Being a tech for a hometown doctor

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

luvthemhogs

Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey guys, I was wondering if yall had any advice for me. I'm going to go shadow an optometrist in my hometown later this week and I would like to be a tech for the summer. How could I ask him? Do OD's usually hire pre-opt students to be techs?
 
I'd just ask if he's looking for any help over the summer. Some places are fully functioning with their staff, other places can always use an extra hand.

As for a generalization, it's hard to say. I've worked at 2 OD's offices over the past 6 years, part time (one in Ontario, one in BC). One as independant, one was part of a visual group (IRIS in Canada).

Staff were:

Independant:
--> No lisenced Opticians (Lisenced OD's and Opticians can't practice together), but one was one in England
--> 2 CAO Certified Optometric Assistants
--> 1 High School student
--> 1 Pre-Op student
--> 1 Secretary (not sure qualifications)
--> Me (was a high school student at the time)

Duties varied depending on the person. At that office (where I started), I did mostly secretarial work and pre-testing (RK's, NCT's). Later I also did VF's and worked at the Optical Lab edging lenses.

In BC, the staff included:

--> 1 Optician (Manager)
--> 1 Optometric Assistant
--> 1 BSc (Bio)
--> 1 BSc (Chem)
--> 1 BA (History)
--> 1 BA (Anthro)
--> 1 BA (Russian Studies)
--> 1 High School Diploma
--> 1 High School Student (me)

Duties varied. Personally, I did:

--> Dispensing
--> VF's, RK's, NCT's
--> Edging (Lab in the back)
--> Some secretarial

Being one of the 2 part timers, I did mostly nighgt shifts, and so did whatever was required at the time. I was usually booked for an hour to do VF's, then I'd do any edging that as around, and dispense/sell to anyone who required it. Only thing I didn't do was contacts, and that's because contacts were only done during the day when I wasn't around.

So it really varies, depending on the optometrist and what they require.

CH