Benign Disease

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
A "good sign" to predict response to treatment is an increase in pain immediately after the first fraction. This is something many you have seen when treating bone mets too, patients describe more pain after the first fraction which then fades off (some use steroids, there was even a randomized trial a while ago looking into that flare phenomenon).

"More pain" after the first fraction for arthritis treatment can be predictive for a durable response. However it's mostly seen in patients with an inflammatory component.

On a side note:

6 x 0.5 Gy has worked in a patient with atypical pain syndrome of the infraorbital nerve. Patient responded and remained pain-free for 2 years.

I was under the impression that 'pain flare' was a concern with high doses of radiation causing RT-induced inflammation compounding with a bone met. Things like 8Gy x 1, or SBRT dosing.

Are you expecting pain flare to be a thing at 0.5Gy?

Members don't see this ad.

I was under the impression that 'pain flare' was a concern with high doses of radiation causing RT-induced inflammation compounding with a bone met. Things like 8Gy x 1, or SBRT dosing.

I'm still unclear on the purported mechanism of action in osteoarthritis. If it is killing pro-inflammatory lymphocytes in the joint space, then yes, likely any cell kill could prompt the local release of cytokines and worsening pain. Lymphocytes and typically radiosensitive, so occurring at a low dose would be possible I'd think.

I started 3 patients this week. Just saw 2 this am for their on-treatment visit. Both reported notable pain relief (one in the low back, one in the knees) after only 2 fractions of 60 cGy each. Very encouraging.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I started 3 patients this week. Just saw 2 this am for their on-treatment visit. Both reported notable pain relief (one in the low back, one in the knees) after only 2 fractions of 60 cGy each. Very encouraging.
What fields/beam arrangement? Just APPA?

I'm still unclear on the purported mechanism of action in osteoarthritis. If it is killing pro-inflammatory lymphocytes in the joint space, then yes, likely any cell kill could prompt the local release of cytokines and worsening pain. Lymphocytes and typically radiosensitive, so occurring at a low dose would be possible I'd think.

I'm honestly not sure. People who poo-poo it say it's the placebo effect. Two trials that say as much:

But then there's the rebuttal:

I wouldn't think so, I think that defines "complex" planning from an insurance perspective if you aren't having to do those things

I know this is off-topic, but I'm int he process of getting the 'Business of Rad Onc' forum finalized so we can start talking about billing practices behind something resembling a closed door. Because I thought Complex treatment WAS 3D and I've just realized how much I still need to learn about this.

I always figured that the mechanism of OA was periosteum rubbing on periosteum as in an osteophyte or decreased cartilage, etc... i.e. a structural issue. This is why the pain would worsen throughout the day with activity vs worse in AM as in inflammatory maladies.

I guess if it works it works. Though the same could be said of red light therapy I suppose.

Noone really knows... But it happens often, especially in heel spurs and is considered a "good sign", but that's all of course not evidence based.

Reactions: 1 user
Noone really knows... But it happens often, especially in heel spurs and is considered a "good sign", but that's all of course not evidence based.
And why do things like this work? Good question too.

I know this is off-topic, but I'm int he process of getting the 'Business of Rad Onc' forum finalized so we can start talking about billing practices behind something resembling a closed door.
This is the biggest weak spot in current residency training. Residents should have to do a two week rotation in the billing & coding department their second and last years of training. And to make sure they get different perspectives they should also have to attend at least one national, legit billing & coding seminar.

Last edited:
Orthopod just called me.

Had a pt in a boot with achilles tendinitis with pre-RT pain of 8/10.

She completed 300 cGy in 5 fractions a few weeks ago.

He had her in the office now and her pain is "less than 1/10" and wanted to know what I did to her.

Said he will be sending me many more patients.

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Orthopod just called me.

Had a pt in a boot with achilles tendinitis with pre-RT pain of 8/10.

She completed 300 cGy in 5 fractions a few weeks ago.

He had her in the office now and her pain is "less than 1/10" and wanted to know what I did to her.

Said he will be sending me many more patients.
Will as many Americans get achilles tendinitis in 2020 as will get cancer? I think so?

Just saw a patient who is being treated to bilateral knees.

Pain preRT was 8/10.

after 4 fractions states pain is 2/10. He is extremely pleased.

When he told his PCP what he was doing his PCP said "Whaaaat?!", and to go for it.

He said he can't wait to tell his PCP how well his pain has responded.

There's something going on here...

Did you treat with opposed lats? What were your field borders?

Knee - appa

ankle - opp lat

small fields - roughly 10x10

Reactions: 1 users
Hold your horses.

Just saw a thumb that had no response.

Still could respond in the coming weeks to months. And retreatment is an option. We'll see what happens with this one...

Do you have any marketing materials you would be willing to share?

Hold your horses.

Just saw a thumb that had no response.

Still could respond in the coming weeks to months. And retreatment is an option. We'll see what happens with this one...
FWIW, Data for hand OA was weaker and showed less effectiveness than some of the other sites you've had success with

Do you have any marketing materials you would be willing to share?

No marketing.

I discuss with current patients in followup when they mention their arthritis is the main issue bothering them. Approximately 85% of those patients want to proceed.

If I marketed it we would need to double our vaults.

• Haha
No marketing.

I discuss with current patients in followup when they mention their arthritis is the main issue bothering them. Approximately 85% of those patients want to proceed.

If I marketed it we would need to double our vaults.
That's exactly what I've been doing thus far- talking only to my follow ups about it. 75-85% is what I've seen as well.

I also haven't marketed, as it would overwhelm our capacity.

Thanks for keeping us updated on this. Is there an age where you would feel uncomfortable treating?

Not an issue thus far, but since I just finished treating a trio of keloids in a 31YO female I don't think so.

Short followup (mean 87 months), higher doses. No 2nd malignant events seen.

Have a patient (20s) referred to me for RA/chronic synovitis from ortho. Ortho doesn't want to do total synovectomy as they think high risk of recurrence. Just reviewed MRI with rads, unlikely to be PVNS. Have to do my own due diligence and lit review on RA radiotherapy literature still, but probably will be treating lower dose (eg 20/10) and go with that.

Short followup (mean 87 months), higher doses. No 2nd malignant events seen.

Have a patient (20s) referred to me for RA/chronic synovitis from ortho. Ortho doesn't want to do total synovectomy as they think high risk of recurrence. Just reviewed MRI with rads, unlikely to be PVNS. Have to do my own due diligence and lit review on RA radiotherapy literature still, but probably will be treating lower dose (eg 20/10) and go with that.

do you mean 20 gy in 10 fractions?

Found some data to suggest that injection radiation synovectomy is estimated to be about 25 Gy external beam, though responses required ”about half” that dose. Stuck with the 20 Gy prescription.

Repeat 8 Gy didn’t induce any response in the hemarthrosis like it did after the first treatment, sadly. Just more localized swelling and a bit more stiff of a knee :/

CONCLUSIONS: We found no substantial beneficial effect on symptoms and inflammatory signs of LDRT in patients knee OA, compared with sham treatment. Therefore, based on this RCT and the absence of other high-quality evidence, we advise against the use of LDRT as treatment for knee OA.

CONCLUSIONS: We were unable to demonstrate a substantial beneficial effect of LDRT on symptoms and inflammation in patients with hand OA, compared to sham treatment. Although a small effect can not be excluded, a treatment effect exceeding 20% is very unlikely, given the confidence interval. Therefore, in the absence of other high-level evidence, we advise against the use LDRT as treatment for patients with hand OA.

CONCLUSIONS: We found no substantial beneficial effect on symptoms and inflammatory signs of LDRT in patients knee OA, compared with sham treatment. Therefore, based on this RCT and the absence of other high-quality evidence, we advise against the use of LDRT as treatment for knee OA.

CONCLUSIONS: We were unable to demonstrate a substantial beneficial effect of LDRT on symptoms and inflammation in patients with hand OA, compared to sham treatment. Although a small effect can not be excluded, a treatment effect exceeding 20% is very unlikely, given the confidence interval. Therefore, in the absence of other high-level evidence, we advise against the use LDRT as treatment for patients with hand OA.
Several problems with that trial, most notably that doses less than 1 Gy seem to work better than the 1 Gy / tx dose used in that trial.

Several problems with that trial, most notably that doses less than 1 Gy seem to work better than the 1 Gy / tx dose used in that trial.

Meant to add: the German ARTHRORAD trial should help answer the question, as it’s testing the German protocol of 0.6 Gy x 5 (2-3x/week I believe) and has slightly more refined inclusion criteria.

Nice Green Journal summary of the German take on the two negative RCTs. Also highlights some principles for better patient selection based on their clinical experience.

For us, the two Dutch studies were not convincing enough to change clinical practice in Germany, but they clearly brought the level of clinical trials using LDRT to a higher level than before and have opened the door for improved design and performance of future randomized trials. We summarize that future randomized trials should include patients with less advanced joint osteoarthrosis, with shorter pain intervals, longer follow-up evaluation (at least 1 year), and with a higher patient number and a reduced response difference estimate between the two or three randomized groups

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Said it in another thread about rectal cancer; I'm not sure why we bother doing randomized trials anymore.

Unless they confirm what we do, we just find some reason to ignore them.

Said it in another thread about rectal cancer; I'm not sure why we bother doing randomized trials anymore.

In the Germans’ defense, it didn’t really test what they do.

It's kinda one of those things that I can't explain why maybe 0.5Gy/fx works better than 1Gy/fx but the believers in it will say "you don't do what we do". Maybe it is all just a placebo effect.

Yes. Why would 0.6 Gy work better than 1.0 Gy? Preclinical data? Proposed mechanism of action? Any rationale at all? Anything?

Yes. Why would 0.6 Gy work better than 1.0 Gy? Preclinical data? Proposed mechanism of action? Any rationale at all? Anything?

I mean who knows? Killing off sensitive lymphocytes without provoking longer term sucblinical fibrosis which could mask treatment effect, having a narrow therapeutic window of dose? We're not used to treating with such low doses per fraction so I don't know if one can say one way or another. FWIW, as above, I am using 2 Gy/fr right now for a rheumatoid case. I'll see her next week and see how she's done with the first half of treatment.

I reread the German response and they do offer some rationale.

New articles!!!

Interesting article on re-irradiation for osteoarthritis

And a large patient collection with all kinds of benign skeletal disorders

Reactions: 3 users
Nice graph:

1576581969397.png

Have any of these groups that treat benign joints looked at arthroplasty complication rates for patients who go into get a joint replacement. The thing that would make me nervous about this is if there’s no published data about whether it increases the risk of prosthesis failure.

or if an orthopedic surgeon would be more likely to decline to do a joint replacement because they hear the patient had radiation. They get graded on their outcomes so wouldn’t surprise me if they’re very careful about patient selection

Have any of these groups that treat benign joints looked at arthroplasty complication rates for patients who go into get a joint replacement. The thing that would make me nervous about this is if there’s no published data about whether it increases the risk of prosthesis failure.

or if an orthopedic surgeon would be more likely to decline to do a joint replacement because they hear the patient had radiation. They get graded on their outcomes so wouldn’t surprise me if they’re very careful about patient selection

3 Gy in 5 fractions won't do anything. You should be able to reassure the referring orthopods that operating in a field with such small a dose should be fine.

FWIW, I have not seen any studies regarding this issue, but have seen the comment in several publications that RT does not have any effect on surgical outcomes.

However, that doesn't mean that an orthopod won't blame RT for every complication that subsequently occurs anyway.

FWIW, I have not seen any studies regarding this issue, but have seen the comment in several publications that RT does not have any effect on surgical outcomes.

However, that doesn't mean that an orthopod won't blame RT for every complication that subsequently occurs anyway.
As is tradition

• Haha

Is one truly a radiation oncologist if not getting blamed for other specialties complications?

• Haha

this is my worry. That without any evidence we don’t affect surgical outcomes they will either blame us or turn down patients that really need a joint replacement out of a fear of complications. We can tell them all we want that we wouldn’t expect this dose to make a difference but we’re not the ones doing the surgery and managing the complications