Becoming a Competitive Applicant (Help)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UhtredsonofUHTRED

Reaction score
Hi and welcome to my post. I am a 3rd (Junior) Environmental Microbiology major. I am interested in becoming a competitive applicant for any optometry school (Although I would ideally attend whichever is cheapest). I will post below my current stats and I would be interested in any advice that can help me in my goal of getting into optometry school.

Current stats:
I have a 3.73 overall GPA.
I have only one extracurricular activity. I'm a volunteer chemistry tutor with 100+ hours.
And that's really it. Below are my pre-req grades.

Introductory biology, with lab; BIO 1: A; BIO 2: A-
Advanced biology (animal or developmental) N/A - future class
Microbiology, with lab; In progress, projected B.
General/inorganic chemistry, with labs GEN CHEM 1: A+; GEN CHEM 2: A+
Organic chemistry: ORGO 1: A- ; ORGO 2: A
Biochemistry (can be listed under Biology); In progress, projected B.
Mathematics: AP Calculus score (4).
General physics: GEN Physics 1: A+; Gen Physics 2: N/A - future class
Statistical techniques: A
Introductory psychology: In progress, projected A+
English composition**: A+
Additional intensive writing course: A+

Future plans:
Obviously I need to take the OAT. I'm not sure how well I will do on it; I intend to spend most of my senior year preparing for this test as I complete my pre-reqs. Typically, I've done well on standardized tests like the SATs, but who knows, I could panic on the OAT and not do so well. This happened to me on the SATs and consequently, I took it twice and did much better the second time. Anxiety is a bit of issue for me.

I have not much shadowed an optometrist, however, I've spoken to a few and have researched the profession online. I do have a shadowing opportunity lined up with an optometrist for my senior year / this summer.

Additionally, how important is additional volunteer, work, and research experience?
Some ideas I've floated are:
1. Psychology research. Typically, most people I've met who conduct research to pad their resumes focus on advanced scientific concepts in biochemistry, molecular biology, etc. Personally, I think it would be interesting to conduct psychology research in relation to healthcare provider-patient interaction.
2. Working as optometrist technician. I don't feel super stressed to apply immediately to optometry school after I graduate. I wouldn't mind working for a year or two after graduation to gain more experience.

Future profile:
After this year and my senior year, I believe I can likely achieve the following stats:
3.5-3.7 overall GPA.
50-75th percentile OAT score
(Additional volunteer work?)
(Possible research?)

But I am aware that numbers and stats alone, while important, are not sufficient alone for admission.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited: