Being a competitive applicant

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

onesleepygirl

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
What else should I do or what should I enhance to be a competitive applicant if I plan to apply in 2011?

I am currently a Undergraduate Sophomore with a cumulative GPA of 3.66. Currently shadowing a dentist for a quarter already and is doing it for the summer too. I am finishing up my prereq courses and planning to take the DAT in late September. I think I am continuing my shadowing as well for the next school year.

I heard that volunteer work, being an officer in a club, and research helps. I plan to do some volunteer work throughout this summer and during school. I have also tried to run for officer positions in a few clubs, but people running against me have A LOT of experience and are involved in >3 other clubs, which diminishes my chances everytime I run. This other club also said that my interests don't match their's because I don't attend their birthday parties and such.

How do dental schools value each extra curricular activity?

Any advice on what I should do?

Thank you sooo much!!!

Members don't see this ad.

What else should I do or what should I enhance to be a competitive applicant if I plan to apply in 2011?

I am currently a Undergraduate Sophomore with a cumulative GPA of 3.66. Currently shadowing a dentist for a quarter already and is doing it for the summer too. I am finishing up my prereq courses and planning to take the DAT in late September. I think I am continuing my shadowing as well for the next school year.

I heard that volunteer work, being an officer in a club, and research helps. I plan to do some volunteer work throughout this summer and during school. I have also tried to run for officer positions in a few clubs, but people running against me have A LOT of experience and are involved in >3 other clubs, which diminishes my chances everytime I run. This other club also said that my interests don't match their's because I don't attend their birthday parties and such.

How do dental schools value each extra curricular activity?

Any advice on what I should do?

Thank you sooo much!!!

Honestly you seem to be in perfect shape!
You're only a sophmore but you've already got everything set in motion. My only advice would be to study hard for the DAT (check out the DAT forum for everything that you'll need to kill it)! As for officer positions in clubs, just consistently show up for the meetings+show dedication and eventually you'll have enough standing to win a officer position. I bet alot of the ppl who are winning over you right now are upperclassmen (jr,sr). From my experience its kinda natural for the older upperclassmen to hold positions, so eventually you'll get one. As for shadowing, you don't have to get a trillion hours... If I were you, I'd get at least 100 minimum and then go spend time volunteering/clubs/studying.

work on getting good lor's, get a broad range of shadowing of several specialties and GP, study, study, study for that DAT, eat breakfast every morning (with lots of grains and wheat...fruits too), work out...cardio, weights...you know the drill, be nice to your parents and friends (they are your support system), enjoy your outside activities (but not too much ;)), and most importantly....

don't do drugs!

Friends-dont-let-friends-do-drugs.jpg

nah...if it's a weekend then it's cool...

but seriously, if you stay on the track that you are now (and keep up that GPA) you should be fine for a CA dental school (if that's what your into)

best of luck!

(i really need to start being more productive on this forum again...:D)

Members don't see this ad :)
How much will it affect me if I get one C on my transcript? Other grades are A's and B's. Also, this class is ochem.

Any ways to make it up if that happens?

THanks!!

How much will it affect me if I get one C on my transcript? Other grades are A's and B's. Also, this class is ochem.

THanks!!
negatively. try to do well on oc on the DAT (and ochem 2 if you're in ochem 1 right now) to show them that you are capable of doing well at it.

THanks!!

0. Don't post inappropriate stuff on internet...:D

1. Either retake to get an A or write a great score on DAT Ochem (which is easier than retaking). But generally school will look at your academic trend, not just a particular class.
2. Keep good relationship with professors and dentists. Ask for LORs once you are done with them(store your LORs in interfolio). But call then once in a while just in case you need them again.
3. Apply ASAP.
4. Assuming you can get a good DAT (why wait until Sept? it can be done in 1.5 months), you still stand a chance to get in this year, I mean next year
5. keep volunteering and shadowing

6. Don't be shy in clubs. Talk to their director and adviser until they know you well. Your name will pop up at next position change.

Good luck

By the way, ni3 shi4 ya4 yi1 me?

Last edited:
Being a competitive applicant isn't just about the numbers.

Being a competitive applicant isn't just about the numbers.
Numbers are very important, try getting into UCLA with a 2.8 and a 18 or any other school for that matter.

I said numbers aren't everything -- I did not say it is not important. Of course it matters but it isn't ALL about just the numbers.