Bedside Anticoagulation Monitoring

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Praziquantel86

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
My hospital recently started a pharmacist-run inpatient anticoagulation monitoring system, and we're looking into point-of-care monitoring devices. I've done a lot of digging so far, but I haven't been able to find any devices that would be able to cover INR, PT and aPTT at once.

Does anyone know if such a device exists in the U.S.? Also, any opinions you have on the warfarin monitoring devices (CoaguChek, etc.) or pharmacist-run AMS would be much appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

www.royalfree.nhs.uk/pip_admin/Docs/warf_anticoagulant_

This refers to UK practice. Since the advent of LMWH little anticoagulant administered in hospital. I have just had a hip replacement and self administered Tinzaparin for a month following.

Standard long term anticoagulant treatment is warfarin and coagucheck is used by pts with difficulty getting to hospital, ie children.

In the UK machine has to be bought/rented/borrowed by pt. Strips not available on NHS unless local med authority (Primary Care Trust, PCT) authorises.

Please explain to interested but ignorant elderly pharmacist what parameters other than INR are important and why.

regards,
johnep