Being accepted to multiple schools???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

eleanor_rigby

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
For those of you who applied to multiple schools:

Isn't there a 3 week or so deadline for turning in your deposit after you recieve your letter of acceptance? Or is there a specific date for all of those who were accepted to make their decision for each respective school?

If the former is the case, what happens if you receive an acceptance letter a few months ahead of all the other schools you applied to, but it isn't your school of choice?

Members don't see this ad.

eleanor_rigby said:

Isn't there a 3 week or so deadline for turning in your deposit after you recieve your letter of acceptance? Or is there a specific date for all of those who were accepted to make their decision for each respective school?

If the former is the case, what happens if you receive an acceptance letter a few months ahead of all the other schools you applied to, but it isn't your school of choice?

I received my first acceptance in April and had one week to send in a non-refundable deposit. I contacted the other school at which I interviewed and they said they weren't able to give me an answer for several weeks. From my point of view, that made my course of action clear. I paid the deposit to the first school and forgot about the second one.

I received a wait list notification from the second school about a month later and was accepted two weeks after that. It didn't alter my decision to attend the first school. I had already spent a load of extra money on coursework, travel and application fees for the second school. I wasn't going to throw away any more money on it (ie. the deposit to the first school).

I took that course of action because getting into any school was more important than the name or where the school was located (even though the second school was my first choice). So my advice is to decide which is more important and how much you want to risk turning down one offer in favor of one that may or may not arrive.

eleanor_rigby said:

You basically have to budget a bit of extra money for this situation. Fortunately, my first acceptance school would refund 1/2 of the deposit.

Members don't see this ad :)
I paid the deposit to the first school (200) because I wouldn't hear from my first choice for 2 more months. I won't get it back, but, at the time, having one acceptance meant I had somewhere to go in the fall just in case. The 200 was a whole lot cheaper than waiting another year to go to school (in case I didn't get in to my first choice) which would cost me close to 90,000 in earnings. My mom, who is in real estate, calls this sort of thing the price of doing business.
Good luck :luck: !

RachGator said:
I paid the deposit to the first school (200) because I wouldn't hear from my first choice for 2 more months. I won't get it back, but, at the time, having one acceptance meant I had somewhere to go in the fall just in case. The 200 was a whole lot cheaper than waiting another year to go to school (in case I didn't get in to my first choice) which would cost me close to 90,000 in earnings. My mom, who is in real estate, calls this sort of thing the price of doing business.
Good luck :luck: !

Hey RachGator,
So now that you have been accepted to UT, how did you refuse the other school. I still need to refuse Texas Tech, b'cuz UT is where I want to go, so please tell me, I feel bad refusing TTU, they gave me an admission in 1 mth. But I didnt want to go there, I have already confirmed my admission there, given them a deposit.

Thanks, for the advise in advance.

i was in the same situation as rachgator.... i recieved an early acceptance to creighton so i put down the deposit, because they would give me 1/2 of it back if i declined them by may 1. when i got accepted to oregon state, i only had 10 days to decide so i sent them a deposit also so that i had adequate time to make a decision.... then i sent a letter to osu telling them that i had made my final decision and i would not be going there. all five schools i was accepted to had a different timeline for sending in a deposit, ranging from one week to a month. you really just have to budget in possibly sending a deposit to more than one school unless you get into your first choice off the bat. the deposit for most schools ranges from $200-$500 although some are more (Midwestern-CPG was $750)