below average stats

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

beluga1326

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a rising junior with a business major and pre-med. I am conflicted with whether I have the qualifications to get into medical school and was looking to get input from people on this forum.
I have taken intro biology and chemistry, chemistry lab, both semesters of organic chemistry, organic chemistry lab, genetics so far, and my science GPA is around 3.2, 3.3...and I haven't done well in my business classes either, with my overall GPA being 3.5.
I got a C in organic chemistry 1 and B's in organic chemistry 2, genetics, chemistry 2, and chem lab.
I had forms of depression that year and went into the academic office to discuss withdrawing but ended up staying, but my grades definitely took a hit.

With my average science GPA being so low, I feel like I don't have a proper foundation for MCAT nor a good shot at getting into medical school for that matter.
Should I stay another year after I finished my major requirements and take upper division science classes to boost my GPA? Or get a masters? Are there any extra curriculars or activities that could help?
I have volunteered in a lab for two summers (including this one) and have shadowed three doctors.

Members don't see this ad.

I think you should consider the DO program;considering it's equal weight to the MD. You won't limit yourself,but things are getting harder for DO's. As the ACGME is going to create a worse system.

Your GPAs are fine for many DO schools (except CCOM and KCUMB). Retake any F/D/C science coursework. Then target DO schools.

If you're boning for that MD degree, you'll need to ace (not get Bs) a SMP or post-bac program, and MCAT as well.

Do NOT even consider MCAT unless you're fully ready for it.

And since you have depression issues, reconsider med school. It's a furnace and I've seen it break healthy students.

I'm a rising junior with a business major and pre-med. I am conflicted with whether I have the qualifications to get into medical school and was looking to get input from people on this forum.
I have taken intro biology and chemistry, chemistry lab, both semesters of organic chemistry, organic chemistry lab, genetics so far, and my science GPA is around 3.2, 3.3...and I haven't done well in my business classes either, with my overall GPA being 3.5.
I got a C in organic chemistry 1 and B's in organic chemistry 2, genetics, chemistry 2, and chem lab.
I had forms of depression that year and went into the academic office to discuss withdrawing but ended up staying, but my grades definitely took a hit.

With my average science GPA being so low, I feel like I don't have a proper foundation for MCAT nor a good shot at getting into medical school for that matter.
Should I stay another year after I finished my major requirements and take upper division science classes to boost my GPA? Or get a masters? Are there any extra curriculars or activities that could help?
I have volunteered in a lab for two summers (including this one) and have shadowed three doctors.

Members don't see this ad :)
A GPA of 3.5 shouldn't hinder your DO chances. Study hard for the MCAT.

I've seen plenty of 3.5's told to apply for MD broadly. What's the difference here? A 3.5/3.3 (assuming 80+ MCAT) should be competitive for many state schools (not CA), no?

I've seen plenty of 3.5's told to apply for MD broadly. What's the difference here? A 3.5/3.3 (assuming 80+ MCAT) should be competitive for many state schools (not CA), no?

Nah a 3.3 science gpa is pretty weak for MD I believe. Plus 80+ MCAT is not easy to obtain.

Your GPAs are fine for many DO schools (except CCOM and KCUMB). Retake any F/D/C science coursework. Then target DO schools.

If you're boning for that MD degree, you'll need to ace (not get Bs) a SMP or post-bac program, and MCAT as well.

Do NOT even consider MCAT unless you're fully ready for it.

And since you have depression issues, reconsider med school. It's a furnace and I've seen it break healthy students.

Thanks everyone for your replies. So with my current GPA, would it be better to plan to apply to a SMP/post-bac program instead of staying an extra year at my undergraduate institution and taking upper division sciences/retaking organic chemistry?

Recalculate your GPAs for both AMCAS and AACOMAS assuming you do the latter and ace everything.

An SMP, in my opinion, would be better if it's given at a medical school, because it's provides the back door at that med school. Keep in mind that you'll need to have a GPA of > 3.6 for those MD schools that value reinvention (plus a great MCAT (> 513 or so).

Thanks everyone for your replies. So with my current GPA, would it be better to plan to apply to a SMP/post-bac program instead of staying an extra year at my undergraduate institution and taking upper division sciences/retaking organic chemistry?

Will do. With your responses, I've been looking into DO schools and am interested in this route too. I have to do more research, but definitely will keep this post updated.

People do realize the OP has 2 years of college left right?

Forget all this talk about SMPs. Do well these next two years graduate with a 3.6/3.45 type gpa and with that upward trend and a good mcat acore you will be in striking distance for MDs. And to do this next two years require around a 3.7 gpa aka the equivalent of the MD average GPA. Not exactly unreasonable to ask for if you are in fact wanting to be an MD.

Now fhe bigger issue for you is to fully healthy mentally and have all of what caused issues in the past behind you. Because while you really aren't in that horrible of a position now you NEED to make these two years count

Reactions: 1 user
If you get that GPA up to about a 3.6 and score a 510 (83rd percentile) you have a good shot at MD programs. People always forget about the 50% of people UNDER the MD program averages.

Just remember that scoring above the 80th percentile is tough. So you'll have to prove yourself there.

You've got a shot at both MD and DO programs still. No reason to give up yet.

Thanks GrapesofRath and HCHopeful, that definitely gave me hope lol. I've gotten back on track with studying for MCAT regularly and also learning ahead for the science classes I'll take this upcoming semester, so hopefully it should help me get on track for boosting my GPA and for a good MCAT score. I will also take a MCAT prep course as well during the winter and either take MCAT in January or March if I feel ready.