besides kaplan...

eye2eye

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have heard OVER and over again that taking the kaplan course ($1300) is not THAT helpful....and studying on your own witht the correct material will get you best score.

but I am still a bit scared to just rely on my own study habits and not take kaplan...so I have decided to just forget about the $1300 and take the damn course...

HOWEVER,
I keep hearing about "topscore" and something Achiever...what are those? where do you get those?

if I study a couple of hours everyday for 2 months...and take the kaplan course during that time as well...What else should I be doing?

basicly...where can i get the MOST PRACTICE...topscore? ???

Members don't see this ad.

eye2eye said:
I have heard OVER and over again that taking the kaplan course ($1300) is not THAT helpful....and studying on your own witht the correct material will get you best score.

but I am still a bit scared to just rely on my own study habits and not take kaplan...so I have decided to just forget about the $1300 and take the damn course...

HOWEVER,
I keep hearing about "topscore" and something Achiever...what are those? where do you get those?

if I study a couple of hours everyday for 2 months...and take the kaplan course during that time as well...What else should I be doing?

basicly...where can i get the MOST PRACTICE...topscore? ???

also, does anybody think the $32 packet kaplan sells with OAT practice is worth buying?

eye2eye said:

My thoughts exactly eye2eye! I can't speak on topscore vs oat achiever, but as far as Kaplan, I am going through it right now. I can tell you I debated back and forth and almost fainted :scared: handing over the money, but it seems worth it...so far.

Self- motivation is always great, but I know I needed the extra help. I tried to tell myself that I will study x amount of hours a day on my own, and usually ended up not doing it. They give subject tests to keep you on top of studying. Plus it is great to have the teachers of the classes to help on areas that I might have not understood as well on my own. So we will see!

side note...I am the only person in my DAT/OAT class studying for OAT, so when it comes to the physics section where we break off from DAT students, I get valuable one-on-one time with the tutor for help!

drsax said:
My thoughts exactly eye2eye! I can't speak on topscore vs oat achiever, but as far as Kaplan, I am going through it right now. I can tell you I debated back and forth and almost fainted :scared: handing over the money, but it seems worth it...so far.

Self- motivation is always great, but I know I needed the extra help. I tried to tell myself that I will study x amount of hours a day on my own, and usually ended up not doing it. They give subject tests to keep you on top of studying. Plus it is great to have the teachers of the classes to help on areas that I might have not understood as well on my own. So we will see!

side note...I am the only person in my DAT/OAT class studying for OAT, so when it comes to the physics section where we break off from DAT students, I get valuable one-on-one time with the tutor for help!

lol that's funny...private tutoring that you DIDNt have to pay for.
so the kaplan classes hold your attention and are helpful...?

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah they hold my attention. Just remember that the classes are 3 hours long...barely a 5 minute break due to having so much material to go over, but I have a pretty good attention span :) just make sure you don't watch the clock. The last few classrooms we were in had the clock behind us, so when the 3 hours were up, it seemed to go by just fine.

So overall it seems pretty helpful right now.

TopScore and OAT Achiever are both computerized programs that contain 3 practice test each.. I know for Topscore, you can purchase it online and they will send u the CD in the mail... and for the OAT Achiever, you can purchase it online and downloaded to your PC.. They are both good, from what I heard they are little tougher from the actual test.. But you can see where you weakens are in every subject and improve them. Also the OAT Achiever has detailed solution for every problem, where the Topscore just tells you what the right answer is.
For Topscore you can get it at http://www.scholarware.com/
and for the OAT Achiever http://www.3tquest.com/
Hope it helps.. Good luck

i am preparing to take the oat in a couple of weeks and was wondering if the books such as the kaplan oat (thin book with questions) was difficult than the actual test or about the same and also is it a sufficient enough along withe MCAT kaplan

Thanks

i am preparing to take the oat in a couple of weeks and was wondering if the books such as the kaplan oat (thin book with questions) was difficult than the actual test especially the physics section or about the same and also is it a sufficient enough along withe MCAT kaplan

Thanks