bench research

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dksnap

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok so I'm a newbie at all of this but I had some questions of what d-schools look for.
How do d-schools consider research? I have about 3 years research experience doing my own project under the P.I., I also have am co-author on one paper and am on another review. How much will this help me in the admissions process?
Also I'm planning on shadowing my dentist starting this month. What would be considered an appropriate amount of time to be shadowing?
I'm taking the DAT in mid-June, have yet to register. What kind of scores would be good. I'm planning on getting 20+ across the board :rolleyes:
I double majored in Anthropology and Biology for my undergrad and ended up with a 3.33 overall and 3.2 science gpa.

I just want to know what my chances are at dental school. Thanks.

Oh and are filipinos considered ethnic minorities in dentistry? Just wondering because I'll need all the help I can get. Thanks. :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad.

Research will only work in your favor and dental schools will take note of it. Kudos on your accomplishments!

dksnap said:
Ok so I'm a newbie at all of this but I had some questions of what d-schools look for.
How do d-schools consider research? I have about 3 years research experience doing my own project under the P.I., I also have am co-author on one paper and am on another review. How much will this help me in the admissions process?
Also I'm planning on shadowing my dentist starting this month. What would be considered an appropriate amount of time to be shadowing?
I'm taking the DAT in mid-June, have yet to register. What kind of scores would be good. I'm planning on getting 20+ across the board :rolleyes:
I double majored in Anthropology and Biology for my undergrad and ended up with a 3.33 overall and 3.2 science gpa.

I just want to know what my chances are at dental school. Thanks.

Oh and are filipinos considered ethnic minorities in dentistry? Just wondering because I'll need all the help I can get. Thanks. :thumbup:

:rolleyes: what do you want me to do say? Good Job? Way to go?
BASICALLY, what you're asking is,

If I have a 3.33, 3.2, 2 research publications, 20+ across DAT, and shadowing, can I get into dental school?? Now do you see how sort of silly that sounds.

If it makes you feel better, YES, you WILL get into dental school. I guarantee it.

Members don't see this ad :)
I wouldnt guarantee it. You still have to be smart about where you apply. And sometimes you still dont get accepted. I have some pubs and 21+ DAT "across the boards" and I didnt even get interviews at a few schools (that I considered safety schools). Schools like UConn will interview you because of the research and DAT but with 3.3 gpa you wont get past the interview (unless you are instate). Same with some other schools. In my opinion a 3.3 is average/ and 20 DAT is becoming the norm.

Do well in you interviews. Odds are you will get accepted somewhere but dont just sit back and relax.

Chill out, you're fine. The only thing I'd suggest is moving that DAT up about a month so you can have ur app completed and submitted by early June. Seriously, it's amazing how identical your stats are to mine but I dont have any research and I got multiple interviews and got into several schools. Check out my profile at predents.com.....I'm even filipino like you, and no that doesn't help. You're still asian/pacific islander...the majority minority.

I also agree with natroncb, you gotta be smart about where you apply. Make sure you have a good mix of schools. I didn't even get interviews from some schools and I got rejected from my state school w/o an interview (im even an undergrad there - this might have helped or hurt, i dunno). The whole process can be a bit random, so just make sure you have a good mix.