Being complete mid August late?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

californiamed

Full Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Unfortunately, I had to delay my MCAT and change from June to July because of personal stuff going on. If I submit AMCAS end of June, already pre-write and submit secondaries the DAY of, I'll be complete mid August. I'm freaking out because according to SDN that's late. Thing is, I'm already on my second gap year and I desperately need to get in this cycle. I know I screwed up, but like I said, stuff out of my control happened. I also understand that I need to do good on the MCAT and that I am unable to take it again for this cycle.

Is it too late to be complete mid august? I have a 3.7 culm, though a 3.55 science and good EC's.
 
It's not too late to be complete mid-August... I was complete mid august, LizzyM (~70/also from CA/decent EC's) but I got my first II in december and the rest in Jan-Feb. Whether or not you succeed this upcoming cycle will probably depend on your mcat score/secondaries. Feel free to PM me for more info/help on secondaries.
 
My brother took MCAT in July complete august. Got 6 interviews in Nov through feb, 2 acceptances on the 5 interview attended. It was not optimal, but that was his timing for MCAT studying. Had a LizzyM of 70[/QUOTE]
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I did mid-September and a second round early October; got 4 interviews, 2 acceptances, 1 wait list. :woot:

You're fine, friend. 👍
 
Mid august is still on time from my experience. It is september+ that starts to become late.
 
23 allopathic schools, 5 interviews, 3 acceptances (other 2 I just withdrew post-interview), PM me if you want more info.
 
I'm in the same boat. You just have to make sure you're ready July and rock it. Because if you end up taking it june and getting a low-average score vs taking it july when you're fully prepared and get a better score, you'll be placed high in the packet and have a better chance at interviews. SDN tends to freak people like me and you out.
also great to hear other responses from those that were complete by mid august and got acceptances 🙂

also @Banco, what was your LizzyM, or range?
 
THANK GOD FOR THIS THREAD I'm ****ting myself trying to be ready for the test this saturday but I think if I take it in July I can do much better. I would think a better mcat is more advantageous than getting my app in early but everyone makes it seem otherwise..
 
THANK GOD FOR THIS THREAD I'm ****ting myself trying to be ready for the test this saturday but I think if I take it in July I can do much better. I would think a better mcat is more advantageous than getting my app in early but everyone makes it seem otherwise..
yeah while they may be right (it's always good to be early).. don't beat yourself up. i looked at the allopathic school discussion threads and people who were complete by mid august w/ okay GPA/MCAT, they still got acceptances (some even were complete in october but that's prob really rare lol). i've learned the hard way: don't give into self doubt. i have to remind myself many times of this.
 
Last edited:
I'm in the same boat. You just have to make sure you're ready July and rock it. Because if you end up taking it june and getting a low-average score vs taking it july when you're fully prepared and get a better score, you'll be placed high in the packet and have a better chance at interviews. SDN tends to freak people like me and you out.
also great to hear other responses from those that were complete by mid august and got acceptances 🙂

also @Banco, what was your lizzym, or range?

LizzyM ~71.
 
It'll be a bit late, but it still should be okay. I (and others at my school) were complete late august/early september and were admitted in to solid medical schools. That being said, all of us were otherwise strong applicants. If you are a marginal applicant, it may actually be worth it to wait a year and apply very early in 2016. I understand that waiting a year is tough, but going through the application process, not making it in anywhere, and having to do the whole thing again is even tougher.
 
It's a bit late, but it won't kill your chances. Make sure you actually have the secondaries ready to submit the day of. Don't underestimate the time and effort required to write them. At the same time, don't skimp out on MCAT studying to write them.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I still think a better score + being complete maybe 2 weeks later isn't a big deal. Maybe if you're really borderline like others have mentioned mentioned (lower mcat/gpa).. but give it a shot. I'm going to. IMO It greatly depends on what your score is and when you immediately send your secondaries (of course doing a good job on them).
 
It'll be a bit late, but it still should be okay. I (and others at my school) were complete late august/early september and were admitted in to solid medical schools. That being said, all of us were otherwise strong applicants. If you are a marginal applicant, it may actually be worth it to wait a year and apply very early in 2016. I understand that waiting a year is tough, but going through the application process, not making it in anywhere, and having to do the whole thing again is even tougher.

Can I ask what your stats were? And I am assuming you are matriculating into Columbia?

Just curious because I am planning on applying there as well!