Behavioral Analyst

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Blush

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently pursuing a MAT in Special Education and wanted to add on a BCBA certification and work solely as a Behavioral Analyst. I will enroll in classes soon, but I don't know much about the career field just yet and it is hardly discussed anywhere. Is anyone a practicing BCBA or does anyone have any knowledge of the field? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I have some knowledge. I've been working as a behavior therapist. There's pros and cons to this job as any. I was let go of my last position because the family was so particular about what kind of therapist they wanted. Now I may start on a new one and the child is an aggressive biter. I really want to look for a new career cuz this blows. However there is another behavior therapist working at the same company who loves her job. She started out as a preschool teacher for special needs and became passionate about helping autistic children. She does great as a therapist because she actually has INTEREST in what she's doing. I had a degree in psychology and wanted to do something with it which is why I experimented with this work.

We work on
self care (toileting, hand washing, putting shoes)
playing with toys appropriately (not throwing things, lining things up)
molding and shaping behaviors so that they're more appropriate

you set goals and work on them every week inside the familys house.
You can move up to become a supervisor and help parents meet goals with their children.

My best advice to you is SHADOW a behavior therapist before getting into this work. You really need to make sure you like this career before jumping into it--I recommend you don't take this last suggestion with a grain of salt.

I will not, I know every career field has its ups and downs. I want to gather as much information as possible. I did want to know how the job market is, I know location is a huge factor but I have seen areas that beg for BCBA individuals and other areas that will require similar skills and the same title but don't request those credentials. Because I will be (hopefully) attending another graduate program while I work as Behavioral Analyst I want to make sure that the job market is there, the salary is there and I know the location in which the need is greater so I can focus on schools in that area. I would love to teach as this is what my degree program is focused on at this current moment, but I felt like there was more opportunity and flexibility with being a Behavioral Analyst. It would allow me to work and go to school while not being tied down to the extra time and work teachers must put into their day to carry out events and plan lessons, etc.

Now I may start on a new one and the child is an aggressive biter...
self care (toileting, hand washing, putting shoes)

I thought about this kind of work while in transition between programs. Thanks for the reality check (see bold words above).