hs2013

7+ Year Member
Dec 2, 2010
Status
Well right now I am only in high school but wanted an overview on the steps to becoming a dermatologist. I know I can do it as I am quite smart, only thing I fear is my procrastination or laziness will get in the way. However I am just wondering what are the steps? I know you have to go through 4 year undergrad program, then 4 years med school but after that to become a dermatologist what do you have to do? Like how many years of residency, I have heard it is 5 but I have also heard it is 3? Can someone just explain the whole process thanks?

smiley737

nom nom nom
Apr 21, 2009
Los Angeles
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Well right now I am only in high school but wanted an overview on the steps to becoming a dermatologist. I know I can do it as I am quite smart, only thing I fear is my procrastination or laziness will get in the way. However I am just wondering what are the steps? I know you have to go through 4 year undergrad program, then 4 years med school but after that to become a dermatologist what do you have to do? Like how many years of residency, I have heard it is 5 but I have also heard it is 3? Can someone just explain the whole process thanks?
After med school, you do 4 years of residency (1 intern year in internal medicine, 3 years in dermatology). But for many people it takes longer. I did a year of research after undergrad, and I may do a fellowship year after residency.

N-Surge

Emeritus
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Apr 25, 2005
Status
Attending Physician
Read here to see what people are going through to get there. The answer is not straight forward, when it comes to exactly what one needs to do to reach this goal. And there are many ways to go about, as smiley has already pointed out with regards to years.

sore eye asses

10+ Year Member
Aug 14, 2009
Status
Attending Physician
along the same lines, now that I'm nearly a dermatologist, I was wondering if anyone knows how I can go back to being a highschooler. I don't mean just acting and thinking like one, which i've already got well managed, but actually being one. Please someone let me know what steps i can take so that the hymen of infinite life paths is restored.

I don't want it to be too late to go back, but i fear that it is...

reno911

10+ Year Member
Jul 16, 2009
Status
Attending Physician
along the same lines, now that I'm nearly a dermatologist, I was wondering if anyone knows how I can go back to being a highschooler. I don't mean just acting and thinking like one, which i've already got well managed, but actually being one. Please someone let me know what steps i can take so that the hymen of infinite life paths is restored.

It's never too late. You could always try something like this:

http://bas.berkeley.net/academic.html

dermathalon

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Dec 24, 2008
Status

Hilarious!