Below Average Comlex Level 1, Take USMLE Step 1?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sammyOMM

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I am looking for some advice. I took Comlex Level 1 and did not pass the first time. I retook Comlex level 1 and passed but with a score in the upper 400's. I am thinking about taking Step 1 during my 3rd year rotations in 1-2 months and am signed up. Is it worth the studying and time and try to take Step 1? or should I just focus on Comlex Level 2 and clinical rotations and try to improve as much as I can in those? I am looking into doing only the AOA match and looking to do IM or FM. I know that getting a decent USMLE score will help since the cutoffs are more lenient in ACGME residencies. What do you guys recommend?

Thank you in advance for the advice.

Members don't see this ad.

No, don't take USMLE. Usually I encourage everybody to take USMLE, because it improves your chances of matching by a statistically significant amount, but if you failed COMLEX once & barely passed it the 2nd time, it illustrates severe gaps in your knowledge that will not be improved in time for USMLE. I would definitely not take it, in this scenario