Below average board scores - what are my chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr. Dynamite

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I did a search, but couldn't find anyone with criteria similar to mine, so here goes:

Step 1: 190
Average grades, mostly P's with a few H's and NH's.
Neuroimaging research, publication pending.
Several school leadership positions/volunteer experiences.
Average US med school.

What are my chances in any program and what could i do to improve my situation? Any advice would be helpful. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Dr. Dynamite said:
I did a search, but couldn't find anyone with criteria similar to mine, so here goes:

Step 1: 190
Average grades, mostly P's with a few H's and NH's.
Neuroimaging research, publication pending.
Several school leadership positions/volunteer experiences.
Average US med school.

What are my chances in any program and what could i do to improve my situation? Any advice would be helpful. Thanks.

Nailing Step 2 is a must for you. A 190 on Step 1 with average grades puts you at a pretty severe disadvantage to get into the good - great programs. You can take your chances with marginal programs. Get great letters, do away rotations and get letters there also, and basically get into the mindset that you have something to prove on each rotation you go to.

Hey. I'm in the same situation. 197 on step 1. I keep hearing to nail step 2. I will do whatever I gotta do to match! :)

Monty

Members don't see this ad :)
There are lots of posts about which are the best programs, but which programs are considered marginal programs?