Being Waitlisted? What does that mean?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dougEfresh

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just got a response on Drexel's Online Portal that I got waitlisted and a letter was mailed - meaning I will receive it soon. What does it mean to be waitlisted? I know that means I will have to wait until accepted applicants decline their offers, but is there an order in which I will be considered... (Like I'm number 5 on the waitlist, and the person who is number 2 will get considered before I do). Also if I don't get accepted due to the waitlisting, can or will my admittance to the program be deferred to next year? Please help me out, especially those who got waitlisted for Drexel. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

There most certainly is a rank order within the waitlist. You can be 1st, or you can be 50th. The only way to find out is to call the admissions department of the school you are applying to, and ask them where you are in the waitlist. As a side note, what other schools did you get into?

I got accepted to NYIT and LIU. I'm leaning more towards LIU right now cause LIU is a easy commute and I am officially accepted. I wouldn't mind NYIT, but NYIT lack dorms nearby and my access around the neighborhood is difficult because I don't have a car. Hopefully I will be bumped up into the acceptance list with Drexel :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, there is a rank order for waitlists. I contacted my top choice and heard back yesterday that I was waitlisted, but they said that I'm in the next tier to be accepted. At least you're still in the running.

I just got a response on Drexel's Online Portal that I got waitlisted and a letter was mailed - meaning I will receive it soon. What does it mean to be waitlisted? I know that means I will have to wait until accepted applicants decline their offers, but is there an order in which I will be considered... (Like I'm number 5 on the waitlist, and the person who is number 2 will get considered before I do). Also if I don't get accepted due to the waitlisting, can or will my admittance to the program be deferred to next year? Please help me out, especially those who got waitlisted for Drexel. Thanks!
i got waitlisted at drexel as well. they wont give you any information at all. the admissions coordinator told me they dont rank the waitlist, which makes no sense. she did say they may eventually rank it, but will not tell you where you stand on the list. it may be 2 or 3 weeks before the program starts that you may even from them.

she also told me everyone who was accepted has until mid-april to submit a deposit. so, after that date, i assume numerous spots will open up. ive talked to 2 people on here who got in and are declining, so i think its safe to assume several others will drop off as well.

I know that Mayo won't rank its waitlist until they have received the responses to its offers of acceptance. They said once those are in, the admissions committee then decides how to rank the waitlist.

IN response to musclehead

What that admissions officer told you was most likely a lie. If they tell you they do not rank the waitlist, then they probably are saying that to pretty much blunt any further questioning you might have regarding your position in the waitlist etc. Ive heard that in many programs, about 10 -15% come off of the waiting list...so guys dont worry, if you are on it, you have a chance, and some of you a very good chance...you just don't know it because they wont tell you where you are in the rankings.

I got accepted to NYIT and LIU. I'm leaning more towards LIU right now cause LIU is a easy commute and I am officially accepted. I wouldn't mind NYIT, but NYIT lack dorms nearby and my access around the neighborhood is difficult because I don't have a car. Hopefully I will be bumped up into the acceptance list with Drexel :)

Its funny you got accepted to both of those places because I am waiting on both, but have not heard word from either of them. Did you do well on your GRE? I am worried my GRE score might hurt me with LIU and Touro.

I got into Drexel but will be going to another institution, so bump yourself up 1 spot on the waitlist...

I got into Drexel but will be going to another institution, so bump yourself up 1 spot on the waitlist...

ahhaa. I want to hear that same statemebt but replace Drexel with Mercy or Sacred Heart.

I got into Sacred Heart but will be going to another institution, so bump yourself up 1 spot on the waitlist...

haha

I got into Sacred Heart but will be going to another institution, so bump yourself up 1 spot on the waitlist...

haha

hahahhaah. Its good some people have a sense of humour around here. Im on the waitlist at sacred heart, but I havent heard of anyone that got in yet. I just want the next 3 weeks to be over!

hahahhaah. Its good some people have a sense of humour around here. Im on the waitlist at sacred heart, but I havent heard of anyone that got in yet. I just want the next 3 weeks to be over!
right? i hate this process

Its funny you got accepted to both of those places because I am waiting on both, but have not heard word from either of them. Did you do well on your GRE? I am worried my GRE score might hurt me with LIU and Touro.

Bro, my GRE weren't that great at all lol. I got 1080, but if you looked at the verbal and math scores individually, it wasn't that great of a score - especially verbal. All I gotta say, I am fortunate to be accepted to these schools and I wish the best for you man. I'm pretty sure you'll get into one of those schools cause' there are others thing the admissions committee considers, it not all about the GREs.

You got wait listed @ mercy? I say GOOD LUCK to you my friend, I got wait listed there 2 years ago and they never told me I was on wait list until i called after the official decision day posted on their website and they didn't decline me officially to this day. LOL when I called they didn't even know my status until the director said, o ur in, then said o wait wrong person, ur on the wait list. BTW they have some old schoool facilities, faculty, and overall weak everything.. I hope you get into a Scared Heart, cuz Mercy is a crap shoot.

i got into a diff school and i am thankful i didn't get inot mercy! :thumbup:

You got wait listed @ mercy? I say GOOD LUCK to you my friend, I got wait listed there 2 years ago and they never told me I was on wait list until i called after the official decision day posted on their website and they didn't decline me officially to this day. LOL when I called they didn't even know my status until the director said, o ur in, then said o wait wrong person, ur on the wait list. BTW they have some old schoool facilities, faculty, and overall weak everything.. I hope you get into a Scared Heart, cuz Mercy is a crap shoot.

i got into a diff school and i am thankful i didn't get inot mercy! :thumbup:

Well it seems somebody is quite upset with Mercy! Before I allow shogun to ruin Mercy's rep, let me say this: Sacred Heart created its DPT program based on the Mercy Program, and this I was told by a Sacred Heart Assistant Professor. So lets realize that Mercy College has a DPT program just as strong if not stronger than Sacred Heart....Also Dr. Emery, now at Sacred Heart, the most esteemed professor in PT according to the APTA....well he came from Mercy too... So lets not knock Mercy when it has a top dpt program, with previous and present faculty who ensure that it stays that way.

Wait it was not Dr. Emery, I have to find the name of the professor, I'll find out who teh defector was.

Either way Id jump at the chance to go to EITHER school. Sacred Heart maybe more likely since it simply has nicer facilities, but then again maybe that doesnt affect my decision. Im not quite sure yet.

Kool...but you fail to understand my point. I am not knocking the program (education wise), I am knocking the Logistics/Front Office/Communication/Call Handling etc...The Facilities are old. If the director spoke to you not knowing what was going on, well you would see my point. (not once but 3 times)

And let me also say one more thing.. I am not trying to start an argument or bumping heads with you either. Just stating my opinion.

Well it seems somebody is quite upset with Mercy! Before I allow shogun to ruin Mercy's rep, let me say this: Sacred Heart created its DPT program based on the Mercy Program, and this I was told by a Sacred Heart Assistant Professor. So lets realize that Mercy College has a DPT program just as strong if not stronger than Sacred Heart....Also Dr. Emery, now at Sacred Heart, the most esteemed professor in PT according to the APTA....well he came from Mercy too... So lets not knock Mercy when it has a top dpt program, with previous and present faculty who ensure that it stays that way.

Kool...but you fail to understand my point. I am not knocking the program (education wise), I am knocking the Logistics/Front Office/Communication/Call Handling etc...The Facilities are old. If the director spoke to you not knowing what was going on, well you would see my point. (not once but 3 times)

And let me also say one more thing.. I am not trying to start an argument or bumping heads with you either. Just stating my opinion.

I appreciate your opinion, I just wanted to make sure people were not taking it to mean that the program was any lesser than Sacred Hearts. I share a similiar problems regarding logistics/communication but with Sacred Heart. The person who handles admission applicant's inquiries is rather short in her responses, almost to the point of being rude. You ask her a question by email and when she writes back it is one sentence. You try to follow up, again a one sentence answer, that does not satisfy your question. Then there is the issue of the interviewer not getting back to you after sending them not one not two but three emails. Again I am not saying Sacred Heart is a lesser program than Mercy, but it sure as hell has some staff dissatisfied with their jobs (particulary the main woman that handles the applicants inquiries) and is letting that get in the way of making sincere attempts to help students who have every right to ask them questions being that 1) it is their JOB to answer our questions and 2) we are nervous, worried students who deserve to be able to ask what we want. So given that, im not sure id pick either school over the other