beefing up the transcript

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rwk66

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all, I'm a "non-traditional" med school applicant. I have been advised that, since I did not major in a natural science(information science) as an undergrad, it may be wise to take some upper level sciences courses to show that I can ride with the big dogs. Unfortunately I work full time and my school offers a very limited evening schedule. The one higher level(well, not all that high, but highER) class offered this summer in the evening is analytical chemistry. From the description it sounds great - I really liked GenChem/Acid Base/the math in genchem.

Do you recommend taking this course? Should I also take the lab component? Any information/opinions is/are welcomed! Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

It's not completely necessary, assuming that your GPA is good to begin with. If you had a 3.7+ with your undergrad major, then it's really your call about whether you have the time and motivation to do it. I'm assuming that you've taken the general pre-med courses (bio, chem, phys, ochem, calc) and your science GPA is good as well, and you're talking about just taking the senior level "advanced genetic analysis of newtonian hyperbolic space curves" courses. Go for it if you're up for it, but don't bust your butt unnecessarily if it'll be inconvenient and you don't need to makeup for any defecits in your application.

As for analytical chemistry, all the upper level chem courses are much worse than the gen chem intro would lead you to believe. It's call the bait and switch ;) If you're going to do it though, go for the lab.

Thanks for the info...I am making up for a lackluster undergrad performance, and have pretty much finished off the prereqs...I was hoping to do so this summer but due to my school's stripped down evening schedule, it will have to wait for fall. Thanks again your help.

how non-trad are you?

when did you complete your science reqs? if you did well in your basic sciences i dont believe that it is necessary to take anachem.

but anytime you feel like you can do well in a class and you like the class as well...well thats an unbeatable combination.