Being "Out" in Residency Applications

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aspiringdermophile

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
How much of a risk is it to be "out" for residency applications?

Dermatology residency is plenty competitive, and I am scared that prejudice from applicant reviewers or interviewers would bias against my application. I have 1-2 semi-significant activities and a minor research poster at a conference that I have been involved in that are LGBT-related. I could exclude these from my application if it were a risk (which would be disheartening), but ultimately, if my future career prospects are on the line, I would do this. Honest thoughts and advice would be much appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Dermatology residency is plenty competitive, and I am scared that prejudice from applicant reviewers or interviewers would bias against my application. I have 1-2 semi-significant activities and a minor research poster at a conference that I have been involved in that are LGBT-related. I could exclude these from my application if it were a risk (which would be disheartening), but ultimately, if my future career prospects are on the line, I would do this. Honest thoughts and advice would be much appreciated.

I don't think it's a large risk

That being said, I think it depends how competitive an applicant you are and what your risk tolerance is.

I was not a top tier applicant, I have low risk tolerance. I wouldn't want anything to possibly "cost me points" when compared with other applicants so I would lean towards keeping that kind of personal information private until matched.

Obviously, if you are a more competitive applicant that every program will be chasing after or feel you shouldn't have to hide that kind of information, you may view things differently.

I don't think it's a risk, and even if it is, it's one worth taking.

You don't want to end up in a residency where the PD or faculty are put off by your sexuality. That won't do you any favors in terms of job satisfaction, evals, letters, networking, etc.

What you want to find in a residency is one where you fit in and get along. Don't compromise that.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)

If I were a PD, I'd probably be more concerned with how much you would add to my residency program. That's usually measured in Step scores, clinical grades and performance on the interview (as I want people I like being around).

Who people go to bed with is less of a concern if they are able to perform.

I don't know how anyone could deduce anything about you from a research project even if it is "LGBT-related". The activities would probably make it clear, I suppose. Depending on what they are.

I'm not sure it matters that much, to be honest.

I will say that if I did think it was significant, I'd recommend leaving off the activities.

I also kind of disagree that you don't want to end up in a "place where people are put off by your sexuality". I mean obviously that's not ideal, but if my choices are that or not matching in derm at all. I would pick matching in the hostile environment. You're not going to end up at a program where literally everyone is intolerant. Worst-case is that it's several people. And while that sucks, not matching sucks more.

I realize that I say this without really understanding what it's like to be in your position. So, I'll admit I could be wrong here. It's just my best guess.

Reactions: 2 users
Do you know how many gay dermatologists there are? A LOT

There are many programs with queer residents and faculty. Derm is not ortho or neurosurgery; the vast majority of programs are going to be very welcoming to queer applicants.

If you are still concerned, feel free to PM me, but again, in 2018, listing those things on your application for derm should not be an issue

Reactions: 1 users