Being premed do your parents expect you to know everything already?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Psycho Doctor

*** Angel
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've found that anytime there is any medical problem, symptoms, diagnosis, etc etc my parents expect me to have all the answers, know wha tprocedures to do, wha tit means and the prognosis. I'm not even in med school yet, i don't know this stuff. And I really don't like being put into the siituation, especially when they involve people we're really close to. Anyone else? How do you deal with it?

Members don't see this ad.

Psycho Doctor said:
I've found that anytime there is any medical problem, symptoms, diagnosis, etc etc my parents expect me to have all the answers, know wha tprocedures to do, wha tit means and the prognosis. I'm not even in med school yet, i don't know this stuff. And I really don't like being put into the siituation, especially when they involve people we're really close to. Anyone else? How do you deal with it?
hahahahaha..same thing happens to me...lol..isnt it freakin annoying?

Just be honest with yourself about your capabilities and your limitations. I'm pretty sure that works throughout your medical career. Given that you have no reason TO know these things already, why not just be honest with whoever asks?

Usually I just say, "I'm not there yet. There's a lot of prerequisite science, and so far I've only studied that. I'll get back to you in a few years, though."

Of course if it sounds like it could be a problem (fungating mass peeking out of left boob, or rheumatoid arthritis, for example) you could say, "Go see someone for that. Someone besides me."

;)

Probably generally a good idea to tell them to see their own physician about it, though, to be serious. Since you don't have the education to judge what's really bad and what's okay.

Members don't see this ad :)
See, after being an engineer in college, I've gotten used to saying, "I have no idea what you're talking about" and "I don't know". I use these phrases frequently when talking to my family.... and then I tell them to ask a real doctor.

tinkerbelle said:
See, after being an engineer in college, I've gotten used to saying, "I have no idea what you're talking about" and "I don't know". I use these phrases frequently when talking to my family.... and then I tell them to ask a real doctor.

Hahaha!!! That's totally my dad! "Hey SRQGirl, do you think this mole is something to worry about?" "Lately, I've had shooting pains up my right leg, what do you think it it?" I just tell him, my best advice it to GO SEE A DOCTOR. Then I gently remind him that the only degree I have is in English...i.e. I have NO CLUE!!

Parents are funny. :laugh:

parents? even my friends do that!!! and for some odd reason, i feel really stupid not being able to tell them an answer... :)

lulubean said:
parents? even my friends do that!!! and for some odd reason, i feel really stupid not being able to tell them an answer... :)

OMG, everyone does it!! Drives me nuts. I have actually told people that if it still hurts in four years, I will let them know whats wrong....

I'm in a writing major and I was in this workshop class and this guy was writing a screenplay where his main character not only suffered from bipolar disorder but was going to poison someone.

The teacher kept pressing me for drugs the character could be taking and how he could poison the other person and get away with it. He simply didn't get it that I had no freaking clue...

SRQGirl said:
Hahaha!!! That's totally my dad! "Hey SRQGirl, do you think this mole is something to worry about?"

Why does your dad call you by your SDN name? :laugh:

Ugh, I have the exact opposite problem. Whenever I try to apply anything I learned in my post-bacc to real-life health, my dad (ER doctor... ugh) is like, "You know nothing of medicine. Shut up." It's so encouraging. ;)

UnskinnyBop said:
Ugh, I have the exact opposite problem.

My dad (also a doc, family medicine and geriatrics) is like that, too. If we disagree about something, he'll tell me, "You haven't graduated from medical school yet!" Sometimes I actually do know more about the science than he does, but I can't argue with him on his turf. :laugh:

I always think it's funny when my family members ask me about medical stuff. It's always prefaced "You're going to be a doctor, what do you think about...".

I think for my family (since I'll be the first to be a doctor) it's both a compliment to me and my aspirations, and a reminder that it makes them all very proud. Not that I'd ever become a MD just to appease my family, but the encouragement is nice.

Members don't see this ad :)
Reimat said:
I always think it's funny when my family members ask me about medical stuff. It's always prefaced "You're going to be a doctor, what do you think about...".

I think for my family (since I'll be the first to be a doctor) it's both a compliment to me and my aspirations, and a reminder that it makes them all very proud. Not that I'd ever become a MD just to appease my family, but the encouragement is nice.

Look here, Reimat, you quit following me around this site!!! :laugh:

No way
come live in my house -- for that "you are only smarter than the dog...and thats for the days you remember your way home!" feeling!

No, not really. My mom has more medical education than me (she's an RN), and my dad's a ski patroller, which is pretty similar to getting your EMT (which I've got), so they don't really ask me anything.

Heck, I use it as a chance to test my twisted medical theories and practice medicine recreationally. You can learn a lot by the "does it hurt when I do this?" line.
I'm mostly joking about the above, but as I think about it, it really isn't that far removed from how we practiced medicine in the military. Minimal training, but frightening expectations. "You watched someone getting stitches last week...now you go do it!" :eek:

every time i tell my parents or grandparents to see a doctor, they say they'll just wait 6 years until i can treat them, that way they won't have to pay for it :rolleyes:

although in my skate group class, when they all found out i was studying for the mcat, every time one of them falls and hurts themselves, they expect me to be able to tell them what's wrong. maybe it's calling me to sports medicine.

i don't get it so much from family members as i do from friends. at times it is annoying... but at the same time it makes me feel good that they trust me enough to talk to me about their health problems.

it doesn't matter, though, b/c the answer is always the same "i don't know, go to the doctor."

whenever anyone asks me for med advice... like what about this cough or what about this cut, i always refer to the best medicine. Robitussin. Get that Tussin in there boy. as Mr Murphy prescribes.

wth do u monkeys live in a palace?
my parents are too smart ..our VCR never flashed 12:00....and there is no tape across the screen

can i join one of your families for a day and give our rampant medical advice?
who wants me?
come on!

lulubean said:
yea i guess it is everyone but recently due to a family medical crisis the family is driving me crazy.

I dont know about your friends, but mine, whenever they dont know something about a certain thing or topic, they look at me and say "Cmon, you dont know this?? You're gonna be a friggin doctor!" It could be anything too, like what type of wood is the chair they're sitting on made of, or what exact degree does the Earth rotate, like I said, it could be anything, and they expect me to know just because Im gonna be a doctor....pretty ridiculous huh?

I don't really get asked for medical advice, but I do get pressured by my mom and other female relatives to go into plastic surgery. ;)

tinkerbelle said:

Yeah, i hear ya...ever since i embarked on my premed journey my mom has become a hypochondriac and both my mom and dad have combined for like 10 surgical procedures. It's pathetic. However, three weeks ago i properly diagnosed my dad's appendicitis while he emphatically rejected me. Pressed on the lower right quadrant superior and medial to the hip flexor and boom rebounding pain and he screamed in agony. Sorry if that sounds amusing to me, anyways I took him into the ER and sure enough he had an appendectomy that night. So, it's good to know what's what in obvious situations, but when my mom asks me to palpate every darned thing that appears swollen or discolored i just ask her how long it's been since she's seen someone, then i tell her to stop smoking for starters. This might sound trollish but i am sitting on SDN on saturday night drinking a beer by myself. I'm pathetic. Of course i got off baseball practice at 11p.m., thanks coach. Anyone else feelin' me?

watsupdoc15 said:
This might sound trollish but i am sitting on SDN on saturday night drinking a beer by myself. I'm pathetic.... Anyone else feelin' me?

I'm right here with ya bro. Saturday night and I'm alone and peruzing SDN... f*ckin rediculous.

UCLAstudent said:
I don't really get asked for medical advice, but I do get pressured by my mom and other female relatives to go into plastic surgery. ;)

Ewwww...can you imagine your mom (or any SDNers mom) asking for a free boob job later in life. ACK!!!!

I have actually answered medical questions with..."I saw that on ER once..."

abraxas20 said:
I have actually answered medical questions with..."I saw that on ER once..."

awesome! :thumbup: