Beginning PGY-1 PSYCH

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NAVYdoc07

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just curious if any one could recommend any books or blackberry programs (or any resource) that will be useful for psych residency...

I begin in the fall

Members don't see this ad.

Just curious if any one could recommend any books or blackberry programs (or any resource) that will be useful for psych residency...

I begin in the fall

i second this (i've browsed through the useful psych books stickied thread and there are some great recommendations, but none that i saw that specify that they're especially good for residents just starting)

Kaplan and Sadock's "Pocket handbook of clinical psychiatry" is good one, and will cover all the basics that you need know. You can then build your library upon that.

Members don't see this ad :)
One resident from Sedars recomended Bluprints and book that was mentioned above.

Psychiatry On Call-best book IMHO.

I'd also study up on taking down acutely agitated patients with antipsychotics, and suicide. Those are the 2 biggest issues with an element of danger in the field that will be thrust upon a PGY the most quickly IMHO.

Psychiatry On Call-best book IMHO.

I'd also study up on taking down acutely agitated patients with antipsychotics, and suicide. Those are the 2 biggest issues with an element of danger in the field that will be thrust upon a PGY the most quickly IMHO.

On that topic, I'll recommend once again that you read Shawn Christopher Shea's Practical Art of Suicide Assessment .

And also his Psychiatric Interviewing book. It depends if you're wanting skills information (in which case books by Shea are great) or if you want prescribe this when patient is elading a riot (in which case the Oncall type books are great) or if you jsut want to have soemthing to look stuff up that you can carry round (I recommend the Oxford pocket handbook of psychaitry) or if you want to look like you know lots (in which case memorise the two volume Kaplan and Saddock.)
Hope that helps.

The DSM-IV on a PDA is pretty sweet action. Coupled with a good pharm resource (LEXI-COMP/EPOCRATES) it promises lots of...

"I am so smart! I am so smart! S-M-R-T, I mean S-M-A-R-T" -Homer Simpson

On that topic, I'll recommend once again that you read Shawn Christopher Shea's Practical Art of Suicide Assessment .

That book is amazing. I read it after your recommendation on the psych books sticky, and ended up buying a copy for my personal library. Simply the best on the topic (at least from what I have read).

1) Pocket DSM
2)Psychotropic Drug Handbook by Paul Perry
3) Principles and Practice of Psychopharmacotherapy by Janicak
4) Bipolar Depression by Mallakh and Ghaemi
5) Of course Kaplan and Saddock

You might not need number 3 and 4 until you get a little more time under your belt.

And does anyone have a good med cheat sheet made up they would be willing to share? With brand/generic, doses, etc?