Being honest about gap year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pablo94

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
During interviews interviewers often ask me what I'm doing during my time off and since I've already been accepted I just tell them the truth and say I've been enjoying my time relaxing. Does this come off as arrogant or lazy? I'm just being honest

Members don't see this ad.

Given the proper interpersonal skills, you can justify anything. For example, you can say something along the line of "Undergraduate was rather exhausting, so I felt like I needed to take a gap year to slow down and relax before running again."

I think people would understand if an accepted applicant is taking it easy, even interviewers.

Maybe instead of saying ur doing nothing at all, emphasize some of the ways your spending your time? Developing hobbies, etc.

I mean, are you actually doing nothing or are you relaxing in your own way? Relaxing could be anything from exploring the city to climbing the seven peaks. Unless you're sitting in your mom's basement playing video games all day, I think you should have something to talk about.

Reactions: 1 users