Beginning in Research

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hopefool

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I want to get involved in research opportunities in the NYC area pertaining more closely to actual medical work. I am currently involved in a research study on physical therapy and home health care trying to reduce the risk of falls for those prone to them. I would very much like to get experience in a lab setting and do some hands on work, ie gathering biological specimens and conducting analyses etc. but am having trouble knowing how to get started.

I have a BS in Human Development from Cornell (with a somewhat sub-par gpa). Where and how should I go about applying to programs and opportunities for the spring time?

Thanks very much

Members don't see this ad.

Hi,

I want to get involved in research opportunities in the NYC area pertaining more closely to actual medical work. I am currently involved in a research study on physical therapy and home health care trying to reduce the risk of falls for those prone to them. I would very much like to get experience in a lab setting and do some hands on work, ie gathering biological specimens and conducting analyses etc. but am having trouble knowing how to get started.

I have a BS in Human Development from Cornell (with a somewhat sub-par gpa). Where and how should I go about applying to programs and opportunities for the spring time?

Thanks very much

Are there any websites that list opportunities or do universities in the NYC area have listings on their sites?

Thanks again

There are a ton of medical schools in new york city. Each one of them is doing research in almost every area of basic science (which is what you are looking for) and they all need people to help. It will probably take a little work but I would look around at Cornell Medical School, Albert Einstein Medical School, New York Medical College, New York University, Mount Sinai or Columbia. Think about who you know and if there are any connections you could use to get a foot in the door. It helps a ton. If not, make a list of professors that are doing research that interests you and drop them an email. It might help if you tell them you can volunteer for a few weeks but then you would like to start getting paid. Also be specific about what about their lab interests you. It takes a lot of follow up too. If they dont email you back then go to their lab or call them...Be persistent.

Hi,

Thanks very much
Have you considered mentioning this to your advisor? What it sounds like is that you're looking for a change of focus more than anything. Maybe you just need to talk to your PI and get them to give your current project a more clinical spin.