Becoming a Competitive Applicant (Help)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

UhtredsonofUHTRED

New Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi and welcome to my post. I am a 3rd (Junior) Environmental Microbiology major. I am interested in becoming a competitive applicant for any optometry school (Although I would ideally attend whichever is cheapest). I will post below my current stats and I would be interested in any advice that can help me in my goal of getting into optometry school.

Current stats:
I have a 3.73 overall GPA.
I have only one extracurricular activity. I'm a volunteer chemistry tutor with 100+ hours.
And that's really it. Below are my pre-req grades.

Introductory biology, with lab; BIO 1: A; BIO 2: A-
Advanced biology (animal or developmental) N/A - future class
Microbiology, with lab; In progress, projected B.
General/inorganic chemistry, with labs GEN CHEM 1: A+; GEN CHEM 2: A+
Organic chemistry: ORGO 1: A- ; ORGO 2: A
Biochemistry (can be listed under Biology); In progress, projected B.
Mathematics: AP Calculus score (4).
General physics: GEN Physics 1: A+; Gen Physics 2: N/A - future class
Statistical techniques: A
Introductory psychology: In progress, projected A+
English composition**: A+
Additional intensive writing course: A+

Future plans:
Obviously I need to take the OAT. I'm not sure how well I will do on it; I intend to spend most of my senior year preparing for this test as I complete my pre-reqs. Typically, I've done well on standardized tests like the SATs, but who knows, I could panic on the OAT and not do so well. This happened to me on the SATs and consequently, I took it twice and did much better the second time. Anxiety is a bit of issue for me.

I have not much shadowed an optometrist, however, I've spoken to a few and have researched the profession online. I do have a shadowing opportunity lined up with an optometrist for my senior year / this summer.

Additionally, how important is additional volunteer, work, and research experience?
Some ideas I've floated are:
1. Psychology research. Typically, most people I've met who conduct research to pad their resumes focus on advanced scientific concepts in biochemistry, molecular biology, etc. Personally, I think it would be interesting to conduct psychology research in relation to healthcare provider-patient interaction.
2. Working as optometrist technician. I don't feel super stressed to apply immediately to optometry school after I graduate. I wouldn't mind working for a year or two after graduation to gain more experience.


Future profile:
After this year and my senior year, I believe I can likely achieve the following stats:
3.5-3.7 overall GPA.
50-75th percentile OAT score
(Additional volunteer work?)
(Possible research?)

But I am aware that numbers and stats alone, while important, are not sufficient alone for admission.
 
Last edited: