Beating Step I score with Step II

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

da3dl3us

Space Cowboy
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey dudes,

I got a 225/91 on my Step I. I plan on taking my Step II early to be a bit more competitive for Radiology. The fear, of course, is doing worse on the step II.

So with hard work (I'm taking an easy 2 week rotation then 2 weeks off), is getting over a 225 (preferably 230) doable?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey dudes,

I got a 225/91 on my Step I. I plan on taking my Step II early to be a bit more competitive for Radiology. The fear, of course, is doing worse on the step II.

So with hard work (I'm taking an easy 2 week rotation then 2 weeks off), is getting over a 225 (preferably 230) doable?

yes

Members don't see this ad :)
seriously, you should be able to add ~10 points to your step 1 score IF you study diligently for those 4 weeks. (how have you done on your shelf exams (especially medicine)?

I've been doing ok. Around high 70's percentile on the shelf exams. My peds (80s) was my best.

So how early am I to take the StepII if I want the residencies to take note of it when I apply? Is end of September too late?

I've been doing ok. Around high 70's percentile on the shelf exams. My peds (80s) was my best.

So how early am I to take the StepII if I want the residencies to take note of it when I apply? Is end of September too late?

That should be fine - you could probably take it by December, depending on if you think you need it to pass the screen versus improve your overall application.

are those percentiles or raw scores? either way you should be fine

i believe step 1 scores are used to screen for rads so step 2 isn't going to make or break you, unfortunately. HOWEVER, once you do get passed the screen AND you score significantly above your step 1, then i see no reason why you wouldn't match. that's assuming you also have other things such as research exp, pubs, posters, abstracts. also, do an away rotation at a program you think is within reach.

good luck and i hope you match next year.