Being an athletic training GA while in DPT school??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

betsimons11

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently in the process of getting my BS in Athletic Training and have every intention of applying to PT schools. I was just wondering if anyone has ever tried to work as a GA at a school while working on your DPT? If so, is it doable?

I am only asking this question because some schools offer tuition fees for students who work as grad assistants and some even offer stipends. But would this interfere too much with the PT curriculum?

Any info on this would be appreciated :)

Members don't see this ad.

I have thought about this too, but I have heard that the first year is so much work that it would be in my (and your) best interest to NOT work.

But what I have also heard from ATCs in PT school is that many of them do work (covering games, etc) and they have been able to handle the coursework with little issue. When it comes to being an Athletic Trainer Graduate Assistant in PT school, I would think that would be close to impossible since most GA positions require so much of your time. You would have to be the type who can read something once or twice and get it immediately in order to work near full-time hours and understand all the coursework.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I checked into this a little bit when I was first starting to apply and the PT programs I contacted did not allow you to have an ATC GA position because of the time commitments that both positions would require. Also when I was checking into different GA positions many programs restricted you to only a few different Masters degrees for the same reason (because an athletic training GA position requires so much of your time).

Members don't see this ad :)
I wouldn't want to do it even it were available. I've seen AT GAs work some gnarly hours. Better I think just to go into debt but get the most out of the PT program.

At NAU I spoke with some students who have GA positions within the PT department. The positions are offered to second year PT students through the department, so it's scheduled around your classes, and they do sometimes offer tuition waivers for the positions. I'm sure they're pretty competitive to get. Maybe some other schools offer this type of thing, too. It's not listed on their website, so you need to contact programs directly to find out.

Fairly certain you'd never have time to be a GA and be a DPT student. ATC GA's a required to work maaaaannnnyyyyy hours (100+/week if you're working at a big time school for football, I know). With as many hours as one must spend in class, especially during their first year, there is no way you could be in the ATR as much as you were needed. Plus, schools usually pay their GA's tuition, but I don't think they would shell out the money for DPTs... too expensive!

I would say holding a GA position would be pretty difficult, but you could probably manage to do some PRN work. I know an athletic trainer who held an internship with the college football team and then did some PRN work while she was in PT school. She is just finishing up her PT clinicals now. Also, I work with one who did PRN work for a PT clinic while she was in school and now holds both licenses..

I would say holding a GA position would be pretty difficult, but you could probably manage to do some PRN work. I know an athletic trainer who held an internship with the college football team and then did some PRN work while she was in PT school. She is just finishing up her PT clinicals now. Also, I work with one who did PRN work for a PT clinic while she was in school and now holds both licenses..

I agree with atstudent. PRN work would be your best choice if there are no tuition waivers at your program and you want to have some money coming in during school. I would make sure it doesn't interfere with your studies though.