Beefing up the CV

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GuP

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone had any advice on how to make your CV look more "presentable". Average student with decent grades, slim to none extra-curriculars in med school, some ongoing research but none yet published or even submitted, didn't really do nothing special like win the national spelling bee or something. I am having a hard time on my CV. I am debating what sections to put in. Do people include their board scores? GPA? And if so, are these a must have? How long should a Cv be - one page or two pages? Hobbies - are these made up or do people actually put what they like? Because, in all honesty my biggest hobby is watching sports (football!). This CV is going to be sent to all the places that I will be applying for away rotations at, not for the match. Someone please share some insights!!

Members don't see this ad.

I don't understand the whole one page criterion. A crappy 1 page CV is not going to make a better impression than a nice 2 page one. Having said that, unless you have a list a page long of publications or something, don't go over 2. And if you only have one page worth of stuff, don't try to stretch it.

I didn't include GPAs. That's what transcripts are for. I did include every last scholarship I ever received, even if I got it in high school for going to college. I also included all my extracurriculars from undergrad that were applicable. This includes anything science related, or community service related.

There are many different ways to do it. I don't have any research, so I tried to focus on applicable experiences that filled that gap. Mine had the following format:

Name
Contact Info

Education (Med school and undergrad with major)

Honors (Mainly undergrad scholarships)

Extracurricular Activities (Med school and undergrad)

Related Work/Volunteer Experience (Hospital experience)

Other Work Experience (Teaching, Science, related)

Community Service (from beginning of undergrad)

Just see what you have, and organize it so it looks good. Different solution for each person

Thanks for the tip. Dang I can't rememba what scholarship I got in undergrad. Extracurricular activities - are these like club activities i.e. AMSA, pottery club, orthopedic club - I did play football in high school ( is that too early) - I also rememba some presidential award in 8th grade. How can I include research that hasn't been published? Should I include other away rotations that I would have done by the time I apply for this one?

I do remember reading somewhere (maybe isersons or FA for match) to stay away from high school types of stuff.
Do you have any of your old application materials from when you applied to med school? That's what I used to jog my memory. I found things I had totally forgotten about on old secondaries and things like that.
I too made sure to put any award I ever got, but from college only. And I put clubs and things I was involved in, even in the slightest in med school and in college (like Peds interest group in med school)
Good luck!

Only list if it has been formally submitted
or abstracts, or posters, etc

Do not include rotations away - that is for Dean's letter.

If you are short, you can put in a brief section on current research:
but limit it to 1 or 2 sentences, and make sure the PI is one of your LOR.
Thatway, the LOR will describe your research.

But I do not suggest doing this unless you are submitting the results to present or publish.

GuP said:
Thanks for the tip. Dang I can't rememba what scholarship I got in undergrad. Extracurricular activities - are these like club activities i.e. AMSA, pottery club, orthopedic club - I did play football in high school ( is that too early) - I also rememba some presidential award in 8th grade. How can I include research that hasn't been published? Should I include other away rotations that I would have done by the time I apply for this one?

GuP said:

Stay away from High school stuff unless it applies to college. Like college scholarships from high school.

If you haven't published anything, put it in as "Laboratory Experience" or something.

Hmm I C. Still, I look at my CV now and it is very unimpressive. It just looks like the one I applied to get into med school, with just a couple of more additions!

If there's not a lot on your CV there's not a lot you can do about it now. That's the bad news. The good news is a lot of people are like you, especially those who went straight from undergrad to med school.

I think it looks kind of pathetic when people try to "beef up" their CVs with fluff that is obviously fluff. Imagine how many CVs the PDs see each season. Don't you think they can spot filler a mile away?

Just be honest, be complete, and remember that it is only one part of the equation.

sophiejane said:
Just be honest, be complete, and remember that it is only one part of the equation.

Amen to that.

Does anyone have like a sample CV that I can peek at?

I think if you collected a CV from one of us in Residency, it may create more stress or concern over a lack of items

I would suggest talking with students at your same level, and asking them. Also, a forum like this may not be the most appropriate place - many choose to remain anonymous.
Try your friends, or even ask those writing your LOR - that's what I did years ago.
If you are still having difficulty - then send me a PM.
Good Luck
GuP said:
Does anyone have like a sample CV that I can peek at?

Can you include that you attended a conference or a special event in that field you are interested in?

Don't ever put down "Honors" in a rotation such as medicine or surgery in the Awards section. This is already in your transcript (and Dean's Letter), plus it looks like you intentionally added fluff to try to impress people.

p53 said:
Don't ever put down "Honors" in a rotation such as medicine or surgery in the Awards section. This is already in your transcript (and Dean's Letter), plus it looks like you intentionally added fluff to try to impress people.

Agreed. Any other tips?

What about work that wasn't medicine related? Like I worked in the real estate business before med school. How about winning a bench press/power lifting competition should I put that in my CV? And how about step scores I've seen some with and some w/o? Thanks in advance for answering my dumb questions, this application stuff is :scared:

Long Dong said:
What about work that wasn't medicine related? Like I worked in the real estate business before med school. How about winning a bench press/power lifting competition should I put that in my CV? And how about step scores I've seen some with and some w/o? Thanks in advance for answering my dumb questions, this application stuff is :scared:

I doubt any of this is CV material (except maybe the real estate business because it shows drive, initiative, and extracurricular activity). In your hobbies, list that you are a power lifter.

Are you going to show your Myspace photo of you flexing? :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

a

Last edited:
Long Dong said:

off topic, how much can u bench? u musts have too much free time to be at gym...

so undergrad achivements/activities is fair game for cv? I did tons o activites in undergrad, and none in med school.

Include key undergrad awards - the real estate is key, since it was employment, and power lifting is very important due to the award .

Like p diddy said - these things make you stand above someone that just has grades, and publications-
Now intramural football doesn't need to be on unless you won the championship.

Long Dong said:

Jocomama said:

I totally disagree. If you played, put it on there. It's nice to see that an applicant is human and accepted humility in the face of defeat.

I was wondering if other people included their step scores on their CV. I've heard differing opinions on this. Some say to include it if you feel you did well, while others say it is tacky and redundant (as they'll obviously take note of your score when it's downloaded anyway).

As far as listing the clerkships you received honors in, I've heard similar arguments for including/excluding this info in your CV. In my case, my school only lists pass/fail on the official transcript regardless of whether or not you honored a given rotation. It's a little silly, and supposedly it's done in the spirit of being at a med school that does not emphasize competition. It is, however, included in the Dean's letter.

Because eras is out before the Dean's letter, I feel that including my honors in eras is the only way to let programs know how I did before November and to clarify that I didn't just get all passes (as my official transcript will state).

Are others including these details? What feedback have you received regarding this?

Jocomama said:
Include key undergrad awards - the real estate is key, since it was employment, and power lifting is very important due to the award .

Like p diddy said - these things make you stand above someone that just has grades, and publications-

Well we did win! I also letterd in football in high school. Appropriate?

Also, what is the consensus on putting conferences or meeting you attended? For example, I atteneded XYZ seminar given by Dr. God. Can I add that in somewhere? What about like AMA or AMSA meetings? If you can, then I might just start going now to some to add up things to put.

Have you tried actual beef?
onion_news2575.article.jpg
ef[/IMG]

This is a photo of beefing up the border.

2007er said:
off topic, how much can u bench? u musts have too much free time to be at gym...
It was a long time ago in undergrad and I hit 315 pounds in the under 150 pound weight class. I wish I had too much free time, I work out 6 days a week, ~1-1.5 hours when I start to get sleepy from studying, so after working out I'm re-energized to study some more.

No opinions on whether you can put down meetings/conferences you atteneded? FOr example, AMSA has the Legislative Affairs Leadership Institute in DC. I am thinking of going. Can I include that somewhere?

Actually.... I have a more important question.

People are asking about putting step 1 or 2 or both or none...

See that sounds like they are indeed going to hand their CVs to people... my question is... do you really think they will ask for a CV?

I have been interviewed 4 times before for residency... never once was I asked for a CV...(once they asked me for a copy of my step 2 score because it came in a few days before the interview.)

I think if they want a CV, they will just print out the ERAS one.

Faebinder said:
Actually.... I have a more important question.

People are asking about putting step 1 or 2 or both or none...

See that sounds like they are indeed going to hand their CVs to people... my question is... do you really think they will ask for a CV?

I have been interviewed 4 times before for residency... never once was I asked for a CV...(once they asked me for a copy of my step 2 score because it came in a few days before the interview.)

I think if they want a CV, they will just print out the ERAS one.

Well you are specifically talking about CV on the interview trail. I am just talking about a generic CV and what it should/shouldn't contain. Many programs require that you send a CV if you want to do an away rotation or a research project or various other activities at their school. It's good to have a Cv handy and ready to go.

GuP said:
No opinions on whether you can put down meetings/conferences you atteneded? FOr example, AMSA has the Legislative Affairs Leadership Institute in DC. I am thinking of going. Can I include that somewhere?

The answer is yes, if you go to the LALI, you should definitely include that in your CV under "Conferences Attended".

I have two sections in my CV for this:
"Presentations at National Meetings" and "Conferences Attended". I have presented at a number of national conferences (mostly med student ones) and the mentor at our program here who is quite respected and has a lot of experience with this says to include as much in your CV as possible, as long as it's not long-winded, irrelevant, or a lie...

Unless you can't help it, your CV does NOT have to be limited to one page. You want to highlight all the interesting things about you. Personally I think the LALI would be a totally awesome experience that will teach you important things about health policy. Many professional organizations for the various specialties organize similar events for physicians regarding relevant health policy matters. People care a lot about this stuff - they will respect you if they see that you do too.

CV one page? heh. No way...

The professor I work under has a CV of 35 pages (197 publications and I dont know how many presentation/abstracts/movies/book chapters/articles on top of appointments/work experience and his education history)

The most important tips I got on making CVs (non-ERAS CVs) is that it should not be flashy and no misspelling or the CV is dead.

Do you put personal data like birthdate/ place, marital status, health, etc?

Also, what about your name in the beginning - should it be big and bold?

Now I know this might be a dumb question but since I can't upload my CV to ERAS and it just creates a CV from the info put in the application section where do I put mimor stuff like conferences attended, minor community service activities that were not related to any specific organization??

And another problem I have is this: I'm a foreign graduate and I did a couple rotations in the States BUT they are not included in my transcript. The reason for this (as explained by my dean's office) is that I did those after meeting all the requirements for graduation therefore they cannot include it in my transcript. It is ridiculous and I tried to argue with them but they said they can't do anything about it. So where do I put those away rotations in my application/CV with ERAS??

My advisor suggested I add birthdate, place of birth, hometown, hobbies, and language fluency. I'm not really sure why people care about this stuff, but I guess I'm gonna add it....

As for how to do the titles and stuff - just use one of the MS Word templates for CVs/resumes. This is a very basic question so now I'm worried that you need some serious help with formatting - even better than using a Word template would be to ask a friend who has a nice CV to send it to you, then copy that format. Don't make up your own format, and have your draft proofread by several people including a program director if possible. I read resumes for a program that I'm an administrator for, and you can really tell when people make a CV/resume who don't know what they're doing. People will make ones that are unbelievably lame-looking and it really gives a bad first impression.

allylz said:
My advisor suggested I add birthdate, place of birth, hometown, hobbies, and language fluency. I'm not really sure why people care about this stuff, but I guess I'm gonna add it....

As for how to do the titles and stuff - just use one of the MS Word templates for CVs/resumes. This is a very basic question so now I'm worried that you need some serious help with formatting - even better than using a Word template would be to ask a friend who has a nice CV to send it to you, then copy that format. Don't make up your own format, and have your draft proofread by several people including a program director if possible. I read resumes for a program that I'm an administrator for, and you can really tell when people make a CV/resume who don't know what they're doing. People will make ones that are unbelievably lame-looking and it really gives a bad first impression.

Thanks for the heads up. I guess I am being really anal about the whole process. I was debating whether to put the personal info. I have seen some that have it and some that dont. I just wanted to get some more opinions on it.

If you got some time, it would be great if you can read it after I am done. ;)

on the ERAS CV, it is printed in the order that you add the material. does it matter in which order you place your experience? i.e. should i put all my work experience first, and then volunteer and then research? or should i put the more impressive (like i even have any!) stuff first, like my one little piece of research?

:sleep: :sleep: :sleep:

one more question...
jobs in undergrad where i did internships (i.e. during the summer internships at my senator's office) or internships at a investmant bank...does that go under work experience or volunteer? the reason i ask b/c it's not paid...sorry for being extra anal tonight.

Now I know this might be a dumb question but since I can't upload my CV to ERAS and it just creates a CV from the info put in the application section where do I put mimor stuff like conferences attended, minor community service activities that were not related to any specific organization??

And another problem I have is this: I'm a foreign graduate and I did a couple rotations in the States BUT they are not included in my transcript. The reason for this (as explained by my dean's office) is that I did those after meeting all the requirements for graduation therefore they cannot include it in my transcript. It is ridiculous and I tried to argue with them but they said they can't do anything about it. So where do I put those away rotations in my application/CV with ERAS??

Anyone? plz...

I agree...I also need help to know where we put that info about which organizations we belong too, certifications/licenses, conference attended, honors, etc...someone help us out!

As far as I know.. the order which you input the experience into ERAS wont matter as long as you put the dates... I think ERAS rearranges according to dates.

How much does all this matter? Who knows other than the person saying Yes or No.

foodcoma said:
I agree...I also need help to know where we put that info about which organizations we belong too, certifications/licenses, conference attended, honors, etc...someone help us out!

Make it chronological and follow it throughout the CV.

I put the oldest first and then followed it all the down to present.

It was a long time ago in undergrad and I hit 315 pounds in the under 150 pound weight class. I wish I had too much free time, I work out 6 days a week, ~1-1.5 hours when I start to get sleepy from studying, so after working out I'm re-energized to study some more.

Christ dude- that's pretty ****ing good.

Are you managing to maintain the workouts now?

How important is keeping in shape for you? Will this affect your career choice?
Can you even keep up such a level of fitness doing something like surgery?

Christ dude- that's pretty ****ing good.

Are you managing to maintain the workouts now?

How important is keeping in shape for you? Will this affect your career choice?
Can you even keep up such a level of fitness doing something like surgery?

Now this thread has really become about beefing up.

Yeah I'm maintaining my workouts now cause I was on a research elective and now on peds.

Keeping in shape is pretty important to me, only because I feel as soon to be physcians we should lead by example. Also because in high school I was teased about being to skinny, they used to call me lolly pop, cuz I had a big head and toothpick body.

As for career choice I don't think it should affect it much. In most things in life you make the time for what you feel is important, and if going to the gym is one of them you find a way. When I was on surgery and then ob/gyn I cut my workouts down to 3 times a week. Mainly because I needed to study more with what little free time I had. But I was on a team with a surgery resident who still ran daily at 4 a.m. before rounds, and still was up all night doing surgery during Q3 on the trauma service. On top of that this guy knew his shiznats like the back of his hand. I don't know how he did it, I'd have mutliple brain farts if I did that.

Myspace

As for career choice I don't think it should affect it much. In most things in life you make the time for what you feel is important, and if going to the gym is one of them you find a way.

Thanks for sharing your experience. I just find it hard to find time to eat... sleep isn't as big of an issue.. though I have been close to nodding off while holding retractors on several occaisions.. :oops:

I don't have time to do any sparring any more and it's just too risky getting hurt.

The sad thing is trying to keep up a social life on top of working out and studying.. it's pretty much taken a backseat for me right now.