Being in a Pediatrics Residency

Started by bencche
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

bencche

New Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Not sure what to title this, tired of thinking about this and wanting to unload this off my chest.
I've already written about it on my unpublished blog. I wasn't sure what to title it so I titled it after the blog.

This relates to one of my co-residents. It is unfortunate for THEM that I have to ask this question because
THEY could be a danger to someone. There are also a large number of other red flags that this person has raised that call into question their ability to function as a pediatrician.

If someone is a sex offender with strong circumstantial evidence pointing towards it, in a pediatrics residency, what can be done about it? Anything?
Specifically, underage sex with a high school student and drinking/partying and close associations, physical intimacy and numerous other suggestions. This is the big issue, but it's related by a number of other issues that this person has. Frankly I'm so creeped out by this person that I avoid them as much as I possibly can.
With this in mind it may seem like I'm asking an almost rhetorical question, but keep in mind that I can't report this person. I don't want to be seen as a trouble maker or be involved in some kind of a conflict. What can be done when a someone is too bad to stay? I don't want to get personally involved in this trainwreck.
 
Last edited:
I would also point out that as a health professional, you are an obligate reporter. I don't know if the things you mention are happening now or happened in the past (say for example a 19 year old dating a 17 year old after graduating from high school; those people can be charged with a sex offense and may carry that stigma for the rest of their lives), but if you have reason to believe that there is abuse of a minor going on, there is a legal and ethical obligation to report it. In some states they can actually hold you liable for not reporting.
 
Not sure what to title this, tired of thinking about this and wanting to unload this off my chest.
I've already written about it on my unpublished blog. I wasn't sure what to title it so I titled it after the blog.

This relates to one of my co-residents. It is unfortunate for THEM that I have to ask this question because
THEY could be a danger to someone. There are also a large number of other red flags that this person has raised that call into question their ability to function as a pediatrician.

If someone is a sex offender with strong circumstantial evidence pointing towards it, in a pediatrics residency, what can be done about it? Anything?
Specifically, underage sex with a high school student and drinking/partying and close associations, physical intimacy and numerous other suggestions. This is the big issue, but it's related by a number of other issues that this person has. Frankly I'm so creeped out by this person that I avoid them as much as I possibly can.
With this in mind it may seem like I'm asking an almost rhetorical question, but keep in mind that I can't report this person. I don't want to be seen as a trouble maker or be involved in some kind of a conflict. What can be done when a someone is too bad to stay? I don't want to get personally involved in this trainwreck.

I would first confront the individual about your concerns. There is not a single person in this world who if he or she had his or her entire personal life exposed there wouldn't be ethical/moral questions. It's definitely understandable to have strong concerns about a colleague, particularly if you do feel there is conduct external to the professional environment that is not consonant with the workplace, but I would exhort talking to that person first before reporting him or her. I would only report if you are aware of an overt breach of professionalism; and in this case, you should still confront him or her first.