Behind the numbers....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Is it important to do well outside of academics as well as in academics?

• Yes, both will help in DO application process

Votes: 34 94.4%
  • No, only academics will get you in

Votes: 2 5.6%

• Total voters

DoctorDoogie4

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
:) :confused:

Hey everyone! I hope everyone is having a great summer. I am, probably like everyone else, getting worried about applying to osteopathic medical school. I am applying with a 3.40 GPA and I don't know if that is good enough considering I scored a 29 on the MCATs. I have heard stories where people have gotten in less with what I consider. Therefore, there is truth to the statement, "Everyone has different cases that deserve special attention." I have shadowed a great orthopedic D.O. who is highly respected at the DO school I wish to be admitted to. Furthermore, I have volunteered at a local children's hospital as well as volunteer as a coach to high schools that couldn't afford coaches. There is so much behind my academic record that I feel have affected me but probably won't be seen. Does anyone have advice? Thanks very much.

Members don't see this ad.

I can't say for certain what your chances are. No one REALLY knows that answer except the admission's committees. And their idea of an acceptable applicant changes every year depending on the applicant pool.
Here is what I can tell you though... Don't give up. If you don't get any acceptances this year... Keep reapplying until you do. Retake that MCAT and shoot for a 24+. The higher the better. Keep taking good science courses, and keep working hard. Show your determination and your interest in osteopathic medical school.

I was accepted to 2 schools... One from the waitlist... And I had a 3.17 undergrad and a 3.3 graduate GPA with a 27 MCAT. Those aren't great numbers, and it took me 3 years, but I am going to my first choice school now. The D.O. schools will look deeper than your numbers. This is a fact. Otherwise, why would they accept me right? I'm not an URM. I don't have special connections with any schools. I don't even have any doctors in my family. I made it though. You will too, just don't give up if it is your dream.

Wish! Congrats!!!! :clap:

Nanon

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone care to share their stats to which they are applying with or have applied to and been accepted? Thanks a million!!

I am sure you have been told by tons of people that your numbers/scores are not the only thing the admissions committees look at, so I won't go into that. It depends on a lot of things.........volunteer work, athletics in college, extracurriculars, awards/honors, etc etc.

Me personally, I had about 3.3 undergrad GPA, 21 on the MCAT, I decided to go to med school my senior year of my undergrad years, so I had a long road ahead of me. I went to a junior college and attained all my pre-recs. I then went to K-State and got Biochem and Genetics. In the mean time, I worked in a hospital as a nurse's aid and currently a respiratory therapist. I am a certifed EMT, phlebotomist, and a few other things. I volunteered at my college, I was a peer tutor, active in the community. I busted my a** for the last three years and the payoff is awesome!!!

I applied to 13 MD schools and 6 DO schools. I was granted two interviews: waitlisted at one school (DMU) and accepted to one school (UHS). So bottom line is: work your tail off, get as much experience and education that you can and show a true interest in osteopathic medicine. I admit, I was the typical pre-med: I didn't care what school I went to, just as long as I got into medical school. But the more I researched and learned about the osteopathic medicine philosophy, the more I desired to be a DO. I truly think that if I got accepted to an MD school and not a DO, I would have waited till next year.

So there you have it. Anything is possible! Keep your head up, your work ethic 110% and have a superior attitude and you will get there!!

Chris

Thanks for those who responded and good luck with you guys in osteopathic medicine. I feel that osteopathic medicine is a great field and hopefully I will be able to participate in. For now, does anyone have some hints on cracking the MCATs. Thanks...