Beirut Arab University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

drewshaker

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,
I was hoping one could give us a first hand account of this university or if anyone has even heard of it and could tell us about it. It looks like a sweet school in Beirut. The university was started in the 60's and was a "sattelite school" of the University of Alexandria in Egypt. I don't know if anyone is familiar with that university but it is by far one of the best in the middle east, hands down.

Anyway, I know Beirut is a cool place now that the war is over. I hear they are very moderate, modern, cosmo and all that. Please help us with and tell us what you think. What do people in the middle east/lebanon generally think of this school compared to the others? Difficulty of admission?

www.bau.edu.lb

Thank in advance,
A

Members don't see this ad.

I'm an American who lives in Beirut. It's perfectly safe and enjoyable.

But I have no idea why you'd think of coming to medical school here. The American University of Beirut has a great medical school, but you'll have problems getting in here if you didn't get in in the U.S.

I can't imagine going to Beirut Arab University and then heading to the U.S. or Europe to practice.

Talk about one of the most ignorant comments i've ever heard.

"""""""""""""it's filled with hizballah terrorists""""""""""""""

For one thing, I am not a naive American. I am Egyptian. I speak Arabic, french, english. I would fit in better there than I would here. And for that dumb ass from Israel.....are you an idoit? Lebanon is way safer from Israel. Lebanon won't even allow people with an Israel visa stamp allowed in their country. Why? Because they don't want to associate the country with that crap. I think you must be a zionist or something. to just attack Lebanon.

Thanks for your kind words,
A

Members don't see this ad :)
If you want a good medical school in the middle east area try Cornell university. Cornell is well known respected university in the united states.

drewshaker said:

For one thing, I am not a naive American. I am Egyptian. I speak Arabic, french, english. I would fit in better there than I would here. And for that dumb ass from Israel.....are you an idoit? Lebanon is way safer from Israel. Lebanon won't even allow people with an Israel visa stamp allowed in their country. Why? Because they don't want to associate the country with that crap. I think you must be a zionist or something. to just attack Lebanon.

A

I apologize for bringing politics into this forum. My intent was to protect fellow americans from harm while not pointing fingers at anyone. I took the initiative to delete my post so as not to offend anyone.
However, with this said, I do not appreciate your offensive remarks. Learn to be respectful of other peoples opinions. :thumbdown:

I'm seriously sorry dude. My apologies.

Take care,
A

drewshaker said:
I'm seriously sorry dude. My apologies.

Take care,
A
Apologies accepted.
I still think you are better off in Tel aviv though :p

drewshaker said:

A

If you quote using the quote button, things won't seem so cryptic when someone deletes their post. The way your post reads, I wasn't sure you didn't write it.

You're safer in Lebanon than in Israel. Even if you were a white American.

I went to school in Israel and I always felt safe there. The chances of getting blown up by a suicide bomber are extremely small and are almost nil if you do not ride buses and only go to places with proper security which nowadays are most places. Anyone who is of Arab background or of the moslem faith will definitely feel more comfortable and experience less hassle in an Arab country than in Israel so if you are of that ethnicity or faith, go to Beirut. Any Jew or white American will feel far more comfortable in Israel as it is a western style democracy with westernized inhabitants. While Lebanon is one of the more westernized Arab nations, its moderness pales in comparison to Israel's and waking up to the 5 am call to prayer is just not fun if you're not moslem. Another reason to avoid Arab nations right now are the recent kidnappings by Al Qaeda terrorists which could easily start occurring in Lebanon as Lebanon is a nation which harbors terrorists as well as many other types of criminals. If you think about it, it doesn't take a genius to realize Israel is alot safer than Beirut and it doesn't take a zionist or even a jew to make this point.

Jason-

This is probably a pointless reply, but I disagree. I've lived in Beirut for a little more than a year and never had any kind of problem. And I stick out. A big, goofy white American. If you're talking of terrorists in Lebanon, you probably mean Hizbullah. They won't touch us. It'd be politically disastrous for them.

The slight chance that you'd inadvertenly be the victim of an attack is greater in Israel than in Lebanon.

I've been both places, and I'd say Beirut has more to offer in terms of entertainment. More and more bands and DJs from Europe are showing up. And then there's the Lebanese women who have to be the most beautiful in the world.

jlittlej said:
You're safer in Lebanon than in Israel. Even if you were a white American.

Right, and SUV's don't flip :laugh: :laugh: .

Hi
i want to enter a 4 year medical programme and i am looking around in middle east and europe. is there anybody who is studying in beirut? i saw so far that there are 2 unis, the american and arab uni. has anybody got experience with either of them? how is the quality of education and international recognition? are there any financial aids for non us or arab citizens?what are the admission requirements?
thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
hello,
im a lebanese student and ill be attending fdu in new jersey this fall. Beirut is a fantastic city, dont worry about all this crap, hizbullah terrorists and i dont know what, and i really think its actually safer than israel.
anyway, you're right, beirut is one of the most moderate cities in the middle east, espacially in its eastern part, though i have to admitt that some extremisim is found in the extreme western parts of it. Lifestyle there is really great..what i can assure you is that you'll have a great lifestyle there..
as for the arab university, what ive heard is that its a good university, but if you really want to attend a worldclass university in beirut, you have only one choice, the AUB.

Jorje286 said:
beirut is one of the most moderate cities in the middle east, espacially in its eastern part, though i have to admitt that some extremisim is found in the extreme western parts of it.

Beirut Is a coastal city. It is located in NWest lebanon. That is precisely where these so called "extremists" aka Hizbullah terrorist offices are located.
Again my point is not to scare you but to enlighten you with the fact that similar to the Iraqi Sadyr militia these Hizbullah fighters show no mercy.
Although Israel has security problems the comparison between the two cannot be done.
Granted, Lebanon has become a Mecca for western artists to perform in; However the stakes are still high for Americans in the region as long as Syria, the puppet-master, essentialy remains in control of Lebanon.

ZIONIST!!!!

im sorry is that an offensive word?
I was not aware that bieng pro Israel was such a horibble thing.
perhaps you can clarify this for me

shadowy onion..the funny thing is that you appologised before for bringing politics into this forum ...and now you're doing it again...hizbullah have their main offices in beirut..but again that doesnt mean that they will attack people or something like that..i cant remember a single "terrorist" act happening in beirut comitted by hizbullah men..As a matter of fact, the few "terrorist" activities happening in Beirut in the last five years or so were comitted by israeli agents killing hizbullah people :p..
as i say again, theres absolutely no need to worry from hizbuallh from any foreigner as long as they arent "israeli agents"..hizbuallh is a recognised political party in lebanon and has members in the parliament..and its not in his favour to comit any of these acts..
As for " the comparison between the 2 can not be done"..i think you're right(!).."terrorist" acts in beirut comitted by some israeli agents, are nothing to comapre with what has been happening in the last couple of years in israel..

Jorje286 said:
shadowy onion..the funny thing is that you appologised before for bringing politics into this forum ...and now you're doing it again...hizbullah have their main offices in beirut..but again that doesnt mean that they will attack people or something like that..i cant remember a single "terrorist" act happening in beirut comitted by hizbullah men..As a matter of fact, the few "terrorist" activities happening in Beirut in the last five years or so were comitted by israeli agents killing hizbullah people :p..
as i say again, theres absolutely no need to worry from hizbuallh from any foreigner as long as they arent "israeli agents"..hizbuallh is a recognised political party in lebanon and has members in the parliament..and its not in his favour to comit any of these acts..
As for " the comparison between the 2 can not be done"..i think you're right(!).."terrorist" acts in beirut comitted by some israeli agents, are nothing to comapre with what has been happening in the last couple of years in israel..

Some of these posts are outrageous in their ignorance. They cannot and should not be ignored. It was a mistake to label these ideas as political. Terrorism is apolitical and affects both left and right wing supporters.
Over the last ten years Hizbullah has carried out hundreds if not thousands of terrorist attacks from south Lebanon into Israel shooting rockets anti aircraft and anything they can get their hands on. Since israel left south Lebanon a few years ago Hizbullah has gained support from both the muslim and christian community (how soon they forget). Both groups "credit" Hizbullah for Israels withdrawl.
Let us not forget that Hizbullah is a recognized terrorist organization. Anyone supporting this organization is commiting a federal crime.
Jorje (Habash?), you are coming pretty close to supporting this group. If I were you I would erase your post and hope it hasn't already been spotted. Be more careful when trying to support your Ideals and morals. It can land you in prison instead of in Med-school.

thanks for the advice,
i never even came close to support hizbullah...i totally oppose their anti-democratic islamists principles..the point was and still, that theres absolutely nothing to worry about in beirut..out of fear for a hizbuallh attack..and go review my arguments in the previous post...i think you totally missed the point

Jorje286 said:
thanks for the advice,
i never even came close to support hizbullah...i totally oppose their anti-democratic islamists principles..the point was and still, that theres absolutely nothing to worry about in beirut..out of fear for a hizbuallh attack..and go review my arguments in the previous post...i think you totally missed the point

I ignored your point because it doesn't deserve a reaction.
I am glad that you pulled your support. It was the smart thing to do.

shadowy onion-

You have little idea what you're talking about. Right now in Beirut, there's about 150 American students taking Arabic courses at the American university. Not one has had a problem. I've lived here for more than a year. In West Beirut - on the Muslim side of the Green Line. No problems. The only American who's had trouble here in the last few years was trying to spread Christianity in a very dangerous place. Your comments are ignorant.

It's perfectly safe. You've never been here. You don't have a clue. Try to make an argument for a change as opposed to just dismissing everyone else's.

beirut was a cool city to visitwhen i went to syria last summer .amazing looking ladies ;D, and i met some fellow americans their as well as in damascus. Nobody harasses them or what not. Id be more scared to live in tel aviv than beirut definitely

jlittlej said:
shadowy onion-

You have little idea what you're talking about. Right now in Beirut, there's about 150 American students taking Arabic courses at the American university. Not one has had a problem. I've lived here for more than a year. In West Beirut - on the Muslim side of the Green Line. No problems. The only American who's had trouble here in the last few years was trying to spread Christianity in a very dangerous place. Your comments are ignorant.

It's perfectly safe. You've never been here. You don't have a clue. Try to make an argument for a change as opposed to just dismissing everyone else's.

How do you think the thousands of Americans in the WTC felt the morning of 9/11. I'm sure they all felt pretty safe as they drank their morning coffee. An hour later many of them were dead. As safe as the 150 Americans feel in Beirut It is easier to target them in Lebanon, than Americans on their own soil.
What if a terrorist organization (aka Hizbullah, Al Qaeda both of whom reside in the area!!) decided to target these Americans? What then? Who will protect these students? Lebanonese Police?

i'm worried for these students. If you want to study in an Arab country, thats great, I applaud that. However there are safer arab countries these days . Countries like Egypt and Jordan.

shadowy onion..i'm not gonna respond to your impoliteness, all I can tell you is that you're trying to destroy the image of my country on a totally ignorent and unfounded ideas...al quaeda dont reside in beirut...and hizbullah wont attack any students or tourists as long as they are not israeli agents, or have any clear israeli connections...go and make some research about hizbullah, maybe youll know them better...by the way, I "didnt pull my support to hizbullah", i always opposed their doctrine and the fact that they are armed...
and here an advise for you : even if you dont agree with people, and you find them silly or whatever, try to be polite...impoliteness is a form of uncivilisation....and to be honest with you, I find people quite silly when they use personal attacks to respond to people instead of arguments.

Shadowy onion did hezbollah invade israel?

Jorje286 said:
shadowy onion..i'm not gonna respond to your impoliteness, all I can tell you is that you're trying to destroy the image of my country on a totally ignorent and unfounded ideas...al quaeda dont reside in beirut...and hizbullah wont attack any students or tourists as long as they are not israeli agents, or have any clear israeli connections...go and make some research about hizbullah, maybe youll know them better...by the way, I "didnt pull my support to hizbullah", i always opposed their doctrine and the fact that they are armed...
and here an advise for you : even if you dont agree with people, and you find them silly or whatever, try to be polite...impoliteness is a form of uncivilisation....and to be honest with you, I find people quite silly when they use personal attacks to respond to people instead of arguments.

YOU feel personally attacked?!!??!! Are you kidding??
I'm sorry, Did I destroy your credibility? Did I blow-up your integrity? Did I maim your countries image? Did I be-head your morals?

Get my drift?

kash_711 said:

They are not that sophistacated. Instead they prefer to Kill innocent women and children while video-taping it.

shadowy onion said:
Lebanon has become a Mecca for western artists to perform in.
:thumbdown:

At least you have to show some respect to muslim's holy place "Mecca" If you want any of us to respect your opinion or to take your points.

kash_711 said:
shadowy onion said:
They are not that sophistacated. Instead they prefer to Kill innocent women and children while video-taping it on tape.

"Kill innocent women and children" :laugh: REALLY , Ithink you have to think again

"They are not that sophistacated" But they were soooo sophisticated to free their land from Israely invasion :) .

I think you have to rethink 100 times befor posting this answer. Be more realistic !!

Brave Heart said:

At least you have to show some respect to muslim's holy place "Mecca" If you want any of us to respect your opinion or to take your points.

I know he didn't mean anything derogatory when he said Lebanon is a Mecca for western artists. Read the sentence again. Mecca in the dictionary has definitions such as:

A place that is regarded as the center of an activity or interest.
A goal to which adherents of a religious faith or practice fervently aspire.
A place visited by many people: a mecca for tourists.

he was only using the word to emphasize his point.

kash_711 said:
Mecca in the dictionary has definitions such as: ......

Mecca = with Capital letter has different meaning , what do you think ?!!

Lebanon is a dichotomy, but it has by far the most western (francophone country), open minded people in the middle east. Does it have a rough history sure. But Onion its not like what you think it once was, it has come along way since the civil war. Granted there is still an even longer road to go.

Brave Heart said:
Mecca = with Capital letter has different meaning , what do you think ?!!

I am sure it was an honest mistake no need to get your knickers in a knot

kash_711 said:
Lebanon is a dichotomy, but it has by far the most western (francophone country), open minded people in the middle east. Does it have a rough history sure. But Onion its not like what you think it once was, it has come along way since the civil war. Granted there is still an even longer road to go.

I can't agree more :)

kash_711 said:

I agree that Lebanon is Westernized and open-minded. However the dangers as I pointed them out are still valid.

Brave Heart said:

"Kill innocent women and children" :laugh: REALLY , Ithink you have to think again

"They are not that sophistacated" But they were soooo sophisticated to free their land from Israely invasion :) .

I think you have to rethink 100 times befor posting this answer. Be more realistic !!

Not a funny post. Life isn't hollywood Mr. Wallace.
And your mecca comment....... really sad.

shadowy onion said:
Not a funny post.

Not funnier than posts from Trerrorist obsessed Israely :D Mr. Onion :laugh:

shadowy onion said:
And your mecca comment....... really sad.

At least you got my point ;)

Brave Heart said:
Not funnier than posts from Trerrorist obsessed Israely :D Mr. Onion :laugh:

At least you got my point ;)

So how about we leave the topic and move on to funnier things.

shadowy onion

i was reading this thread and i didnt want to reply, because this board is devoted to health professional and not political debates, but after you ignorant remarks i feel obliged to respond. First yoycome to thread and made comparison between Israel and Lebanon, and called Lebanon unsafe place full of terrorist. second thing you accusing any American or western studying there of being terrorist??. and now you accusing people of committing a "Federal crime". man your full of it. please keep you pointless political remarks out of this board. i dont want to read more of this bull****.

maxell said:
shadowy onion

i was reading this thread and i didnt want to reply, because this board is devoted to health professional and not political debates, but after you ignorant remarks i feel obliged to respond. First yoycome to thread and made comparison between Israel and Lebanon, and called Lebanon unsafe place full of terrorist. second thing you accusing any American or western studying there of being terrorist??. and now you accusing people of committing a "Federal crime". man your full of it. please keep you pointless political remarks out of this board. i dont want to read more of this bull****.

Thats right Maxell, all Americans and westerners are terrorists and should be banished from Lebanon.

Hey, good luck on the MCAT :laugh:

Folks, I realize this is sensitive stuff in here, but please try to keep things civil and non-inciting.

drewshaker said:
Hey guys,
I was hoping one could give us a first hand account of this university or if anyone........... Anyway, I know Beirut is a cool place now that the war is over. I hear the... this school compared to the others? Difficulty of admission?

www.bau.edu.lb
A

Sorry don't know about the school.

BUT, Beirut is an amazing city to live in... Like any cities it has its good and bad.. but overal I would say it is wonderful. If you make friends with lebanese people .. which I am sure you will .. they are very open and welcoming.. especially to westerners... Most don't realize that approx. 10million lebanese (origin from Leb.. ) live outside the country... and the country had to adjust to many foreign kids coming to visit... even if they don't speak arabic.. people there speak english, french and spanish.. etc.. you will be fine communicating with people.

The food there is amazing.. you will not have lived till you ate lebanese food. I don't want to start on this topic.. cause I will get hungry... heheeh

Religions... every religion is welcome. Of course just like anywhere in the world some do have to be less publisized. One person commented about the wake up call for prayer... wow.. nothing more powerful then hearing that... it is like a call to remember god. I am not religious.. but it is definitely moving.
If you live in Beirut the car honking will make you wish you can hear the call for prayer.

AUB is really hard to get into since it is US based school.. but others are good too.

Lebanon is a safe country. If you are open minded and friendly.. you will love it better then many places. Even the locals don't get involved in religious/political crap.. they just ignore it.

Other people post ignorant comments.. without first hand knowledge.. those people should better do their research before repeating BS that they hear on CNN... try reading the economist or the BBC.. or european news... or local lebanese news. The world is not limited to one point of view. Nor is it right to be young people like we are.. talking sh$% that we don't understand.

All of you haters stop talking war.. for a change try talking peace and love.. that sounds cheesy I know.. but you live in a war zone and come back to tell me that you think it is sane. I don't have anything against Isreal and I hope to visit there in the future. I am sad by the fact that the young people... most of them on this forum.. are brainwashed. They say medical students are the cream of the crop.. hmmmm

ha, you have been waiting a long time to use that "bump"...

ijcMD said:
ha, you have been waiting a long time to use that "bump"...

very true :) After I realized how ignorant some of the people on this thread were (in 2004) I decided to stop contributing.
Now that it's clear how many terrorists actually work and live in the city I think it's pretty obvious to all that Beirut is not a place to study.

IDFTIGER said:
Go Israel!!!

All 200+ of you. A few soldiers were kidnapped! ...Pretty barbaric over-reaction for a "democracy..."

Shadowy onion:
Way to be immature and bump an old thread when people are suffering/dying just to prove a point.

I hope you act smarter in front of your patients.

Lebanon will get over it soon insha2 Allah, and we'll see ;o)

shadowy onion said:
Now that it's clear how many terrorists actually work and live in the city I think it's pretty obvious to all that Beirut is not a place to study.

There are enough people in the Everyone forum telling Lebanese how we deserved to have our country destroyed. It'd be nice if Middle Easterners didn't have to see people dissing the country this forum as well. Obviously Beirut isn't a place anyone wants to study right now. But it's stupid to imply that Beirut is full of terrorists.

tinkerbelle said:
There are enough people in the Everyone forum telling Lebanese how we deserved to have our country destroyed. It'd be nice if Middle Easterners didn't have to see people dissing the country this forum as well. Obviously Beirut isn't a place anyone wants to study right now. But it's stupid to imply that Beirut is full of terrorists.

Tinkerbelle, I do not want to be insensitive if you are truly from Lebanon.
I am trying to back up an argument I made a few years ago regarding the presence of Hizballah in Lebanon. There was no real way to back my argument back then. I'm sorry if you were offended, but it's not the lebanese people Israel is after. In fact, it's unfortunate that the Hizballah is using you as a shield when carrying out attacks.
I hope you and your family stay safe.

Status
Not open for further replies.