amnesia

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 22, 2004
Status (Visible)
I am 16 and I want to become a radiologist. I have looked into all fields and find this one the most exciting simply because I like looking at scans.

Is this a promising field in the next 10 - 15 years?

I read some information in the other threads about, but I didn't read anything about there being too many radiologist. In fact, it's my understanding that there is always a shortage of awesome doctors really.

amnesia

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 22, 2004
Status (Visible)
2014 is the application to get into med school? I will be the class of 2006 to be graduating high school. So med school will look at my high school grades? If so, that's great because I already take 5 AP and make straight A's in them (hoping to pass the tests this May)
Thanks Cuts ;)

wannaberad

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 4, 2003
Status (Visible)
unless he is joking

Med school does NOT look at your high school grades. Though they of course do influence where you go to college, which influences med school admissions.
A nice thing to ask colleges is what % of people who APPLY from their school GET IN. You can actually see this number rise as you go up the academic 'food chain'...several years ago for me this was 60 from Brandeis, 82 from Penn, and 95 from that snooty place in Massachusetts whose name I forget right now.
I don't know what the numbers are like now though.
Radiology is currently a competitive field, so try to get into a good college so you can get into a good med school so you can get into radiology (it helps). There is no telling what it will be like when you apply, though. One possibility to consider is that many films may be outsourced to India, so you might want to consider other specialties as well...ie, don't go into medicine to become a radiologist.

About the Ads

amnesia

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 22, 2004
Status (Visible)
Well, computer programming was my other option, but Wired had an article about outsourcing.

I wanted to go into medicine just to be a radiologist... hum..

So, I guess I could be screwed in anything? I thought outsourcing would be considered malpractice? I have read dozens of articles and one says they can't be outsourced and the other says they could.

I am applying to Yale and Hopkins.

ParisHilton

Sofa King Tired
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 3, 2003
Where the streets have no name
Status (Visible)
Originally posted by amnesia
I have looked into all fields and find this one the most exciting simply because I like looking at scans.
Dude, you're 16 - go smoke a joint (and if you're a troll - also go smoke a joint). How do you know you like looking at scans? Did Fisher-Price come out with a new radiology toy? What exposure do you have to radiology? There are many in their 4th year of med school don't know what they want to do. Sadly, the only people I know who wanted to be computer programmers or radiologists at 16 were brainwashed into these fields since conception. Please tell me you're not one of them. I've worked with too many of them as it is. Your only concern at this point should be who you're taking to the junior prom. Forget about Hopkins or Yale - if you're truly a gunner you'd be applying to those 6 or 7 yr combined programs. Good luck.

amnesia

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 22, 2004
Status (Visible)
Woah, you can combine years? Awesome..

You don't have to be so mean about it... as if you don't want people in your little doctor society.

I've looked at pictures where it shows people in white suits looking at scans and pointing them out and it looked neat

And no I wasn't brainwashed, I am just making choices

Spacedman

amateur vibeologist
15+ Year Member
Dec 2, 2003
The ivory tower
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician

You don't have to be so mean about it... as if you don't want people in your little doctor society.

I've looked at pictures where it shows people in white suits looking at scans and pointing them out and it looked neat

a friend of mine did a combined program at brown, 8 years-- applied out of high school into a straight bachelor-MD program. i think you can shave, at best, a year off the total.

and i think what cuts was saying re: 2014 is that 2014 is when you're likely, at the earliest, to start your internship. another five years *after that* and you can be a radiologist. for comparison: in 1985, you couldn't pay people to go into radiology, and MRI barely existed- that's how much things could change by the time your in a white suit reading scans.

and you may want to, umm, update your "image" of radiology. with telerads, you may be sitting in a dark room in your house in your bathrobe, alone, reading scans for 12 hours a day. not quite as romantic, huh?

spaced

Wrigleyville

Fugitive Tech Consultant
15+ Year Member
Jan 6, 2003
Chicago, IL
Status (Visible)
Northwestern has a 7-year combined BA/MD program. There are other schools that have them as well -- it may be something for you to look into. But like the other posters said, your focus right now needs to be squarely on paying homeless guys to buy beer for you.

JungleBoy

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 2, 2004
Status (Visible)
Hey buddy,
If I were you, I wouldn't be worried about choosing a medical specialty at this point of your life. It's way, way too early for that. The best thing you can do now is to decide whether or not you like medicine. The one advice I'd give you, though, is not to place too much importance on the money you'll get or on how "glamourous" people consider medicine to be. Once you become a med student, and especially once you become a resident/doctor, you won't have 1 minune to even think about this sort of thing. The money is good, but it's definitely not worth going into medicine because of it. No amount of money will pay for all the sacrifices you'll have to go through, if you're not REALLY interested in medicine itself. If you don't love medicine, your life will be miserable.
Medicine is a very dynamic field, both technologicaly and economically speaking. A specialty that pays well and has a good lifestyle today, may be totally different tomorrow. There are several examples of that.
I'd try to make my decision as far as a carreer choice based on more solid information than a picture of a doctor pointing out something on an scan. Try to shadow a radiologist for a day or two, I think that will help you.
All the best,

samsoccer7

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Aug 10, 2003
Status (Visible)
There's discussion over at auntminnie about optho and ENT residency spots being easier to get than rads spots right now. Does anyone agree? It seems kinda ridiculous. They were saying a 234 goes farther for optho or ENT than it does in rads. I say rubbish, but I'm curious.

amnesia

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 22, 2004
Status (Visible)
OK, I will look into career shadowing.... Thanks...

Goober

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Nov 28, 2003
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
Originally posted by Spacedman

in 1985, you couldn't pay people to go into radiology, and MRI barely existed- that's how much things could change by the time your in a white suit reading scans.

and you may want to, umm, update your "image" of radiology. with telerads, you may be sitting in a dark room in your house in your bathrobe, alone, reading scans for 12 hours a day. not quite as romantic, huh?

spaced

Actually in 1985 radiology was fairly still competitive. CT and ultrasound were taking off and there was pretty strong interest. Almost all the graduates from that time went to American medical schools. From the mid 80s to the mid 90s radiology remained competitive. The only time radiology was not competitive was in the 60's, 70's and for about a 3-4 year period during mid to late 1990s.

As far as teleradiology is concerned, I would take working at home in my bathrobe any day over going to a hospital wearing a tie and getting harrassed by clinicians and all the other stuff that comes with working at a hospital.

doc05

2K Member
15+ Year Member
May 24, 2003
U.S.A.
Status (Visible)

you sound pretty pathetic. the fact is that medicine is pretty lame, and 95% of what happens in medicine is a combination of bull---t and repetition. At 16, you should concern yourself with more important things.

doc05

2K Member
15+ Year Member
May 24, 2003
U.S.A.
Status (Visible)
Originally posted by samsoccer7
There's discussion over at auntminnie about optho and ENT residency spots being easier to get than rads spots right now. Does anyone agree? It seems kinda ridiculous. They were saying a 234 goes farther for optho or ENT than it does in rads. I say rubbish, but I'm curious.

can you provide a link?

Docxter

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 27, 2004
Status (Visible)
Originally posted by samsoccer7

The mean boards score for people getting interviews this year at my program was 255. Go figure.

amnesia

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 22, 2004
Status (Visible)
I'm glad I sound pathetic. Wouldn't you want to welcome aspiring doctors? I know I would. There are shortages of them.

samsoccer7

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Aug 10, 2003
Status (Visible)
Hey Docxter, from your earlier posts, I'm guessing you're at MGH or another top 5 program, so I'm not surprised by the 255. The top programs in ENT and Optho are probably in similar situations, but I can't say for sure.

Leukocyte

15+ Year Member
Jul 4, 2003
Status (Visible)
Dear Amnesia:

Please do not go into a profession because it LOOKS COOL. I met many aspiring Med. Students who already decided to go in to Emergency Medicine after watching the FICTIONAL tv show "ER".
That is realy sad. To me Real World Medicine is like the army-It is cool to watch on TV, but it sucks to be in their boots during a war.

So please, before you decide on a profession do your reseach. And like others suggested, shadow doctors in different areas of medicine to get a taste of their everyday life. This way you will look much more professional to an admission commitee than an applicant who wants to go to the hell that is med. school to become an ER doctor "JUST LIKE Dr. CARTER."

Just my 2 cents

PEACE, and Good Luck.

amnesia

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 22, 2004
Status (Visible)
Believe me, I'm not in it for all the "glory." I shouldn't have said that.

There are a lot of doctors out there I wouldn't trust mydog with - and it IS caused by people thinking it's cool or going in mainly for money.

I don't want to be in that situation.

;)

About the Ads
This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.