match next year.