Benefit to getting MBA?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PRex825

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any perceived benefit to getting an MBA, MHA, etc.? I have been told yes and no by various people. Already in a management position (with a PharmD. and BCPS). No current student loans (but not really willing to take out any... so think low cost-diploma mill type MBA). Pros? Cons? In this job market would it make any bit of a difference? Leaning towards no...

Members don't see this ad.

Definitely doesn't hurt your chances of getting into a larger hospital system as a DOP/CPO, or even COO/CEO. Nowadays you need a masters if you're young and trying to get there before you're in the latter part of your career. I'm doing the same btw.

Definitely doesn't hurt your chances of getting into a larger hospital system as a DOP/CPO, or even COO/CEO. Nowadays you need a masters if you're young and trying to get there before you're in the latter part of your career. I'm doing the same btw.
Care to share what school you're getting it through?

Members don't see this ad :)
Any perceived benefit to getting an MBA, MHA, etc.? I have been told yes and no by various people. Already in a management position (with a PharmD. and BCPS). No current student loans (but not really willing to take out any... so think low cost-diploma mill type MBA). Pros? Cons? In this job market would it make any bit of a difference? Leaning towards no...
Unless it’s top 15, don’t waste your time. If you wanna switch gears, network harder.

Reactions: 1 users
You will have more initials behind your name. Looks impressive!

If pharmDs are a dime a dozen then MBAs are a penny a dozen.

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Unless it’s top 15, don’t waste your time. If you wanna switch gears, network harder.

Nonsense.

You will have more initials behind your name. Looks impressive!

Sarcasm? If so, nonsense.

If pharmDs are a dime a dozen then MBAs are a penny a dozen.

Not wrong, but you're still going to be far more likely to climb any ladder than someone without one. Especially with MBA emphasis in healthcare management.

Last edited:
Not really looking to switch gears- already in a management position that I enjoy without the MBA. Actually quite happy where I am at and what I do. Just something I have been considering since accepting this spot...

Sounds like the responses are similar to what I have gotten as feedback locally- looks good but anybody with an internet connection can get an MBA nowadays (not far off for PharmDs really either...)

Course of action- TBD