Before you apply

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dontwakeme

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
When I apply, I will have completed the pre-reqs (physics, chem, bio, orgo) and biochem and microbiology, but there are a few other courses some schools recommend that I will not have taken when I apply (but will take my senior year). How is this viewed by dental schools? Should I try to complete all recommended courses before I apply (I can theoretically do so, although it would be difficult)?

Members don't see this ad.

you can apply and then take the courses cuz on the application there will be room to put down the courses in progress/planned courses, so as long as you have them. However, it is better to take them before you apply cuz it makes ur application strong cuz they can see how well you have handled those courses right away and will give you more credibility.

It all depends. Read my other posts for more info on this.

Members don't see this ad :)
No, you don't have to take all recommended or prereq courses b/f applying. If that were true than what would bio majors be doing their senior year? Take what you can fit in. If you can squeeze in anything (anatomy for example), the adcoms will have more to judge you by, so yes it's an advantage. But they're not going to trash a good application b/c you haven't finished some courses.

No, you don't have to take all recommended or prereq courses b/f applying. If that were true than what would bio majors be doing their senior year? Take what you can fit in. If you can squeeze in anything (anatomy for example), the adcoms will have more to judge you by, so yes it's an advantage. But they're not going to trash a good application b/c you haven't finished some courses.

This is a related question.

I will only have the pre-reqs (Bio, Chem, Org, Phy) and Genetics completed in Spring 09 before I apply for the 2010 cycle. I am planning on taking courses upper level courses in the Summer of 09. Will that make any difference at all in my app? Will the grades be updated on AADSAS in time for it to make a difference on my app?

This is a related question.

I will only have the pre-reqs (Bio, Chem, Org, Phy) and Genetics completed in Spring 09 before I apply for the 2010 cycle. I am planning on taking courses upper level courses in the Summer of 09. Will that make any difference at all in my app? Will the grades be updated on AADSAS in time for it to make a difference on my app?
Same situation. Courses won't be updated in time for fall interviews either. Just don't get crazy and overload the AADSAS courses planned list with a bunch of classes you're not 100% sure you'll take. Schools may accept you with that information in mind, and can revoke your acceptance if you drop all those juicy bio classes.

So put only the required and a few of the recommended courses I plan to take.

So put only the required and a few of the recommended courses I plan to take.
Exactly. With serious emphasis on plan. Only the ones you really plan to take.