Benefits of PhD in Plastic Surgery

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Footprints13

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Sorry if there is another thread on this I couldn't find anything in the MD/PhD section.

How do plastics programs view PhD work in non-science fields? Is a PhD in business and health care administration looked favorably (i.e. this really increases your chances). I have heard that programs do look favorably to PhD's because of their research experience and basic science skills. However, the research of my PhD would be business oriented and not science oriented. Or is it one of those things where if someone accomplished the requirements for a PhD they know research and the emphasis is placed on the fact that it was accomplished not what it was on.

My main reason for asking is that I was in an MBA program and they are starting a doctoral program and will take a majority of my credits so the time required to receive the PhD would be significantly shortened. Eventually I would like to get it and was planning on doing it after residency, but if it is something that could significantly help my application stand out I would consider doing it now.

Thank you in advance for any advice.
 
Your situation is so uncommon (non-science PhD) I don't know if anyone on here will have a good answer.

If you look at plastics outcomes for the past few years, PhDs have actually done substantially worse than non-PhDs in matching, contrary to pretty much every other field. I doubt they're taking points off for it, but they may not be awarding any either. So it's definitely worth doing some homework at the early stage, maybe talk to a plastics program director.
 
Sorry if there is another thread on this I couldn't find anything in the MD/PhD section.

How do plastics programs view PhD work in non-science fields? Is a PhD in business and health care administration looked favorably (i.e. this really increases your chances).

It's a non-issue.