Becoming a pharmacist

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

krn fav

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi!

I am new in this thread, and I am a sophomore at a community college. I am planning on pursuing a career in pharmacy in the future. However, I am kind of stuck right now on whether I should pursue chemical engineering or pharmacy.

Pharmacy takes a lot of time. I need approiximately five more years to get my PharmD, and I still have to undergo the rigorous process of applying to pharmacy schools. I am really nervous about the PCAT, because I am not really good in taking assessment exams. I have a decent GPA, though, but that's just because most of the classes that I took are electives.

My dad, who is an engineer, is encouraging me to go to his field. But I think that it's just really boring, and Physics is not really my thing. He's making a lot of money, and he tells me that he can easily find me a job at his company as soon as I get my Bachelor's, but I just don't know if it's for me.

I have really broad interests. I want to learn other things besides Math and Science, because I am an English and Performing Arts person as well. I would prefer the job that will give me economic stablity and will still allow me to express me creativity. I don't know if there's any room in pharmacy for that.

I know it takes a lot of hard work to be a pharmacist, but they say it's worth it in the end. I just want to know what your opinions are.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey there! I am an English and Performing Arts person too...but then again I LOVE chemistry. :love: Sounds like you are a chemistry person as well! :) Pharmacy is definitely a stable career. It's funny, I told my dad in 8th grade that I wanted to be a chemical engineer...of course I had no idea what that meant, but my dad is an engineer of a different sort so I guess that is where that came from. Honestly, I'm 26 and getting just my bachelors in Mgt took me 6 (fun) years...and here I am again because I didn't pursue my original love of chemistry...and I'm into 6 more years. It's really not too long to become a pharmacist. ESPECIALLY if this is your first go-round and that is really what you want to do. I can't tell you which to do. You have to figure out which you would be happier doing and compare that to other factors like salary and stability, etc. But I wouldn't advise including the length of school as a huge factor. Pharmacy wouldn't take that much longer than chem. engineering - if at all.

oh and also, there are SO many niches in pharmacy and it seems like there should definitely be room somewhere for creativity. Am I right SDNers? Maybe oncology?

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree with sexiplexi. I know when I was younger 18-20, I allowed the length of education and cost be a determining factor in the degree I sought. Now, that I have a BS and married I realize that time is not a determining factor.
Having a parent that can help you get your foot into the door is a huge advantage to jump starting a career. I encourage you to consider how engineering could fit into your life. I seem to find that family members can really help out.
Also, it is great to be well-rounded and enjoy the arts, however, if you want to be "economically stable" do those in your spare time, a hobby if you will. IMO That is what I had to learn as well.

Good luck:luck:

Could you do an internship at your dad's company? Getting some experience could really help you decide. I think either way you go you can make your career work for you and explore your other interests.