before and after

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by thang1bom, Mar 21, 2002.

1. thang1bom

thang1bom New Member

Please help. I am 26 just started my first Spr quarter as a transfer junior at UCLA. I wont be able to take the Apr. MCAT. So next year seems like the best time. Besides, I have been out of school for more than a year. Do med. schools look at that lapse negatively? How about the age factor? Assuming that GPA&MCAT will be 3.8&>30 at grad.
    Thanks in advance for your answer.

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. locitamd

locitamd Senior Member

thang1bom, providing you can account for your time off and convince schools that you grew from your experiences, then it oughtn't count as a detriment. As for your age, there are several of us on this board than can attest to med schools looking favourably on age and maturity.

Best of luck and stay the course.

4. souljah1

souljah1 Attending

I just graduated from Berkeley last year when I was 27. I was a transfer student as well (CCSF). I had a few years post-high school where I traveled around, worked, hung out, etc...As long as you have something intelligent to say about your 'time off' you will be fine. I have found that people 'our age' interviewing very often have a slight advantage b/c most likley we have gained considerable experiences outside the classroom. I wouldn't worry about it at all. Your predicted gpa and mcat are great..I've noticed that some schools like the 'nontraditional' student better than others. ucsf seems to love them. i don't know what you did in your time off but if it was something unique it will greatly work to your advantage. best of luck to you and don't worry. you don't want your application to look like everyone elses. :D

5. racergirl

racergirl Senior Member

MedSchools won't care about your year off at all. They might ask what you were up to at that time, but it's certainly not a black mark. Further, taking the MCAT next year will give you more of a chance to establish yourself at your new school. Good plan. Finally, your age is fine! Don't waste another milisecond worrying about your time off or your age. Good luck, and welcome to SDN!

6. thang1bom

thang1bom New Member

Thank you for the input from all you nice people. All Calif. and UC med. schools are my goal. I am planning on taking physio. and anatomy for the additional knowledge. I think that it will be beneficial for my MCAT. I greatly appreciate any thought on that.
    Besides, I should just stop thinking of my fellow younger students as kids. Kinda old, you know