Before Khan Academy, how did the AAMC recommend you study for the MCAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheBiologist

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
i guess kind of a trivial question at this point but i was just curious, before the Khan and AAMC paired and created their complete MCAT course, what did they recommend you use to study? Did everyone just use PR/Kaplan stuff or did the AAMC provide study materials

Members don't see this ad.

Money and raw IQ were the recommendations

Back in the day, we took the recommended coursework and then spent a few weeks or so reviewing with an MCAT prep book that could be purchased at any bookstore. There was more emphasis on remembering factoids in the Bio and Chem/Physics sections and less emphasis on critical thinking.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Got some bootleg pdfs of the official practice tests and a Berkeley review set from the library. That was all you needed.

i guess kind of a trivial question at this point but i was just curious, before the Khan and AAMC paired and created their complete MCAT course, what did they recommend you use to study? Did everyone just use PR/Kaplan stuff or did the AAMC provide study materials

Well, after taking all the prerequisite courses (biology, physics, general chemistry, organic chemistry) you drove to the nearest mall and bought whatever struck your fancy from the shelves of Waldenbooks.

Reactions: 3 users
Well, after taking all the prerequisite courses (biology, physics, general chemistry, organic chemistry) you drove to the nearest mall and bought whatever struck your fancy from the shelves of Waldenbooks.

Ah, I remember Waldenbooks. :) They are the business I miss most.

Our undergrad premed club held a weekly seance. We all scored 40-45.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users