Becoming a pharmacist

Started by krn fav
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

krn fav

New Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi!

I am new in this thread, and I am a sophomore at a community college. I am planning on pursuing a career in pharmacy in the future. However, I am kind of stuck right now on whether I should pursue chemical engineering or pharmacy.

Pharmacy takes a lot of time. I need approiximately five more years to get my PharmD, and I still have to undergo the rigorous process of applying to pharmacy schools. I am really nervous about the PCAT, because I am not really good in taking assessment exams. I have a decent GPA, though, but that's just because most of the classes that I took are electives.

My dad, who is an engineer, is encouraging me to go to his field. But I think that it's just really boring, and Physics is not really my thing. He's making a lot of money, and he tells me that he can easily find me a job at his company as soon as I get my Bachelor's, but I just don't know if it's for me.

I have really broad interests. I want to learn other things besides Math and Science, because I am an English and Performing Arts person as well. I would prefer the job that will give me economic stablity and will still allow me to express me creativity. I don't know if there's any room in pharmacy for that.

I know it takes a lot of hard work to be a pharmacist, but they say it's worth it in the end. I just want to know what your opinions are.
 
Hey there! I am an English and Performing Arts person too...but then again I LOVE chemistry. 😍 Sounds like you are a chemistry person as well! 🙂 Pharmacy is definitely a stable career. It's funny, I told my dad in 8th grade that I wanted to be a chemical engineer...of course I had no idea what that meant, but my dad is an engineer of a different sort so I guess that is where that came from. Honestly, I'm 26 and getting just my bachelors in Mgt took me 6 (fun) years...and here I am again because I didn't pursue my original love of chemistry...and I'm into 6 more years. It's really not too long to become a pharmacist. ESPECIALLY if this is your first go-round and that is really what you want to do. I can't tell you which to do. You have to figure out which you would be happier doing and compare that to other factors like salary and stability, etc. But I wouldn't advise including the length of school as a huge factor. Pharmacy wouldn't take that much longer than chem. engineering - if at all.
 
oh and also, there are SO many niches in pharmacy and it seems like there should definitely be room somewhere for creativity. Am I right SDNers? Maybe oncology?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I agree with sexiplexi. I know when I was younger 18-20, I allowed the length of education and cost be a determining factor in the degree I sought. Now, that I have a BS and married I realize that time is not a determining factor.
Having a parent that can help you get your foot into the door is a huge advantage to jump starting a career. I encourage you to consider how engineering could fit into your life. I seem to find that family members can really help out.
Also, it is great to be well-rounded and enjoy the arts, however, if you want to be "economically stable" do those in your spare time, a hobby if you will. IMO That is what I had to learn as well.

Good luck:luck:
 
Could you do an internship at your dad's company? Getting some experience could really help you decide. I think either way you go you can make your career work for you and explore your other interests.