Berkeley Decisions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

scotis322

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone heard back from Berekely about final decisions? I know they said mid to late February, but it's driving me nuts....I think they said they would email people. :scared:

Members don't see this ad.

Has anyone heard back from Berekely about final decisions? I know they said mid to late February, but it's driving me nuts....I think they said they would email people. :scared:

Scotis, I am racing around SDN like a neurotic-madman looking for responses to the same questions! I am sure that once people start to hear anything form UCBSO, SDN will light up like Christmas. Good luck!

AHHHH!!!!!! I got in!!!!!!!!!!!
Keep your phones close everyone....It was via phone call!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
How did they notify you? email? snail mail?

CONGRATULATIONS Tortugabebe!

I NEEED to know if i got in or not... like.. NOW. seriously, just last night, i had 3 dreams, all encompassing the fact of whether i'm in or not. it was HORRIBLE. talk about going crazy!!!! nothing can beat that! :mad:

Thanks everyone! GOOD LUCK, AND KEEP YOUR HEADS UP!!! I was having dreams/nightmares about getting in last night too...How weird...They called at around 3pm eastern standard time.

oh i hope this is a sign!!! i got a "rejected" award in my dream.....i'm going crazy...

Hi Tortugabebe

This may be a stupid question but it was Sharon Joyce who broke the news to you rite?

I thought we were all going to get notified via email. AHHHH. Now I'm gonna be staring at my phone and checkimg my email all day!

Hi Tortugabebe

This may be a stupid question but it was Sharon Joyce who broke the news to you rite?

I thought we were all going to get notified via email. AHHHH. Now I'm gonna be staring at my phone and checkimg my email all day!

Not a stupid question at all---it was Sharon!

Last edited:
I recieved a phone call from Sharon today as well and I got accepted to Berkeley! :)

Has anyone received a phone call or email saying they DIDN'T get in? I'm getting nervous... even if the answer is no, I'd like to know one way or the other!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi thusfeye

What time did you get the call?

So Berkeley is notifying all the people who got rejected too? I wasn't really sure about that since they only talked about how people who will get accepted will be notified.

The first time she called must of been somewhere between 2-4 pm west coast time, but I was out so she left a message. I called her back around 5 pm, left a message on her voice mail and she returned it a few minutes later.

i got the call today too :) around 4 ish?
best of luck...i'm sure tomorrow there will be more phone calls ^_^
i'm looking forward to putting some real names to the sdn names come this fall (didn't get a chance to ask everyone at interview day)

Congratulations you guys!! :D I also got a phone call around 1 pm California time. Sharon said she would also be making phone calls tomorrow, so have high hopes! I look forward to seeing you guys April 20th!!! eeeiikk so excited :D

I recieved the call right as I was coming out of class haha (5ish west coast time) :D . Good luck to everyone still waiting!

Congrats folks! I also received a call yesterday around 2:30pm pacific time. I got in! :D

congratulations!!:thumbup:

just wondering for all of you that got acceptance call yesterday...did you also get your interview invitation on 12/22/06?
or...are your last names begin with "early alphabet"?

thanks.
i'm stressed out about the whole thing, and just trying to picture any possibilities....

just wondering for all of you that got acceptance call yesterday...did you also get your interview invitation on 12/22/06?

thanks.
i'm stressed out about the whole thing, and just trying to picture any possibilities....

I agree optopt, any information form the people who have already been called would be great. I can't seem to do anything other than stare at my phone today! I think it's driving me insane! :scared:

although it pains me somewhat to write this..i figure its some kind of news for everyone to chew on..

i was notified by email that i was waitlisted (#2) and the email basically said they only accepted 65 (which is contrary to what they said at interview day about accepting 71) and that after 5 ppl decline their acceptance offer (which i doubt will happen) #1 on the waitlist will be taken off AND THEN i have a chance. haha. oh well, everything happens for a reason and if i miraculously get off the waitlist then perhaps it was meant to be. i'm glad that i know though =)

good luck everybody..i hope this helped

now i just gotta wait to hear what SUNY says about my pseudo-acceptance and then admissions will be ALL OVER!!!

although it pains me somewhat to write this..i figure its some kind of news for everyone to chew on..

i was notified by email that i was waitlisted (#2) and the email basically said they only accepted 65 (which is contrary to what they said at interview day about accepting 71) and that after 5 ppl decline their acceptance offer (which i doubt will happen) #1 on the waitlist will be taken off AND THEN i have a chance. haha. oh well, everything happens for a reason and if i miraculously get off the waitlist then perhaps it was meant to be. i'm glad that i know though =)

now i just gotta wait to hear what SUNY says about my pseudo-acceptance and then admissions will be ALL OVER!!!

#2 on the waitlist is very close. you never know!!! All it takes is for 2 people to decline their offer. Good luck!!

I didn't get in.. Good luck to those of you who did.

thanks.

I was given an interview on the 22nd and my last name starts early in the alphabet. So you never know... maybe they do have an alphabetical order...;) Sharon told me they're still making calls today. There's still hope! :)

I didn't get in either and I wasn't even wait listed. Funny thing is my interviewer told me when the interview was over that I was one of the most outstanding applicants he has ever talked to. Ha! I knew something was up when he said that. I wish they could just be sincere. To be honest I knew I was going to turn down the seat if i was accepted about half way through interview day. Maybe my lack of enthusiasm/interest was evident during my interview.

Whoever that was who was #2 on the wait list don't be discouraged, I'm sure there are others like me that will (or would have) turn it down.

Good luck everyone.

I didn't get in either and I wasn't even wait listed. Funny thing is my interviewer told me when the interview was over that I was one of the most outstanding applicants he has ever talked to. Ha! I knew something was up when he said that. I wish they could just be sincere. To be honest I knew I was going to turn down the seat if i was accepted about half way through interview day. Maybe my lack of enthusiasm/interest was evident during my interview.

Whoever that was who was #2 on the wait list don't be discouraged, I'm sure there are others like me that will (or would have) turn it down.

Good luck everyone.

The interviewer may have thoguht you were an outstanding applicant, but they also did not have access to your LOR's, transcripts, or OAT scores... I'm sure they were sincere, but the interviewers have just two of several votes.

#5 on the waitlist =(

doesn't seem like very many people will decline their spot. do you guys think i should hang in there? or secure my spot elsewhere?

hey!

just wanted to let you guys know...

i was accepted yesterday and i was also in that first wave of interview invites but my last name starts with an "L" and i had my application in at the very last last day.

AND...i'll be declining my seat!

hope that helps!!! :D keep the faith guys...at least there are 65 and not 71 - and soon to be 64 - so just 5 more people have to decline...before they take waitlisters...good luck!!!

You have a good point and I don't mean to argue but I think my application materials would rank me in the top 10% of those who interviewed.

I found out today I am waitlist number 19 of 19. I was really hoping to get into Berkeley but it doesn't seem very likely. I got into the other 3 schools I applied to but this was my first choice school. Congrats to the others that got in.

congrats on you guys who got in!

can you guys post your stats to help those of us who want to go there next year?

oat: aa/ts
gpa: cum/prereq
extracurriculars: work experience? leadership?

really interested in seeing the replies for those who have lower gpas

I got a call 2 days ago and I've been accepted for a spot! I am not sure whether or not to accept yet, though. I am gonna go through with the SCCO application process and make a decision once I get an answer from them. I'm not saying I would choose SCCO over Cal, but I want all my options before I make a decision. Here are my stats hope it helps:

OAT: 370 AA / 370 TS
GPA: 2.95 cumulative / 3.5 ish prereq
Extracurriculars: worked at an optometry part-time for almost 2 years, community service and leadership positins mostly in high school, but some community service in college.

overall gpa: 2.84
prerequisite gpa: 3.4
oat: 340/340
extracurriculars: president of my sorority, community service, national debate competitor, tennis captain, church praise team singer blah blah blah
experience: full time ophthalmic technician for 1 year

i dont think im above average in any area...but i think the most critical part to this whole process is effectively communicating why you want this...via essay and then interview...and be proactive about every step...go in and meet with admissions just to introduce yourself and get your name and face into their heads...

i wrote my essay about going into geriatrics because my grandmother raised me and how i see a lot of inadequecies in elderly care today especially at the place i work. and i talked about how berkeley is a good match in that they provide a lot of services to the community particularly those in need. i think it's important to show them that youve carefully thought this decision through to every possible detail and to convince them youd be a perfect student for their particular program. oh and smile lots!

it was great fun to meet some of you on interview day (go red!) and i can't image how hard it was for the admissions committee to decide on such an accomplished group of people. we are very excited about your class! as the first class to come in all interviewed you all are going to make for one great class, not as cool as 2010...but very very very cool:)

look for my postings here this summer - i'll be putting things up about books, fun things to do etc.

hope to see you all during admit day:)

to those who did not get in...
cal is a great school, but there are 16 other great programs out there - good luck to you and keep berkeley open as an externship site/residency option.

monica:)
c/o 2010

Congrats to everyone who got in!

So does this mean Sharon is done calling everybody? Everybody should know their status by now? No more calls next week?

Hey guys,

I also got the call from Sharon on Valentine's Day about my acceptance! That means you may have a Canadian in the class of 2011!!

did anyone not receive any kind of response yet from berkeley?

Oh I didn't know this thread existed. =P

I received my phone call at 5:12 pm on Feb 14 - I was the LAST person they called (Sharon said they were calling in abc order, and my last name begins with a Y so I was the last one of the day...she said she would be re-calling the people who didn't answer their phones on Feb 15). My friend got his call around 2:30 pm and called me right afterwards, and for the next couple hours I kept staring at my phone. She called me as I was preparing for a potluck dinner for Valentine's Day with friends haha.

That's SOOOO awesome about the $2000! I thought that was super cool, I'm so grateful.

By the way, if you have decided to accept your seat at UC Berkeley, please search and join the "UCBSO c/o 2011" Facebook group! http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=2240275326

If someone wants to make a general Berkeley Optometry group, feel free. I just don't think I should be the one to do it haha.

I'd love to get to know my new classmates early on! =D

As requested:
OAT > AA 380, TS 400
GPA > Cum 3.8, Prereq 3.8 (I think? I can't remember)
Extracurriculars > Work experience included 3 summers of opthahlmology research at Stanford University, 1 summer of working for my optometrist at her group practice of 5 optometrists (3 graduated from Berkeley), and 2 quarters of TA'ing for microbiology. Leadership included leader in InterVarsity Christian Fellowship, International Christian Fellowship, and Golden Key International Honour Society. Other activities included being on an engineering team to improve a digital vision screening device for the Eye Center here. I was also part of the Pre-Opt Club here but not very active. I'm heavily involved in International House here. I also went to Costa Rica & Nicaragua for medical missions, and Tijuana to build a house. I think those are the major highlights from my college years...I did a few other things here and there but not too worth mentioning.

Oh I didn't know this thread existed. =P

I received my phone call at 5:12 pm on Feb 14 - I was the LAST person they called (Sharon said they were calling in abc order, and my last name begins with a Y so I was the last one of the day...she said she would be re-calling the people who didn't answer their phones on Feb 15). My friend got his call around 2:30 pm and called me right afterwards, and for the next couple hours I kept staring at my phone. She called me as I was preparing for a potluck dinner for Valentine's Day with friends haha.

That's SOOOO awesome about the $2000! I thought that was super cool, I'm so grateful.

By the way, if you have decided to accept your seat at UC Berkeley, please search and join the "UCBSO c/o 2011" Facebook group! http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=2240275326

If someone wants to make a general Berkeley Optometry group, feel free. I just don't think I should be the one to do it haha.

I'd love to get to know my new classmates early on! =D

As requested:
OAT > AA 380, TS 400
GPA > Cum 3.8, Prereq 3.8 (I think? I can't remember)
Extracurriculars > Work experience included 3 summers of opthahlmology research at Stanford University, 1 summer of working for my optometrist at her group practice of 5 optometrists (3 graduated from Berkeley), and 2 quarters of TA'ing for microbiology. Leadership included leader in InterVarsity Christian Fellowship, International Christian Fellowship, and Golden Key International Honour Society. Other activities included being on an engineering team to improve a digital vision screening device for the Eye Center here. I was also part of the Pre-Opt Club here but not very active. I'm heavily involved in International House here. I also went to Costa Rica & Nicaragua for medical missions, and Tijuana to build a house. I think those are the major highlights from my college years...I did a few other things here and there but not too worth mentioning.

:eek: Wow, I am sleeping and eating WAAAYYY too much.

hey pp,

i was a little confused about 71 versus 65 admit offers - i thought on interview day hearing 65 admitted and then after 5 decline they would take off the wait list - i went into SAO make sure i heard that right - and it turns out the 71 was what they used to admit - but after last year (when they eneded up with 1 too many students) they decided to play it safer in the future, hence the 65 admit offers for a class of 2011 and on- good luck to you princess, i hope to see you either in the halls next fall or at optometry's meeting next summer:)

hey pp,

i was a little confused about 71 versus 65 admit offers - i thought on interview day hearing 65 admitted and then after 5 decline they would take off the wait list - i went into SAO make sure i heard that right - and it turns out the 71 was what they used to admit - but after last year (when they eneded up with 1 too many students) they decided to play it safer in the future, hence the 65 admit offers for a class of 2011 and on- good luck to you princess, i hope to see you either in the halls next fall or at optometry's meeting next summer:)
aww thanks! thanks for checking that for me..i was considering emailing Sharon with that same quandary. I still haven't heard anything about my place on the waitlist so I assume no changes have been made. Oh well..what are you gonna do rite?

Wow...that's crazy work...very impressive...I guess I'll be joining you in the fall...congrats.