DATkiller

5+ Year Member
Apr 5, 2010
Status
Dental Student
Hey guys. I am taking the test in about two months. I am curently taking the kaplan class and reading the material. For some reason, I have a hard time being productive. I want to be able to focus for a long amount of time and increase my concentration. Any tips and advices?
Ps. I know I have been to college and this is not my first time studying.
pps. I don't want to take adderall lol.

Rainee

7+ Year Member
Mar 31, 2010
Status
Hey guys. I am taking the test in about two months. I am curently taking the kaplan class and reading the material. For some reason, I have a hard time being productive. I want to be able to focus for a long amount of time and increase my concentration. Any tips and advices?
My best advice is this:

Do Problems!. Don't just read. I read for the first month of my DAT studying, and felt like I was learning things. When I started the second month, I started doing problems and I couldn't do ANYTHING!. I felt like I wasted a month of studying.

Do problems as you go, it makes learning that much easier.

Secondly, since you have 2 months of studying, I suggest you kick your butt into shape. You need to give yourself the best shot at dental school- that means being in the first batch of considered APs. If you fail your test in two months, you're screwed because theres a 3 month retake.

Finally, the biggest butt kicker of them all- Go buy DAT Achiever test now, and take one test. You're scores will SUCK. If that doesn't wake you up, then nothing will.

Smiley25

5+ Year Member
Mar 22, 2010
Status
Pre-Dental
Listen, you are not alone.... I felt the exact same way. Especially when I got to the Kaplan QR Subject tests....It took me an entire week just to complete the 7 of them! :-( I would definitely start doing practice tests now..that should give you more motivation and show you what areas you need to concentrate on. Try Chad's videos www.coursesaver.com or www.Khansacademy.com and watch videos along with the lectures...this will hopefully reinforce ideas and break-up the reading. Good luck....I have 3 weeks until DAT....:eek:

dentalWorks

Nights Watchmen
7+ Year Member
Jun 25, 2009
Sterling Hts, Mi
Status
Dentist
unfortunately, most of people who study for the DAT have this problem. I studied for this test for about 3 months cause I was avging only 2-3 hours a day (VERY VERY unproductive and I wish I didn't do this)... If I retake my DAT, I would spend 6 weeks of 7-8 hours a day

MrBeans

MrBeans
Nov 6, 2009
Status
Pre-Dental
Best advise is to do practice problems!

This will keep the gears constantly in motion in your head, it will prepare you better for what you see on test day, and it should keep you more focused and awake than idly reading information. ;)

DATkiller

5+ Year Member
Apr 5, 2010
Status
Dental Student
Thanks guys. I will try to do the kaplan problems. They have problems for each sectionand each subject. Since I graduated a semester earlier, I have nothing to do but to study for DAT. thanks for the advices guys.