Bell for Heart Sounds

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

joeDO2

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
In the first 2 years all of the faculty emphasize using the bell for heart sounds. I guess technically it is supposed to be better for low frequency sounds. I've been having difficulty lately picking up on all but the loudest murmurs and tried using the diaphragm the past few days. Its an amazing difference. I feel like I can hear so much more. Did anyone else have this experience?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
In the first 2 years all of the faculty emphasize using the bell for heart sounds. I guess technically it is supposed to be better for low frequency sounds. I've been having difficulty lately picking up on all but the loudest murmurs and tried using the diaphragm the past few days. Its an amazing difference. I feel like I can hear so much more. Did anyone else have this experience?

Wat...I don't think anyone has ever said "start out listening with the bell first". Cardiologists are the only ones I've even seen using the bell in real life anyway. Ditch that bell **** son.

Wat...I don't think anyone has ever said "start out listening with the bell first". Cardiologists are the only ones I've even seen using the bell in real life anyway. Ditch that bell **** son.

sounds good to me! our clinical encounters were led by a cardiologist and we were always instructed to use the bell exclusively for heart sounds. i guess i'll be sticking to the way i hear best for now and maybe go back to using the bell after i get some experience and see if i'm able to pick up on more of the subtleties.

What stethoscope are you using? I have a cardio III and have not required a add-on bell.

The cardio 3 has a self tuning diaphragm. Light pressure and it's supposed to act like a bell. Firm pressure and it acts like a diaphragm.

The cardio 3 has a self tuning diaphragm. Light pressure and it's supposed to act like a bell. Firm pressure and it acts like a diaphragm.

I know but there is a bell you can buy to add on to it that is supposed to be better, if memory serves me correctly.

I can hear better with the bell.. I was told to use the bell at all the locations then listen with the diaphragm.

Depends on what your looking for too (bell for S3/4, etc)

I was taught to use diaphragm for APT then diaphragm and bell for M. And also bell for carotids. It's a little weird they had u using so much bell!

More Bell please!