Before Taking DAT...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nil911

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys, I am taking DAT exam in a week (June 16th) as I do final prepration for my exam I wonder if there were any tips which you guys might think is better if you knew before exam.
Plus I know the exam is computerised (like periodic table is on comp) n all, however what materials do you get in term of scrap paper or any other papers might you get as you walk in to the examination room. And what are you allowed to take in to the room, n what should i avoid taking with me.

Please help, although some of the answer might have been answered in other topics, Please post again just to give me fresh reminder.

Thankyou once again for taking time to help.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey Guys, I am taking DAT exam in a week (June 16th) as I do final prepration for my exam I wonder if there were any tips which you guys might think is better if you knew before exam.
Plus I know the exam is computerised (like periodic table is on comp) n all, however what materials do you get in term of scrap paper or any other papers might you get as you walk in to the examination room. And what are you allowed to take in to the room, n what should i avoid taking with me.

Please help, although some of the answer might have been answered in other topics, Please post again just to give me fresh reminder.

You will most likely get a dry erase sheet and 2 markers with a dry erase board eraser. You will also be offered earmuffs, which I recommend you take. I would dress in layers, just in case the room is too cold, you can take some off at the break if it is too hot. But don't take off stuff while in the exam, otherwise they may think you are trying to cheat. Other than that, bring two forms of ID with you and be confident in your abilities, good luck.

You'll get two dry-erase boards, one eraser, ear-plugs, and 4 markers (Ask for more if you feel you're gonna need more). NOTHING ELSE will be allowed inside. You're assigned a locker, where you'll leave everything else (including: baseball caps, bottles of water, notes, watch, ear-plugs, snacks, pills, cell phone, etc.)
Personally, a week before my exam, I reviewed every single question in destroyer just to make sure I knew everything cold. Then I reviewed the questions that I missed during my KAPLAN exams and quizzes. Finally, I went over some of the formulas, making sure I still remembered them. After all this, I spent 1-2 days freaking out, and then I gave up and relaxed for the rest of the week.
Trust me, being able to relax during these final days is more important than memorizing a formula or two.

Good Luck:thumbup:

nze82 has it spot on for what you can/can't bring in there. I rarely get cold, but I wore long sleeves just in case and ended up being very comfortable (probably because the AC was cranked...95 degrees this past Sunday in Dallas). Dress in what you feel good in. When you look good, you play good. When you play good, you get paid good! I brought a protein shake, a Monster, and some cut up strawberries and cantaloupe to snack on during the 15 minute break. Don't get hungry during your test.

I took a week off of work to cram although I had been studying for several months. I wasn't necessarily learning new information, I was just reinforcing what I had already gone over to make sure I really had it down. I took a practice test in the morning, went over the answers to see why I missed what I did, and then spent the afternoons at the pool. The day before, I just went over a few practice questions, and then spent the rest of the day to just have fun to take my mind off of the test.

The morning of, I woke up and ran a couple of miles (I usually run at night, not in the morning), and it really energized me for the test. I think it made a big difference because I was VERY alert (probably due to the caffeination as well).

On your way there, listen to some upbeat, positive music. When you get there, be friendly to EVERYONE because it will put you in a good mood.

Basically, do whatever you can to make yourself feel like you're taking the test at home. It seemed to work for me.

Good luck! I'm sure you'll do great.