been lurking, seeking advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wanttoPH

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
edit

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You GRE is a slight concern. Bring those up.

Your GPA is fine.

Postbac classes aren't a huge deal since your GPA isn't a big concern anyway.

MHA might be hit or miss since your undergraduate education leads much more into a epi or ehs program, rather than a hpm or MHA program, but you should still apply to a lot of schools because you never know.

You're not an ideal MHA or HPM MPH applicant, but most SPHs aren't the most selective, so you have that going for you.

Members don't see this ad :)
I know for a fact you would be fine applying at USF, especially if you could bring up your quant score a little. You're GPA is fine, but given your background, you would need to write a good statement. Overall, it's not a very hard school to get into.

What according to you guys, is a good GRE score for MPH [conc in epi] for schools? I do know the more the better..but is there a cut off for MPH progs as well?

[eg. for MS in computer engineering, one can get into good schools w/ a GRE score of 1100 + ....]

hi stories, i was hoping to get some advice from you and here you are!

yeah, im aware that my ugrad coursework isnt relevant to a MHA's curriculum. I was hoping that taking business courses now will help me out, I'm currently doing accounting and economics and it is much easier than any of the science courses I have taken. I'm also taking business courses because I thought that a recommendation from a business professor would be more relevant to the MHA than a science course would be

Thank you very much for your response.

Not a problem. I relish the opportunity to give advice on pursuing a career in public health. I've gone through the hell of applying twice to schools, so I'm pretty well acquainted with it. I just wish I knew about forums like this one when I was applying (either time!).

What according to you guys, is a good GRE score for MPH [conc in epi] for schools? I do know the more the better..but is there a cut off for MPH progs as well?

[eg. for MS in computer engineering, one can get into good schools w/ a GRE score of 1100 + ....]

If you're going for epi, you should score significantly higher on the quantitative section (at least 700+). Verbal isn't crucial, but you'd like to see scores at least in the 500+ range. The analytical writing section is kind of hit or miss and isn't really odd since it's a subjective grade, but don't blow it off. Get at least a 4.5+. Those scores will land you right in the 60-70%-ish percentile for all areas. Ideally, you'd like to hit somewhere in 75-80% or higher percentile in all sections.

A 1100 score is pretty low, considering almost every CS person SHOULD score well into the 760-800 range on quantitative. A 400-ish verbal, while not a deal breaker, probably is something of a concern because the public health discipline is writing intensive. Do the right thing and get at least a 500 in the verbal.

Last edited:
MEng programs usually have cutoffs of 1100/1200 and require 1300+ to be competitive

The better schools (HYMPS) have averages closer to the 1400 and 1500s for admits

I understand the letter of intent is the best way to get into graduate school. Also, you should visit the school you want to go to and set up a meeting with a teacher, graduate coordinator, or the chair of the department. Some programs require that you have a set advisor, and others assign one to you, but it helps to get a feel for who will be reading your application materials.

I understand the letter of intent is the best way to get into graduate school. Also, you should visit the school you want to go to and set up a meeting with a teacher, graduate coordinator, or the chair of the department. Some programs require that you have a set advisor, and others assign one to you, but it helps to get a feel for who will be reading your application materials.

The personal statement/statement of purpose/letter of intent is crucial to a research-based grad program (MA/MS or PhD). A little less so for a professional program (like the MPH). But it's important to have a cogent and applicable personal statement to public health. However, it won't compensate for poor grades, poor GRE, or poor experience.

While a meeting with admissions and department coordinators help, it's not critical to acceptance.