Below average ECs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Icy Snow

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Would my EC's be considered way below average or not?

-Organic Chemistry Research ; ~7 Months (No publications)
-Shadowing : Approximately 90 hours
-Hospital Volunteering : ~105 hours (currently volunteering 8 hours per week)
-Undergraduate Teaching Assistant for a semester in Microbiology
-School's Honor Society : ~150 hours of non-medical community service
-Additional non-medical volunteering : ~40 hours
-Paid Job (non-medical) : worked for over 3 years at 20-30 hours/week throughout school
-Second Paid Job (non-medical) : worked for 7 months at 20 hours/week during school

I know this isn't much but can I get an honest opinion on whether I am even close to average.

Members don't see this ad.

You cover all the essentials, but something that I see is that you really haven't committed to much other than the job for a prolonged period of time. I see that you are volunteering in the hospital currently, and that's great, just stick with it. Adcoms don't necessarily look at how long you have participated in a given EC as much as they look at what you have gained from the experience.

You cover all the essentials, but something that I see is that you really haven't committed to much other than the job for a prolonged period of time. I see that you are volunteering in the hospital currently, and that's great, just stick with it. Adcoms don't necessarily look at how long you have participated in a given EC as much as they look at what you have gained from the experience.

Well my plan is to continue volunteering at the hospital until medical school. I am also doing 4 hours a week of non-medical volunteering that I plan to continue. I'm just curious as to if these EC's will keep me out this year although I have somewhat competitive numbers.

Members don't see this ad :)
The point isn't how many you have done, but whether you can say they were meaningful to you and helped you learn or grow in some way. If you can articulate this on your application and in interviews, you should be fine.

Your EC's look average, if not above average. You'll be fine, just make sure you can, as said, articulate yourself well in your applications and interviews, and your acceptances/denials will have nothing to do with your involvement.